Thailand - Not for me

Every country has it's pros and cons and people have different needs and desires, so comparing countries is a waste of time.

Canada might be better for you, but it certainly wouldn't be for me. Canada has an amazing quality of life and culture, but so do many other countries.

For me cost of living is crucial seeing as I am not yet on a pension, so there's no better place than Thailand. But I can fully understand how some people might really not like it.

Surely if you're over 60, healthcare should be near the top of your agenda, so not sure why you'd pick Thailand. Singapore, maybe.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

And the worst...

Some folks only snap to the fact that it's them when they find out they're still miserable even in Thailand.  Or Cambodia.  Or the Bahamas.  Or... Or... 

And that can be a disturbing bit of self knowledge.

Do these people ever find out or ever admit that to themselves?

In my experience they can visit 10 cities or countries and be miserable and still blame the others.

Probably they could visit 100 places and they would blame the others...

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Psychic said:

Beautiful women...Montreal has the best looking women in Canada in my opinion. But that's probably because they have a European tradition of not going out in sweat pants and hair rollers. Anyway, I'm married. Can look but not touch.

Yes, I spent 15 years in Montreal and most of my relationships were with French women. Very genuine, compassionate and curious (especially about other nationalities). I love them, but they can be very emotional and unreliable. Toronto has improved a lot in the looks department, though. It has to be due to immigration policies. Also people eat better these days. You can make fun of millennials with their avocado sandwiches, but they do seems to be aware of the fact that you are what you eat. Perhaps it's also the fact that most condos nowadays come with gym/yoga studios and pool so people can exercise after work. 

I'm not saying all the cities are like this. Smaller and poorer towns will have different demographics.

And I just gotta laugh at these supposed Canadians who say Toronto is overpriced and full of crime. Lie. Per square foot Toronto condos are on equal pricing to polluted Bangkok condos that start falling apart after 10 years. The crime is non existent except a few lunatics here and there which every city has them. 

4 minutes ago, strikingsunset said:

so - once again what is the age of the OP ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Who cares other than you.

I was a different person at age  20, 30, 40 etc. What my priorities were back in those time were different from my 50s, 60s and now 70s.

• Like 2

...re...wife...it has nothing to do with being 'scared'....we are fooled too easily...and after 100 years (?) of marriage scams....they are 'well-versed'....we are not...

...in Thailand...they have all the advantages....plain and simple....

...and that is the only reason why they marry us....

...I like to think there is the 'odd percent exception'....

...but realistically....in the long run...they always cash in.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Because I can.

Let me scan my still valid non-o visa, so I can have the birtright to post on this forum.

Yes, you can do it , but , I wondered why you choose to do it .

I am not saying that you shouldnt have done it , I just wondered why you did it

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is not for everyone. I do agree that by living here, we are giving up some things. For me, the culture part of the equation is a sacrifice. I would love to be able to have access to great live jazz, stand up comedy, the ballet, art museums, and other such luxuries. I definitely do not have them here, with the exception of MOMA in Bangkok, which is outstanding, but there are only so many times I can visit! 

However, some of us enjoy a very good life here. On my relatively modest income and savings, I live a whole lot better here, than I would in the US. I like most of the people here, and find most to be far more pleasant, light hearted, fun, helpful, and kind, than the average American I run into back there. I also like the food here, though I miss the sheer variety back there, and the ease of travel within the region. There are alot of other aspects of life here I enjoy. Granted, I have a wonderful wife, who is delightful to be around on a daily basis, and that is after many years of being together. Granted, we could live in the US. But we would both be bored to tears there, very quickly. As I said, Thailand it is not for everyone. You have to be able to overlook alot of nonsense here. And you have to be light hearted, and not take things too seriously. And be very adaptable. 

Though I do enjoy the cleanliness back in the states, much of the rest of the lifestyle leaves me cold. Just take the malls for example. Here, the malls are downright entertaining. I can spend hours at Siam, or Central in Bangkok, and just admire the gorgeous gals, the selection of foods, and the vibrant life within them. In the US the malls are dull, fabulously uninteresting, lifeless, devoid of flavor, sterile, and have horrendous food, overpriced cinemas, and alot of really unattractive people. Not much bird watching!

The sheer predictability of every day life back there is mind numbing for me. And the cost of living is staggering, these days. Whoever says inflation is low in the US, is lying through their teeth!  

I hope and I pray I never have to live in the US again. In my opinion the quality of life is dropping by the day. I love it here and hope to spend my dying days here. 

I share your opinions except I like the Bangkok symphony and some of the guests that play here. The Chinese musicians are pretty cheap and excellent musicians.  I also take a trip to Europe for a month in the summer to see lots of art, theater, and eat cheese and drink wine. There is a good jazz club in BKK near Victory Monument.  

But the best live jazz has to be New Orleans and the best blues Chicago or Memphis and the best music for all types Austin Texas and never miss a show at Carnegie Hall In NYC or Royal Albert Hall in London. Cheers. 

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You would be surprised how many foreigners talk shit about the Thai male attitude and do a runner from their kid(s) and wife themselves, because they can't heck it.

On this forum we hear how a bargirls steals a man’s life savings. On the Issan local forum  you hear how expats one day run out of money or most just disappear one day and never say goodbye or send any word or money. Just walk out and disappear. Both stories have some basis in truth but I still think it is the exception not the rule. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I share your opinions except I like the Bangkok symphony and some of the guests that play here. The Chinese musicians are pretty cheap and excellent musicians.  I also take a trip to Europe for a month in the summer to see lots of art, theater, and eat cheese and drink wine. There is a good jazz club in BKK near Victory Monument.  

But the best live jazz has to be New Orleans and the best blues Chicago or Memphis and the best music for all types Austin Texas and never miss a show at Carnegie Hall In NYC or Royal Albert Hall in London. Cheers. 

Yes, all of that! I think the club you are referring to is called Saxophone. One of the only jazz clubs in Bangkok, much less Thailand. I heard the symphony was good. Thanks for the tip. Check out MOCA Bangkok. Up near Don Muang. Truly a world class museum. Put together by Boonchai Bencharongkul, the guy who founded DTAC. He tried to get the money from the Thai government, to house his extensive, world class art collection. When they would not come up with the funds, due to an astonishing lack of vision, he bought the land, and built the museum out of his own pocket. A spectacular building, with the best contemporary art I have ever seen in Thailand. Never even knew art on this level existed here. 

Read more at: http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/moca.htm?cid=ch:OTH:001

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Because I can.

Let me scan my still valid non-o visa, so I can have the birtright to post on this forum.

Myanmar. ?  

Hear it's all the fashion. ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, all of that! I think the club you are referring to is called Saxophone. One of the only jazz clubs in Bangkok, much less Thailand. I heard the symphony was good. Thanks for the tip. Check out MOCA Bangkok. Up near Don Muang. Truly a world class museum. Put together by Boonchai Bencharongkul, the guy who founded DTAC. He tried to get the money from the Thai government, to house his extensive, world class art collection. When they would not come up with the funds, due to an astonishing lack of vision, he bought the land, and built the museum out of his own pocket. A spectacular building, with the best contemporary art I have ever seen in Thailand. Never even knew art on this level existed here. 

Read more at: http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/moca.htm?cid=ch:OTH:001

Thank you for that.

In a previous life I tried to see some great venues.

Visited the Hermitage which made the Louvre a little disappointing.

Didn't know anything like this existed in Thailand.