Thailand - Not for me

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A report every 90 days that you can do online, and renewing a retirement extension once a year? Oh yeah, it's a bloody nightmare!

Haha, your joking right. How about you just scroll through the TV forum a bit and see if everyone's situation is so easy as yours. After all everyone is just like you, just an easy 90 day online report and a breeze of a retirement extension once a year.

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And you can stay there as long as you like without a visa of any sort ?

Got permanent residency in Panama 2 months. Don't need a visa at all. I come, go and work as I please. 

Edited by vinegarbase

53 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

There you go. I also don't know why anyone willingly puts up with the insane 90 day immigration nonsense and their insane address reporting regulations. Different strokes for different folks. I guess some don't mind being caged and herded. I enjoy freedom.

I enjoy my cheap life and freedom even being quest and yeah I hear what your saying I got kids of my own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, there isn't. I had a tenant living in my place for the past 4 years and paying my mortgage. He moved out and I moved in. The plan is (was?) to fix up the place a bit and charge more rent. I also have some health issues that are worse in Thailand.I just don't want to go back to a filthy country anymore. 

If you think there is anything else you can add it to the story with your vivid imagination.

What a hell does it mean "bottled it??"

Respect your choice!

Im not sure I will stick around here in Thailand in 10 years, not even 5, but I try, as I see the adventages it gives me as so long. I have other options and really do not feel stuck yet. But, yes, clean air, cold air, snow, mountains, skiing, clean water, fresh cold water seafood, cheap wine, bread, and so much more as good clean public toilets with quality paper inside and soap. 

Enjoy ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinegarbase said:

Sure, I was just simply adding to my original statement that immigration CONTINUES has goten

So giving my opinion that I don't like the burdensome immigration regulations like 90 day extensions despite having a visa, 90 day stay reporting, having to re register my address within 24 hrs even if I didn't move, and having to apply and pay for a permit despite already having a visa if I want to leave the country and come back that somehow I am badmouthing Thailand? As long as I am following the law I am welcome to go where I please. I am also free to criticize things according to my opinion and I don't need your permission to do so SON.

Yep.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

How many people moved to Thailand and didn't like it and left as well including the OP? What's your point? My original comment was about how I was agreeing to one of his points about the visa runs being a hassle for people. I added in my own opinion about how overbearing visa regulations DOES make life a nightmare for many in Thailand and not everyone fits in the 90 day online report easy 1 year retirement visa category. So you are actually defending the practice that foreigners should be required to register their address within 24 hours every single time they enter the country whether they have moved or not? Why is that necessary and how is that not a nonsense, frustrating, time wasting policy. 

I went to Panama on a 180 day visa exemption and within 2 months had my permanent residency. Can you do that in Thailand? Like I said, some people just love to be herded cattle, and if you like that then good for you but for me I am going to criticize these policies because between nations there is a concept called diplomacy. I don't see Thai's on work permits having to do 90 day check ins and address registrations in Western countries, so is it right to want a bit of diplomatic reciprocal treatment as a guest?

Your points are all very valid although some a bit exaggerated,  before staying Thailand people knew what is required of them to stay and it's their choice whether to stay or not.

If you wish to change things here in Thailand to suit you well go ahead and goodluck with that.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good luck with your decision, there are many reasons why people end up in Thailand, to cut long story mine was retirement it ended up offering me more than I could expect in the UK as a retired person.

I don't understand young people living here and having families unless they are part time and there retirement is planned for their future here.  

Hope things work out for you, keep ya chin up ?

This is just ignorance...thailand for the majority of time only had young(er) people from the West here...there are good jobs out there, good international schools, Asia has been booming since the mid 80’s, the retiree is a new phenomena. 

52 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I'm from Canada too and every single time I went back before got me quite depressed, to be honest.

the winters are horrendous.. we're talking generally cold from October to May.. last time I left around May 15th there was still snow on the side of the road

I am guessing shoveling snow for 2 hours every time there is snowstorm is not on the menu if you live in highrise but hey

when I am back home, I miss the fresh markets, the soi food, the beach, the hot weather, the women, being able to walk outside without freezing my ass off.

Meanwhile, I miss the ski slopes, ice fishing and change in seasons.  A lot of it depends on your hobbies and how willing you may be to try some new ones that are more indigenous to wherever you're living.

In Texas, I did a lot of water skiing and no snow skiing.  In Wyoming, I did a lot of snow skiing and a little water skiing.  Had I wanted to do the opposite living in either place, airfare would have busted my piggy bank.

And I was perfectly content in both places, just like I was content when they sent my paycheck to So California instead of Wyoming.  And when I collected my paycheck in BKK instead of China.  I just adapted my activities to match what's available.

Today, I'm missing Thailand, on my way back to Texas.  But I'm looking forward to everything I missed when I left Texas.

About the weather, I found out that I can always add more clothes, and today's insulation is worlds ahead of what I had growing up.  But once I'm down to my skivvies and still sweating my butt off, I can't take off any more out in public.  And technology hasn't come up with anything to make that better- at least outdoors where my favorite activities happen.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, there isn't. I had a tenant living in my place for the past 4 years and paying my mortgage. He moved out and I moved in. The plan is (was?) to fix up the place a bit and charge more rent. I also have some health issues that are worse in Thailand.I just don't want to go back to a filthy country anymore. 

If you think there is anything else you can add it to the story with your vivid imagination.

What a hell does it mean "bottled it??"

If you say that someone has bottled it, you mean that they have lost their courage at the last moment and have not done something they intended to do. He was scheduled to appear on the TV Show, but bottled it at the last minute. bottle.

• Thanks 1