Web Domain And Webhosting

LaoPo

Web domain and WebHosting

Gents:

Please advise me.

My wife (we are in Europe) made a website -in Frontspace- herself and is looking to register her domainname and Webhosting.

I don't know anything about this process myself.

Q1: does it matter with whom you register ? (it will be a local-interest name only, so the country .xx is enough)

Q2: Her website (when completely finished) will be around 100MB; she will not attract a lot of traffic (womens' beauty facial treatment in local area only). How much MB Webspace Hosting does she need ?

The company below seems to be lowpriced with a 24/7 helpdesk with 1000MB Webspace at Euro 1,25/month (50-60 Baht/month)

Q3: what do you advise ?

https://www.one.com/

Your input would help us a lot !

LaoPo :o

I used godaddy to register my domain name, quite cheap and no complaints.

They also host (for a charge) but I haven't used their hosting services. I am a thrifty person and use the free hosting of Bravenet :o

I used godaddy to register my domain name, quite cheap and no complaints.

They also host (for a charge) but I haven't used their hosting services. I am a thrifty person and use the free hosting of Bravenet :D

Thank you so much.

I checked the Bravenet's 'free hosting' page but it says that one has 50MB free diskspace but I suppose that isn't enough for my wife with 100MB webpage....? :o

LaoPo

I used goDaddy.com to register my domain and use a free account from www.110mb.com for hosting.

Their service is very good and they give you plenty of space and bandwidth (Plus, no banner ads or anything)

You can check my site out, and see if it loads fast enough for you, the address is www.bangkokdiaries.com

110mb offers:

2000mb of space

100000mb of bandwidth

That should be enough for just about anyone, but you can upgrade if you need more.

Edited by Norrad

for name registration i use moniker, im still looking for a good server also....with moniker you can 'cloak' the url to a free server like geocities, and your url will be displayed, instead of saying something like www.geocities.com/nanahotels , it would just say www.nanahotels.com

I used 3ix a while back and I lived to regret it.

I've been having some issues with them lately too. They started being noticeably less helpful about the same time they introduced the ticket-based help system. They've had a few server/security issues lately and have been a lot less open about it than in the past.

I am wondering if they outsourced the helpdesk or something. It's a shame because they 'had it right' before, service used to be outstanding.

I believe to get a .co.th name you have to regsiter as a company with the govt.

Wrong! For to register with .co.th you don't need any company and even as foreinger you can register! Only if you want to register .or.th, biz.th or net.th you'll need a company or organization registration with the Govt!!

Not the cheapest one but very good service, special with Dyna,mic DNS Service, is no-ip.com and you can easy host your own server at home (if you have a broadband connection 24/7!) incl. free Sub-Domains!

I using no-ip.com for several years already without any problems and running a mtotal of 9 different servers on their service! All servers are in my office and the Up-Time is 99.99%!! Cost me US$ 35 per year per server incl. Domain Registration! No hassle. no trouble, no down time, fast response from service, free phone support and and and!! A service I like to pay for!!

I used 3ix a while back and I lived to regret it.

I've been having some issues with them lately too. They started being noticeably less helpful about the same time they introduced the ticket-based help system. They've had a few server/security issues lately and have been a lot less open about it than in the past.

I am wondering if they outsourced the helpdesk or something. It's a shame because they 'had it right' before, service used to be outstanding.

I was a new customer of theirs. I paid 702 Baht into their representative's account in Thailand. They were the most unhelpful people I had ever come across. They'd either cut and and paste asnwers in their replies from a ready made list or never replied. They advertised money back guaranteed. So after 10 days of horror I send then 5 e-mails requesting a refund. None of my e-mails were answered. I even sent a sms to their representative in Phuket. No reply as well.

AVOID 3ix!!!

Edited by Flow

Wrong! For to register with .co.th you don't need any company and even as foreinger you can register! Only if you want to register .or.th, biz.th or net.th you'll need a company or organization registration with the Govt!!

are you sure, it says here:http://register.thnic.co.th/policy.html

you have to be a company. Have been able to do it anyway? Can you tell us how?

Edited by lingyai

are you sure, it says here:http://register.thnic.co.th/policy.html

you have to be a company. Have been able to do it anyway? Can you tell us how?

You need to register over an Hosting Company because to register by ThaiNIC you have to b e an Hosting "Provider", you can't register a private Domain! Even with ISP's you can register like TRUE or others!

True, but the problem is that 99% of webhosting companies are monkeys. Finding one that gives a shit about customer service (never mind the BS on their website) and that has a real live human being available to solve problems is not that easy. Even with large international names like Yahoo you can get stuck in a stream of automated responses and canned replies.

It's when things go wrong that you find out if you have a good host or not.

True, but the problem is that 99% of webhosting companies are monkeys. Finding one that gives a shit about customer service (never mind the BS on their website) and that has a real live human being available to solve problems is not that easy. Even with large international names like Yahoo you can get stuck in a stream of automated responses and canned replies.

It's when things go wrong that you find out if you have a good host or not.

I had to call Godaddy yesterday. 10 seconds to wait for an operator who spoke english as his first language, and knew what he was talking about. Problem solved and back to work within 2min.

cdnvic, I think you were lucky. Usually these "helpdesks" are just call centers with minimally qualified staff who are only able to help as long as your problem is on a short list of frequently asked questions.

The cost of the hardware, the maintenance, the network has not changed much the last years, but due to everyone hoping for a quick buck the competition has caused prices to go lower and lower. A standard hosting server with, say 100 GB disk space cost min. $1,200 per year yet it is easy to find companies offering you hundrede of gigabytes of disk space, terabytes of bandwidth and all for 10 bucks per year. It's just not possible. If you want good service you have to pay the price.

Edited by Phil Conners

I'm paying them about $700 a year so I expect good service. They aren't too expensive but they aren't the cheapest either.

I've had to contact them on average every month or so for various reasons (tech support, server reboots, billing changes, etc) and the service has always been excellent. They even call me everytime I set up a new service and make sure things are working as I expected.