Thai maid steals valuables worth 500k THB from American tourist, buys car with the proceeds

rooster59

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

This tourist is living in la-la land thinking that she can leave such valuable items laying around and that they will be ok if she put the do not disturb sign, is she that dumb of is that the first time she's traveling, and what with all the expensive jewelry and handbag coming to Thailand, wouldn't put it past this woman to be an insurance con job even though the maid has confessed...

Wow!  When I read the article, I thought the woman who confessed to stealing it was at fault!  Thanks for showing me that it wasn't her fault at all, and not only was it was completely justifiable, but it was actually the tourist's fault!

BTW- everything stolen in this case was safer in the hotel room, even if she had left the door unlocked and put out a welcome mat.  Do you have any idea how many robberies/thefts there are around the clock in Pattaya?  Every few days or a week a snatch and grab or pickpocket or assault with theft makes the news.  And that's only when the police catch the suspect (otherwise, the authorities squash it before it tarnishes the good image of this safe and family friendly beach paradise). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

Was this the first time Ms. Nguyen traveled outside of the US or possibly the first time she stayed in a hotel?
Who in their right mind leaves cash and jewelry in a hotel room?  Even keeping it in a hotel's safe isn't 'safe' given that here in Thailand the hotel's liability is some fraction of the amount stolen.  You keep your valuables on you. You don't leave them in a room or in a hotel safe unless you have your own insurance that will cover you in case of theft.

"Keep your valuables on you", what?  Walking around in Pattaya?  Jesus Christ, dude!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mvdf said:

Jesus.. the entire lot of expats posting acidic comments here about the victim of this crime... "stupid her".. "brainless she".. "idiot who leaves valuables in room"..

I can smell the stink of jealousy and resentment in these keyboard warriors as they spitefully type and type and type and type their comments here. I certainly get it. Some of you can't afford to buy diamonds and jewellery. There is no need to malign Ms Nguyen for her loss.

She left a "do not disturb" sign on the door. She is entitled to decide whether or not to leave her valuables and documents in her room and to expect the implied privacy of a do not disturb sign. Labeling her stupid, negligent or an idiot is uncalled for. 

My thoughts exactly.  Worse yet, they think it is perfectly safe to wear the jewelry and carry the documents in her designer bag and just frolic around in Pattaya of all places.  Yeah, it's not like there are daily assaults, thefts, snatch and runs, or picked pockets happening every five minutes there.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, the Pol Col added that Ms Nguyen said the incident hadn’t put her off Pattaya and that she said she intended to return to the resort again in the future.

If that's her in the picture , we can  always meet for a cup of tea.

Vietnamese American lady with money to spend. Let's hook up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I guess she is American (Tracy) married to a Vietnamese man.

She looks Vietnamese of origin to me, could have been adopted by an American family after the Vietnam war . Her age is right . 

10 hours ago, mvdf said:

She left a "do not disturb" sign on the door. She is entitled to decide whether or not to leave her valuables and documents in her room and to expect the implied privacy of a do not disturb sign. Labeling her stupid, negligent or an idiot is uncalled for. 

Yeah her big mistake was not changing it to a “do not take all my valuables” sign. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BestB said:

If only people had a clue prior to posting on thai visa it would have been so much better .

vogue is not in Pattaya Klang and not 800 per night.

OK,

I posted a link saying according to Agoda it is, now can you please post your link showing it isn't?

Next, according to police reports, it is!

quote;-

Thai woman has confessed to stealing valuables worth almost 500,000 baht from an American tourist in Pattaya.

Pimsiri Boonchu, 26, was working as a maid at the Vogue Hotel in Pattaya Klang when she committed the theft earlier this month.

American Tracy Nguyen, 48, told police how she had put the ‘do not disturb’ sign before leaving her room at the hotel on 4 August.

link:-

https://www.agoda.com/vogue-pattaya/hotel/pattaya-th.html?checkin=2018-09-04&los=1&adults=1&rooms=1&cid=1744576&tag=be06577d-5d0b-b4da-3c77-e626bae068e3&searchrequestid=2b788dd2-438e-42af-8af3-584caa8ad038#nohash

BestB,

So please enlighten us poor misguided fools where we read it wrong and give us your famous ' clue ' which will be ' so much better '

Also, the term Klang in Thai refers to central or centre. It is not a specific location.

ents กึ่ง speaker_sm.gif geungL half; middle; midway; semi-
star.gifกลาง speaker_sm.gif glaangM the middle; the center
synonym ตรงกลางphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif dtrohngM glaangM in the center; in the middle
example จุดกึ่งกลางphr_link.gif jootL geungL glaangM midpoint; intermediate point
Edited by Scouse123
addition

8 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Worse yet, they think it is perfectly safe to wear the jewelry and carry the documents in her designer bag and just frolic around in Pattaya of all places.  Yeah, it's not like there are daily assaults, thefts, snatch and runs, or picked pockets happening every five minutes there.

Spot on keysersoze276!

I would like to be a fly on the wall if she doesn't get her property back and goes to meet the insurance claims department!

Q. Did you place your valuables in the room safe?

A. No.

Q. We understand they provide a main safe and security boxes manned 24 hours in reception, did you place them in there?

A. No.

Q. Why not? What precautions did you take to secure your valuables and property?

A. I put a ' Do not disturb " sign on the door!

Ah, OK madam, we'll get back to you shortly!

Edited by Scouse123

On 8/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, rooster59 said:

After the theft Pimsiri, who suddenly quit her job as a maid, sold the stolen items and bought a Honda Civic car with the proceeds

Hahaha! Brings to mind the famous scene in Goodfellas, post- Lufthansa heist. 

image.png.74aa664af367b65495b6283e28865b5b.png

'What's wrong witchyu?'

...I'm not sure who the bigger imbecile is, the maid or the tourist!

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

On 8/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, faraday said:

At 48 years old, Tracy must be completely stupid to leave all of her valuables in her room.

And had she wore those jewelleries and got robbed, people would have called her stupid. Catch-22.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:52 AM, lanista said:

I wonder why a well off  Vietnamese woman was floating around Pattaya? Married to a wealthy yank?

Why was she there in Pattaya of all places.

Would make an interesting story.

Go on then; make one up.

17 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

If anyone wants your valuables in that case, they will just take the whole suitcase away and cut the lock off somewhere else 

This thief must have known their was cctv outside the rooms and she still did it anyway.... 

True. That could easily happen. But it does not. Most of these crimes are crimes of opportunity. They see it, and they take it. Out of sight, out of mind. If it is well hidden, nobody is going to steal a suitcase. The would have to know there are valuables or alot of cash inside. In the decades of travel, I have used the luggage lock system, and never once has a bag been broken into, nor a bag stolen. It works. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 4:52 AM, lanista said:

I wonder why a well off  Vietnamese woman was floating around Pattaya? Married to a wealthy yank?

She's American . Pattaya is a major international destination for people from.all over the world. There is no interesting story at all in her choice of destination. 

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

She's American . Pattaya is a major international destination for people from.all over the world. There is no interesting story at all in her choice of destination. 

Pattaya is not a popular destination for wealthy women on solo holidays..... 

On 8/26/2018 at 10:52 AM, lanista said:

Where in the story does it say that the lovely Ms. Nguyen is Vietnamese?

On 8/26/2018 at 1:25 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Police say that in total 464,000 baht worth of valuables were stolen from Ms Nguyen, who has now returned to the United States.

How fortunate that she had a second passport available with an entry stamp to enable her to depart legally........

Idiotic post. So would you stay in Thailand forever  if you ever had your passport stolen?