Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

As dark as a lot of the windows are tinted, I drive around with my windows down whenever I can, just so I can see better.  In fact, I scraped the tint film off my windshield so I'd be safer at night.  Not to mention anyone on the road in front of me.

I find that I'm much more likely to be waved through a checkpoint for my white skin than targeted at one.

Not meaning to hijack this thread.. But.. My toyota vios has a tint which reduces visibility especially at night. Comes off easy? Will a car wash place remove it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 1happykamper said:

Not meaning to hijack this thread.. But.. My toyota vios has a tint which reduces visibility especially at night. Comes off easy? Will a car wash place remove it?

Mine was an aftermarket film, and I scraped it off myself with a (very hard to find in Thailand) razor scraper.  I suspect most dark tints are a film that will scrape off.  It's pretty easy if you have a scraper, but it does take some elbow grease to get all the adhesive off.  Still, I was able to do it myself in less time than it would have taken to drive to a care wash.  But if you're there anyway...

50 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Mind you, we are talking about the reigning POTY. (Bows in respect and admiration in such a great one's presence)

Some of you might be unaware that Trans spends most of his time travelling the rural districts and opening farming cooperatives and old people's homes.

Well my one off TVF POTY winner T-shirt is the talking point nationwide, l now have a Secretary....?

Mind you, we are talking about the reigning POTY. (Bows in respect and admiration in such a great one's presence)
Some of you might be unaware that Trans spends most of his time travelling the rural districts and opening farming cooperatives and old people's homes.

He also visits the ‘needy’ in hospital too!
A legend in his own lunchtime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

He also visits the ‘needy’ in hospital too!
A legend in his own lunchtime!

But am still waiting for my "gold" dots under my avatar, I refused to pay...?

Whilst on the subject of TV POTY, November will soon be here and aside from the end of the rainy season, the veteran TV posters' thoughts will be turning to the up and coming POTY contest. Campaigning shall begin in haste around that time and the old croneys will come out of the woodwork to enjoy the annual mud slinging festivities.

Expect the lawyers enjoy the contest, what with all the libel suits that seem to pop up then.

Trans can't enter as he is the title holder and remains so until it's time to hand over the garters and tiara.

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Whilst on the subject of TV POTY, November will soon be here and aside from the end of the rainy season, the veteran TV posters' thoughts will be turning to the up and coming POTY contest. Campaigning shall begin in haste around that time and the old croneys will come out of the woodwork to enjoy the annual mud slinging festivities.

Expect the lawyers enjoy the contest, what with all the libel suits that seem to pop up then.

Trans can't enter as he is the title holder and remains so until it's time to hand over the garters and tiara.

Drat, I was aiming for a second term, l thoroughly enjoyed the garter...?

Who really gives a rat's butt whether foreigners or anyone else drive around whether windows up or down?  
When I grew up in Australia, air conditioning in cars was extremely rare so in the summer months everyone would drive around with their windows down to keep cool rather than to "be kool"
It only became law in the late 70's that hanging your elbow out the window became illegal because by that time 99% of cars on the road were fitted with electric indicator signals to let other drivers know your intentions.
Before that, everyone had to use hand signals so it was far more convenient to have the window down rather that have to wind it down each time you wanted to navigate to a new route.
They even had "window visas" which fitted on to the front door window frame so you could still drive with the window down in the rain without getting your right side wet which also offered some protection to your arm if you had it hanging out because it made the vehicle slightly wider so less chance of another driver misjudging and side swiping your car.

So if you  can view the local scenery better and want to drive around with your driver's side window open, it's not going to turn my head in amazement or condemnation.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:24 AM, rickjza said:

I don’t understand why foreigners drive around town with their driver’s side window down and their arm hanging out over the door.

Because the maximum setting of my airconditioning is 28C and it's too cold so I prefer a fresh breeze to keep me cool.

8 hours ago, kellio said:

Who really gives a rat's butt whether foreigners or anyone else drive around whether windows up or down?  
When I grew up in Australia, air conditioning in cars was extremely rare so in the summer months everyone would drive around with their windows down to keep cool rather than to "be kool"
It only became law in the late 70's that hanging your elbow out the window became illegal because by that time 99% of cars on the road were fitted with electric indicator signals to let other drivers know your intentions.
Before that, everyone had to use hand signals so it was far more convenient to have the window down rather that have to wind it down each time you wanted to navigate to a new route.
They even had "window visas" which fitted on to the front door window frame so you could still drive with the window down in the rain without getting your right side wet which also offered some protection to your arm if you had it hanging out because it made the vehicle slightly wider so less chance of another driver misjudging and side swiping your car.

So if you  can view the local scenery better and want to drive around with your driver's side window open, it's not going to turn my head in amazement or condemnation.

And what about those little "flippers" that popped out the side of the car or yellow hands on trucks that indicated you were turning or stopping.

And what about those little "flippers" that popped out the side of the car or yellow hands on trucks that indicated you were turning or stopping.

They were called ‘trafficators’. Damn, now I’m showing my age!!!

14 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

.Only worked when Dad thumped the pillar in his old Auto Union. Frozen in mainly.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, kellio said:

It's illegal to hang your arm out the window in Australia?  That's as daft as your bike helmet rules.

While we're about it - does anyone know where I can get a door and window for my bicycle?

SC

I believe there is several reason for driving with the window down:

1. A/C broken, no money to repair.

2. User manual only in Thai, don't know how to turn on A/C. 

3. Fuse broken to windowlift motor.

4. Bad stomache after last evening eating som tam. 

I believe there is several reason for driving with the window down:

1. A/C broken, no money to repair.
2. User manual only in Thai, don't know how to turn on A/C. 
3. Fuse broken to windowlift motor.
4. Bad stomache after last evening eating som tam. 

Driver smokes
It’s nice out

Archived