Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

I don’t understand why foreigners drive around town with their driver’s side window down and their arm hanging out over the door.

By doing so you are putting a target on yourself.

I’ve been driving here since 2002 and I feel this is an accident waiting to happen.

Are these people showing off? Why draw the attention, Thais know they have right of way every time, the police will pay more attention to you.

Grow up people, leave the windows up.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned nothing about smoking.

I hope for your sake you wind the window up when the cigarette is finished,

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

Putting a target on themself?

.... Did you fall off a barstool and smack your head?

... The vast majority of those around us don't care a dash who is on the next car.

Really though... How could you possibly think this makes us a target? & for what? 

Police? They don't care either.. It's only paranoid folk who suspect being targeted when in reality on thr roads we are treated with equal indifference.

But the real question begs to your 'grow up' comment? You some how think it's immature to drive with your window open?

You are thinking just a little too much about the harmless actions of others... Who really cares in the slightest if someone wants to drive with their window open?

As dark as a lot of the windows are tinted, I drive around with my windows down whenever I can, just so I can see better.  In fact, I scraped the tint film off my windshield so I'd be safer at night.  Not to mention anyone on the road in front of me.

I find that I'm much more likely to be waved through a checkpoint for my white skin than targeted at one.

Just now, rickjza said:

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

Chummy, I have been here a long time and the last thing on my mind is the BiB pulling me because my window is down, plus it has never happened...☺️

Just now, rickjza said:

You are expressing an exceptional level of paranoia....

... Thailand wouldn't be worth living in if we had to think like this...

It may be time to realise... No one cares if we (Westerners) are here or not. We are simply thought of and treated with the same indifference Thai's treat each other... 

21 minutes ago, rickjza said:

fined for what ??

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Well I did think of a poll for this weeks daftest post award....

There are places in the world where it's safer for foreigners to remain behind dark tinted windows when they're driving or being driven around.

I haven't found Thailand to be one of them.  But it's easy to see how someone may get the impression it is...

I have been targeted for back handers in Thailand.  But so do locals.  And more often, I get waved through checkpoints faster since there's not much risk I'm a dissident making my way to wherever the protests are scheduled.  And I have been sent on my way once or twice each year when I couldn't understand what the cop was asking me and just handed over my DL, insurance and registration papers.

So, this thread wouldn't come close to getting my vote for having the daftest post.  Some of the meanest replies, maybe...

Well, another reason for driving with the window open and arm hanging out, is some of us older California boys, drove around with the window open, since we didnt have air con, and now we are very comfortable like that. It just seems weird that you see that as an invite for an attack! hahahaha. 

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

There are places in the world where it's safer for foreigners to remain behind dark tinted windows when they're driving or being driven around.

Indeed, but as far as most of Thailand is concerned the biggest hazard is getting a dose of "truck-driver's arm".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trucker's arm

As part of the reason for the checkpoints is to see who is in the vehicle it is obvious that a window down already will generally mean you are waved on thai or not.  If you are not on the photo board they are shown before shift that is.

When you are as beautiful as I am not driving with the window open for everyone to bask at my beauty would indeed be a crime against humanity. Personally i believe that if I closed the window the police would fine me for selfishness. :tongue:

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

When you are as beautiful as I am not driving with the window open for everyone to bask at my beauty would indeed be a crime against humanity. Personally i believe that if I closed the window the police would fine me for selfishness. :tongue:

Well I am fortunate enough to have an angels......:guitar:....voice too to also to fend off any shit......:laugh:

Archived