Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

22 minutes ago, rickjza said:

No one is a perfect driver, we all make mistakes, the Thais are very mature with their driving attitude, always giving way and ready to stop for people blocking the road to cross. This system would never work back home. Sadly I see foreigners here ready to blow the horn when only slightly inconvenienced on the roads, yelling and screaming acting childlike.

I can't believe someone actually wrote this and is not employed as a stand up comedian ? 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Threads like this one can be pretty amusing, and perversely entertaining.  Eleven pages and counting, all about the perils / virtues of car window winding.   I'll say no more ?

But wait.....Where would this ol' dog be without an open window..

25 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can't believe someone actually wrote this and is not employed as a stand up comedian ? 

LOL...I know.  I thought it was a George Carlin schtick as I started to read it.  But hey, everybody is entitled to their phobias, though I must say that windows positioning in town traffic is a new one to me

Of course, you can't deny it's been an entertaining thread with lots of people "contributing" their own thoughts (some of which are just as fun to read).  There sure are some "over the top" threads here on TVF; this one is a keeper!

From George Carlin (One of my all-time favorite stand up comics!):  “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”   I wonder which one winds their window down and which keeps it up.

36 minutes ago, rickjza said:

the Thais are very mature with their driving attitude, always giving way and ready to stop for people blocking the road to cross. This system would never work back home. Sadly I see foreigners here ready to blow the horn when only slightly inconvenienced on the roads, yelling and screaming acting childlike.

Well that confirms it, definitely a troll....and a troll who has never driven or even followed the news in Thailand.

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

I didn’t post to offend, just make people aware.

Where did I say IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO DRIVE WITH YOUR WINDOW DOWN?

My email read FOREIGNERS DRIVE AROUND TOWN WITH THEIR DRIVER’S SIDE WINDOW DOWN AND THEIR ARM HANGING OUT OVER THE DOOR - This is not legal.

Sorry admin for the capitals but this audience need it to understand.

I wasn’t saying that you are breaking the law by having your window down, I was expressing you should drive with your window up (dark tint in Thailand) to avoid confrontation.

Yesterday I posted and just this morning had a look at the response, how many of you don’t understand English?

I didn’t expect this massive response, there were only a few who agreed and a few of you replying with nasty replies, calling me a troll (immaturity showing here, name calling), schoolboy stuff, again something I was expecting, Thailand attracts a lot of delinquents, but I felt if that’s what it takes to get the point across so be it.

No one is a perfect driver, we all make mistakes, the Thais are very mature with their driving attitude, always giving way and ready to stop for people blocking the road to cross. This system would never work back home. Sadly I see foreigners here ready to blow the horn when only slightly inconvenienced on the roads, yelling and screaming acting childlike. Because we are not perfect road users when we make a mistake on the roads if your window is up the Thais will normally drive on, the point I am making is if you’re hidden behind your window tint they assume you are Thai.

BTW, my email read “driving around TOWN”, I also enjoy driving with my window part the way down to relieve drowsiness (I made no mention of window being part down) and window all the way down in the country. Why do people not read the whole email? Reply without thought and understanding, it appears to be lack of education.

1.       Many years ago a friend of mine had an accident, not his fault. The police were called and he was booked, the other party were Thai.

2.       If you’re at an intersection and 4 vehicles are over the white line driving with your window down and you’re the only foreigner, I know who will get the ticket, therefore keep your window up, it keeps it a fair playing field.

I have a car and drive it regularly and have done so for years to get away from the pollution. The trucks and buses here have their exhaust pipes directed at window level, funny this height is directed at motorbike riders faces. The newer vehicles I have noticed are directing these exhaust pipes above the roof of the cab.

To those who understood what I was saying (minority), the people that read my email at length and did not act without thought, thanks for your replies. and a big thanks for the humour, it was a pleasant change.

I read the comments and did notice an attitude change once my post was posted, prior to posting people are scanning the ThaiVisa website for a negative reply to any post, maybe admin should look at this more closely and remove troublemakers.

I felt more than half the replies were from people that haven’t even driven a car in Thailand, just people wanting to place a negative reply.

This will be my last post on this subject as I have a life and cannot be bothered with people who can’t help themselves.

Please drive safely.

nut job or troll...still undecided..But missed the email....wonder what was in that?  The OP resembles a cartoon character from VIZ magazine in many respects. Great Stuff. One of the daftest threads I've ever read on TV.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, rickjza said:

I mentioned nothing about smoking.

I hope for your sake you wind the window up when the cigarette is finished,

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

Are you sure this country is OK for you?

You sound paranoid with your worrying.

18 minutes ago, The manic said:

nut job or troll...still undecided..But missed the email....wonder what was in that?  The OP resembles a cartoon character from VIZ magazine in many respects. Great Stuff. One of the daftest threads I've ever read on TV.

Hell, he has me so concerned now I'm thinking about setting the car on fire.              ?

23 hours ago, 55Jay said:

image.png.10d8924f3d454b019c8079a5c6235cbb.png

Dire warnings about the hazards of driving with the window down...... from a guy who rides a big bike motorcycle?  In Thailand?  Road Death Capital of the Universe?  You better loosen the helmet strap, mate, it's cutting off the circulation to your common sense carburetor.  ?

I wouldn't ride a motorbike here on the main roads and highways if you paid me.

Increased chance of death/serious injury.  Even with the best S&M leathers, whips and chains on, a minor accident can cripple you if you land wrong, or wind up through the windscreen of Somchai's 1972 Mitsu Space Cab pick up.

Never mind me and my arm making me a target to a notional, rare accident scammer or Five O.   YOU are a constant target for the plethora of road pirates in government uniforms.  All day every day. 

Last.... when it starts hammering down rain, because we're in Thailand you know, I just pull my arm inside and wind up the window. 

Remember that next time you're being pelted by rain at 100kph.  Look on the bright side - that's when you are less likely to be stopped and shaken down by the BiB.  Even they have enough sense to get out of the rain.

Hey, just have a good look, that is only his avatar and it does not mean that he rides a big bike or any other type of bike except maybe a child's tricycle and he was belted behind the ear by a motorist with his arm out the window for being a stupid idiot and riding out on the road.

2 hours ago, sead said:

Perhaps of the tainted windows that only Thais seems to see through

A Thai told me that he can only see through his heavily tinted windows if he wears polarised sunglasses, especially at night.

Just now, Russell17au said:

hey, dotpoom, you got the hots for "transam"

Don't we all. Sounds like a cool guy, always drives with his window down, arm hanging out, rapping to some Drum & Base on the outside of the car door.

24 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Hell, he has me so concerned now I'm thinking about setting the car on fire.              ?

Settle down, you dont have to take such drastic action.  After reading the op I rushed out to my pick-up, wound the windows right up and smashed the winder handles off with a big hammer....I do feel a hell of a lot better now.  Dont know how I am going to keep up the tan on my right arm now though....thats another worry.

It seems he hasn't heard the old one about Paddy:

Paddy we're sending you to the desert for some survival training for a couple of days, you're allowed one special item, what would you like. I'll take a car door says Paddy. Huh?!, what the hell for? When it gets hot I can wind the window down.....

On 8/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, rickjza said:

I mentioned nothing about smoking.

I hope for your sake you wind the window up when the cigarette is finished,

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

denegration of thais is your bag then.

Archived