Foreigners driving cars around town with their driver’s side window down

Cricky

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chummy, I have been here a long time and the last thing on my mind is the BiB pulling me because my window is down, plus it has never happened...[emoji5]

Really? Well why not try driving really fast, running a few red-lights, and smoking a spliff instead of a cigarette with the windows down and see what happens!

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Really? Well why not try driving really fast, running a few red-lights, and smoking a spliff instead of a cigarette with the windows down and see what happens!

So you've seen me driving round Pattaya then?

10 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

A possible reason for keeping your drivers window closed is to prevent key snatching if involved in arguments. It happened to a friend who was then in an awkward position.

Decent cars do not use a key anymore... it's called keyless and some have it since 10 years or maybe more...

8 hours ago, Mac98 said:

The only way I can think having a window down could be a problem is if someone next to an open window is wearing gold and you are stuck at one of those endless red lights. It might give ideas to a motorbike rider next to you. Oh, and no open windows during Songkran!

Nobody should be stupid enough to keep his windows open when stuck in traffic, right ? Or do they like to breath pollution ?

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, rickjza said:

I wouldn’t like to see you unnecessarily fined or have an unneeded accident because a Thai is looking for a quick buck.

fined for what?

I drive all around Pattaya with my windows open, I like the fresh air.

On the highway I drive with the driver side window down a inch or so.

Whats the big deal are you the window police or something?

LeoTex

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I drive round with the window open in case I meet any of my colleagues or friends going the other way and have to stop to shake hands.

Don't you mean to wai your companions, as most Farang do, Cowboy? ? 

Farang waiing Farang.

Quite the sight.

?

13 hours ago, mogandave said:

I'll have two pints of what your drinkin chap....:drunk:

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Don't you mean to wai your companions, as most Farang do, Cowboy? ? 

Farang waiing Farang.

Quite the sight.

?

After seeing the state of some falangs sitting in the bars it would be more hygienic to wai them than shake hands ? ? 

On 8/26/2018 at 6:44 AM, puchooay said:

I leave my windows open too. 

I don't like aircon as it makes me sleepy. 

I have never had any problems.

Maybe the aircon makes you sleepy because you are not opening up for new air to come in the car?

Just using the same air over and over?

I have seen the thais doing this all the time. Dangerous... In may car manual it is saying NOT to use this function for long. Only when passing a tunnel or a very dusty are like that.

Maybe thats why there are so many accidents?

On 8/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, faraday said:

Yea, I do it also, so that when I see a pretty lady, I can shout out:

"Alright love, fancy a bit of slap & tickle?"

Never fails.

Try it sometime.

Smooth talking Romeo, must be a big hit with the Katoey gang while driving around.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:00 AM, 55Jay said:

...Remember that next time you're being pelted by rain at 100kph. ...

I remember the last time I rode from BKK to Loei - 550 km in the back of a pickup truck.  It rained for the last hour or so. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three men are in the middle of a desert when their car breaks down. For their hike to town, they each decide to take one thing with them.

One man takes a jug of water. The second man takes a sandwich. The last man takes one of the car doors. 

The first man says to the last man: “I’m bringing the water because if I get thirsty, I can take a drink. And it makes sense to bring a sandwich in case we get hungry, but why bring a car door?”

The last man replies,  “If I get hot, I can just roll down the window.”

7 hours ago, Captor said:

Maybe the aircon makes you sleepy because you are not opening up for new air to come in the car?

Just using the same air over and over?

I have seen the thais doing this all the time. Dangerous... In may car manual it is saying NOT to use this function for long. Only when passing a tunnel or a very dusty are like that.

Maybe thats why there are so many accidents?

True but I have a small, relatively inexpensive car and if I don't have the aircon on recirc, it just can't keep the car cool enough. The only time that I ever used recirc in the UK was when it was really cold, to defrost the car, for a couple of minutes.

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

As I see it, there's only one risk and that is if your arm protrudes further than the wing mirror. Then you are likely to be involved in a minor scrape or worse.

Unless you have tiny wing mirrors or huge arms, very unlikely. My arm protrudes no further than the bracket holding the wing mirror on.

Quote "I don’t understand why foreigners drive around town with their driver’s side window down and their arm hanging out over the door."

I wonder if the Op thinks its every foreigner who does this... and perhaps he thinks no Thai's do this... Or perhaps he has just seen one or two foreigners do this and makes the assumption that all foreigners leave their arm hanging out over the door...

There is just something very strange about this whole Op: from even thinking about this, to raising the question on a public forum, to asking a generalized question about 'foreigners' as if bundling us all together in the 'arm hanging out the door collective'...

Archived