British Citizen Help

18 hours ago, Duffill01 said:

Can I ask does the six months you need to earn over a certain amount have to be from yourself or a combination of you and your parents?

I'm afraid that third party financial help is not allowed.

If meeting the financial requirement through earned income then for the initial visa that income must be the sponsor's, i.e. yours, alone.

For FLR and ILR the income can be the sponsor's, yours; the applicant's, your partner's; or a combination of the two.

If meeting the requirement through savings, in whole or in combination with income, then a gift from your parents can be used; provided it is a genuine gift, not a loan, and has been in your possession and control for at least 6 months prior to the application.

For full details see the financial requirement appendix.

Yes, spouse and unmarried partner settlement visa holders can work in the UK, as can FLR and ILR holders.

Fiance and proposed civil partners have to wait until after the marriage or civil partnership and they have been granted their first FLR before they can work.

Hi there, 

Just checking over the information and there's lots of it, thank you very much!

Could I just check that the next step after submitting your information is to send the documents to Sheffield as the office in Bangkok do not do it? Also that the Life in England test is to be completed whilst here? There seems so much to consider before she comes! 

It is correct that she has the equivalent of a BA degree in the UK so that should stop her taking the tests, however, she would like to take the CEFR one anyway as we are sure she will pass. When she is in England would she be able to get student finance and study here too? 

Finally, as this is a big move for us, we'd like to consider pensions and wonder if she'd be able to get a British one when she became a citizen? I've almost guaranteed her a job as a TA in my school which would provide a good opportunity to save some money.

Thank you all again, it's a really confusing time for us!

Luke and Bim

5 hours ago, Duffill01 said:

Could I just check that the next step after submitting your information is to send the documents to Sheffield as the office in Bangkok do not do it?

So it seems, yes.

Also that the Life in England test is to be completed whilst here?

The Life in the UK test can only be taken in the UK. But she wont need it until she applies for ILR, at least 5 years after first arriving in the UK to live.

It is correct that she has the equivalent of a BA degree in the UK so that should stop her taking the tests, however, she would like to take the CEFR one anyway as we are sure she will pass.

If she can get the required documents from UKNARIC then she does not need to take the CEFR tests; but if she wants to anyway, that's up to her. If she does so and wants to use the pass for her applications, she needs to take it from an approved provider: those in Thailand are on page 14 of the list.

When she is in England would she be able to get student finance and study here too? 

If she is in the UK with a settlement visa then she can study, or work, if she wants to.

The rules on student finance and fees can be complex, and do vary slightly depending on which part of the UK you live in, but basically she will not be eligible for any financial help from the government until she has ILR, and will pay the higher overseas student fees to her place of study until she has ILR.

Finally, as this is a big move for us, we'd like to consider pensions and wonder if she'd be able to get a British one when she became a citizen?

Anyone working in the UK, regardless of their nationality or immigration status, must have a national insurance number. 

Entitlement to a state pension is dependent upon one's national insurance contributions; not citizenship, residency or even immigration status.

To qualify for any state pension at all, one must have made, or been credited with, at least 10 years worth of contributions To get the full amount one must have made, or been credited with, at least 30 years worth.

Archived