Majority in poll don’t believe Thai govt can solve traffic problem

webfact

Far too many things in a place like Bangkok that need to be rectified before they can even think about lowering traffic. 

It will take a generation to rectify. People don't follow rules, roads are poorly designed, police manually change lights, very poor standard of driving and driving etiquette are just a few things that need solving over the next few decades. 

Anything deeply ingrained in society generally takes decades to eradicate , in Thailand what comes to mind , road manners and attitude is one , military influence is another and Coups is another, all three need a large amount of leveling out before Thailand will become a recognizable nation among its peers.,  

Totally agree with hotchilli it has happened in London and it could happen here if drivers want to drive inside the city limits they must pay for the privilege, Set up car parks just outside the city limits enforce taxi drivers to use meters and most people would get from A to B much faster and cheaper.

Set up cameras on all entrances to the city and anyone driving through them gets a large congestion charge ticket say 1,000 Bhat, if ticket not paid within one month double the fine or confiscate the vehicle, let the elite who drive around in there Mercs and Beemer’s pay a monthly fee of say 25,000 Bhat per month for the privilege.

Of course the people who live within the city would have free travel and there could also be a reduced price and limited access for people who need access for their business.

I think that this method would be a bit harsh but I bet that it would work.

So, 'Netizens'(I so hate that term) are up in arms that the government has the temerity to raise fines and punishments for various driving misdemeanors ? Good, how many idiots are out on Thai roads with no licence, no training, no skill ?? 

This is a little extreme I know, but would you let someone drive a train, fly a plane sail a cruise liner or supertanker, just cos they they had (a) watched someone do it, (b) watched a video on YouTube or (c) played a video game involving any of the aforementioned ?? No I didn't think so, so why should some moron be allowed on a public road in charge of something that is quite capable of causing absolute carnage & mayhem ??

These people are selfish <deleted> that need to be eradicated from the gene pool at the earliest opportunity, preferably without taking anyone else with them.

Don't even get me started on drunk drivers...........

Of course they can but would anyone of us really change anything if it could hurt our income stream, my relatively big circle of acquaintance's, my "influential" business and political sky wealthy group of friends and we even could risk to have to be out of work, and pass a driving licence test our self. But can for sure, there are many countries in this world with a population around 70 million and 40-60 of them don't die in the traffic every day.?

I don't recall reading that there was any declaration or intimation that increasing penalties would solve traffic problems.

No one should ever complain about being stuck in a traffic jam. By being there, they are part of the problem!

It’s basic economics, demand outstrips supply. If the roads were privately owned prices could adjust to reflect availability, but as it is the state is essentially offering road use at a near free price 24/7. When demand for something is high and prices low, shortages occur. This is not a problem that can be legislated away.

to ask the people to police themselves is totally idiotic, never happen in thailand and never happen in any other country, thats why countries have police to enforce the law. unfortunately thai police do not enforce the law so the people do what they want. upping the fines is not needed, enforcement is. i personally like the fact i can ride the bike to where i want leave helmet on wing mirror and come back 3/4 hours later and find it still there

DriVer license does one thing and one thing only.  It cuts down on the number of people that have no <deleted> clue what they are doing.  I seem to recall a girl just before I got here underages that killed *(?) BECAUSE SHE WAS DRIVING ON THE TOLLWAY AND HAD NO IDEA HOW TO DRIVE

As to the amount of traffic.  Take a look at NYC, LA, Toronto, or any other major city They all have a great transportation system but still, there are too many cars n the road.

BKK will have massive traffic issues as long as it is around.  Is there a way to cut it down that would be effective NO  the only thing that might help is the BTS extensions but they are not a guarantee.

17 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

At the front of every traffic jam you will find

a selfish Thai driver

No actually at the front of every traffic jam you will find a red light manually operated from a police box at the intersection. No need for computers, 1913 technology is sufficient. I'm sure they will have the situation under control any day now. ? 

Traffic problem? Too many cars. Not enough streets or roadways. Not enough good public transit. Idiot police not enforcing traffic laws. PM worried about nit-picky minor things, not this. Good luck fixing the problem.

Archived