Movie copycat thieves pull an Udon ATM away with a sling, but get no money

webfact

Movie copycat thieves pull an Udon ATM away with a sling, but get no money

10PM.jpg

Picture: MCOT

MCOT reported that thieves in Udon Thani targeted a Krung Thai bank ATM outside Tesco Lotus in Ban Dung in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The news media said they managed to drag the ATM some two meters from its foundation using a wire sling attacked to the back of a pick-up.

They said that this was like in a movie though they did not say which one.

The thieves had used a spray paint canister to black out the CCTV of both the machine and a camera nearby but other CCTV in the vicinity showed they used a Mitsubishi Triton pick-up in the course of the crime at around 2.14 am.

They used cutting equipment on the fallen ATM but were possibly disturbed as they left empty handed.

Source: MCOT

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-27

Too bad they didn't do their thing on the Kasikorn Bank ATM (on right), it's an old machine with unreadable screen and needs replacing badly. The type where one has to put his/her hand into the bowls of it to get their money. (Always worry the bloody door/slide will slam shut on my hand one day!)

In Europe ATMs have a ink cartridge in the money section that makes the bank notes unusable.

I heard in the attached YT video something that they used gas to open the ATM. Clever guys. They have seen it probably in the same movie as the sling method haha.

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Too bad they didn't do their thing on the Kasikorn Bank ATM (on right), it's an old machine with unreadable screen and needs replacing badly. The type where one has to put his/her hand into the bowls of it to get their money. (Always worry the bloody door/slide will slam shut on my hand one day!)

I thought I was the only one in the world that worried about that.  :cheesy::cheesy:

21 hours ago, CLW said:

In Europe ATMs have a ink cartridge in the money section that makes the bank notes unusable.

I heard in the attached YT video something that they used gas to open the ATM. Clever guys. They have seen it probably in the same movie as the sling method haha.

This method was used by the Hole in the wall gang, originating in  New Zealand.

There was a NZ movie made which featured it also as they became famous for not getting caught, they used tow trucks and chained the machine, ripped it out and drove off with the machine hanging from the back to a warehouse or garage where they cut the goods out.

Archived