Poll -- How do you think Pattaya rates as a food destination?

Jingthing

Pattaya -- food mecca or food cesspool?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tourist traps is probably the key word here

If a restaurant don't need to rely on repeat customs to survive, why bother with quality 

Hopefully in the age of tripadvisor and such, this will become increasingly hard to get by

On the other hand, we have the 'old faithfuls' list of a few restaurants locals and long stayer flock to time and again, and once these start to die out, it looks increasingly difficult for new crops of personally run restaurants to rise up to the same standard again. 

It's sad that the best we can look forward to these days are corporate run restaurants in malls 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tourist traps is probably the key word here

If a restaurant don't need to rely on repeat customs to survive, why bother with quality 
Hopefully in the age of tripadvisor and such, this will become increasingly hard to get by

On the other hand, we have the 'old faithfuls' list of a few restaurants locals and long stayer flock to time and again, and once these start to die out, it looks increasingly difficult for new crops of personally run restaurants to rise up to the same standard again. 

It's sad that the best we can look forward to these days are corporate run restaurants in malls 

I don't think the scene is nearly as grim as you paint it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I hear the fish out there is not too smelly !!! :crazy:...but kindly allow some very strong doubt,  that the patrons along Walking Street or Beach Rd, really care !!!

That's like saying the San Francisco food scene is limited to Fisherman's Wharf. 

Gave it a middle rating, which means I'd score it a couple below Bangkok. As for Bangkok, it's up there in Asia, but can never really compare to the culinary heights of Europe etc. Part of the consideration regarding Pattaya is that there's a lot of choice, and prices can be excellent value... in Thailand and Asia generally, you can definitely eat well if you research where to go. 

Interesting this mention the already existing food draw in this context --

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/pattaya-attracting-major-government-and-international-brand-investment

Pattaya attracting major government and international brand investment

The Thai government sees Pattaya’s future as a world-class tourist destination that will evolve beyond its raunchy past.

The report indicates the Korean, German and Chinese guests are still travelling to Pattaya and looking for new activities beyond Walking Street, beaches and international food.

I'm getting the feeling that some Bangkok people are particularly bothered by the fact that Pattaya might have many similar attractions as Bangkok but with being right on the sea and without the over the top traffic congestion and pollution.

Chinatown Bangkok alone has many more food choices, is much more fun, and much better food then anyplace in Pattaya.

The rest of Bangkok is a food mecca if you know where to go Pattaya is not even close.

The headline "food destination" for Pattaya really is a Zero as I know of on one who comes here for the food.

Chinatown Bangkok alone has many more food choices, is much more fun, and much better food then anyplace in Pattaya.

The rest of Bangkok is a food mecca if you know where to go Pattaya is not even close.

The headline "food destination" for Pattaya really is a Zero as I know of on one who comes here for the food.

I agree Bangkok is a world class food destination and Pattaya is not. But based on my personal eating around town in recent years I truly think it has reached a level of very good / above average. Thus my 7. I also realize probably most visitors don't scratch the surface and would probably rate it lower based on their personal experience. It takes more effort here to find the better food than a world class food destination.

Again to me Pattaya really is up and coming. I would bet serious money that it will be getting even better.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry, but I can and I do assume there is going to be plenty of exceptionally good food there based on the names of the specific restaurants that have already been announced as opening there. I'm not suggesting of course that one mall will propel Pattaya to top rated global food destination. But there is very little doubt that the new mall will be a food draw. I'm less sure about the food court. Will it be as good as Bangkok? I kind of doubt that it will but we'll see.

I guess it just shows what kind of person you are making assumptions.

Pattaya would get a 10 if the Mexican food did not suck so much... 

There is a lot missing. Such as Ethiopian and even getting a decent bowl of Pho.

But really diversity and quality of the diverse options is only one factor in what makes a great food destination.

There are a number of great food destinations that have pretty poor diversity such as Lima and Buenos Aires.

Just doing one type of food exceptionally well often makes for a great food destination.

Pattaya's strengths are growing more along the lines of improving diversity mixed with the baseline of being in Thailand the Thai food particularly Thai seafood.

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The member that suggested that Pattaya is only about cheap English breakfasts is either bashing modern day Pattaya for sport, or simply doesn't have a clue. I defend my 7 rating but I do get it, some people are just here to bash Pattaya out of kneejerk ignorance. 

For me, full montys are the only thing in Central Pattaya that approaches Western food standards (maybe Patrick's and Beefeater could be considered exceptions but both over priced). Even then it's only a handful of paces that do anything approaching a decent English breakfast. Much the same for Thai food, I can't think of a single restaurant in Central Pattaya that does really good, authentic Thai food. Mainly catering for farang tourists or poor bargirls.

Had lunch the other day in Surf 'n Turf, Wongamat, most people go for the Western influenced food. I had eaten there before, so based on experience, tried the Thai offerings. Excellent, 9/10, a rare rating from me but ridiculously expensive for Thai food.

Food rating Central Pattaya - Western food 4, Thai food 5.

For me, full montys are the only thing in Central Pattaya that approaches Western food standards (maybe Patrick's and Beefeater could be considered exceptions but both over priced). Even then it's only a handful of paces that do anything approaching a decent English breakfast. Much the same for Thai food, I can't think of a single restaurant in Central Pattaya that does really good, authentic Thai food. Mainly catering for farang tourists or poor bargirls.

Had lunch the other day in Surf 'n Turf, Wongamat, most people go for the Western influenced food. I had eaten there before, so based on experience, tried the Thai offerings. Excellent, 9/10, a rare rating from me but ridiculously expensive for Thai food.

Food rating Central Pattaya - Western food 4, Thai food 5.

OK.

Well I'm sure your criteria makes sense to you.

My criteria for rating are radically different.

Which does make these ratings very subjective of course.

I will add though that the point is to generally rate the larger metro area not just central Pattaya, walking street.

There is a US city I know which I won't mention where the diversity in the central more touristic area isn't so good but in a nearby suburb mostly for locals is exceptional. I would include the suburbs in rating a place like that with the caveat that most tourists would never know.

Unfortunately, there are more and ore chain restaurants , everywhere. It’s hard to find proper individually owned restaurants, especially with a clean kitchen and staff. The lack of hygiene is often obvious and puts me right off. Also, many restaurants fail because they lack qualified staff/ cooks, it’s a here today , gone tomorrow attitude that can sink a good restaurant. Jomtien has a few “ good” restaurants, they are quite expensive too, considering , ok for now and again. One Indian restaurant there is very good, but the prices have rocketed, so there’s  lot less customers. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm getting the feeling that some Bangkok people are particularly bothered by the fact that Pattaya might have many similar attractions as Bangkok but with being right on the sea and without the over the top traffic congestion and pollution.

If only LOL, if Pattaya grows any more in terms of visitor numbers without addressing the creaking infrastructure the issue might not be finding a decent restaurant,  it will be getting to it that will be the challenge. Terminal 21 should help clog things up even more especially at weekends and holidays when people might be more inclined to eat out.

I still find myself chuckling at the specials board I once saw outside one central Pattaya restaurant - " Catch of the Day - Icelandic Cod ". 

1 minute ago, kinyara said:

If only LOL, if Pattaya grows any more in terms of visitor numbers without addressing the creaking infrastructure the issue might not be finding a decent restaurant,  it will be getting to it that will be the challenge. Terminal 21 should help clog things up even more especially at weekends and holidays when people might be more inclined to eat out.

I still find myself chuckling at the specials board I once saw outside one central Pattaya restaurant - " Catch of the Day - Icelandic Cod ". 

Well I get what you're saying of course.

I find the idea of a T21 here without a skytrain station directly feeding into it kind of odd. Sort of a castrated T21. 

My wife is a bit of a foodie. We live in Bangkok but often come to Chonburi/Pattaya. We have eaten seafood all over Thailand but , in her opinion, and I would not doubt her judgement, the Eastern seaboard ie from Chonburi down has , by a long way , the best seafood in Thailand. 

My wife is a bit of a foodie. We live in Bangkok but often come to Chonburi/Pattaya. We have eaten seafood all over Thailand but , in her opinion, and I would not doubt her judgement, the Eastern seaboard ie from Chonburi down has , by a long way , the best seafood in Thailand. 
That's interesting.

I'm aware many Bangkok Thai come to this area to eat Thai seafood but I had thought that Hua Hin was better regarded for that.

Many of the Chinese tourists here are very enthusiastic about Thai seafood here as well.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's interesting.

I'm aware many Bangkok Thai come to this area to eat Thai seafood but I had thought that Hua Hin was better regarded for that.

Many of the Chinese tourists here are very enthusiastic about Thai seafood here as well.

not much good introducing what Thai Tastes favourites are unless they are tasting something from their own home region...

A Bangkokie and a Pattayan both come from similar Central region, so would tolerate the thought of eating each others foods.

But... try and get a Southerner to taste some Northern, or more so an EastNorth, and they turn up their nose, without even being within a eyeshot of the dish! Saying they don't like it, even without tasting any...

Anyways, your OP question is aimed at falangs... so this is not a problem!

Relatively new Thai restaurant on southbound side of Suk 500 yards past NaJomtien Honda dealer, right after the SCG store. Praneat Seafood. "Proud to be Thai." No Western on the menu. AC area, nice bar (skimpy on wine, however). Doing pretty good business with Thai families.  Unlike Thai seafood joints, nice matching china. However, personable service, good atmosphere, reasonable prices, good selection.  Outdoor area to watch the Sukhumvit Grand Prix, breath tobacco smoke and  diesel exhaust for those who like it au natural.

Seafood can be good anywhere, the eastern seaboard do get ships that come off the cambodian waters first.

Andaman coast seafood like lobster/crayfish do get trucked in to Pattaya every day, being in HuaHin would only means fresher seafood by the matter of hours only. 

location like Ban Amphur do have less of a price premium to location compared to Hua Hin 

but hardly any Thais go to HuaHin for the seafood, if they want seafood, Samutsomewhere just south of Bangkok along the Rama2 road is where the ship docks and there's plenty of seafood restaurants are

But how much culinary skil can be put on Thai styled seafood with the dippings anyway?

If you were to judge a destination if it's worth travelling to just for the food, what's Pattaya known for?  to Thais, it used to be that you come to Pattaya for Mae Sri Ruean, Dang Dum and Ban Amphur or Nang Nual for seafood, hardly any western food on the Bangkokian's radar when it comes to Pattaya, maybe Wandee's in Naklua.

The higher end 'fine dining' place like Bruno's, Pascals or Mata Hari do get Bangkok Thai clientele but they hardly make a trip to Pattaya just to dine in these restaurants, it's more like it's nice to have while they're here.

As for the 'value' western foods that's cheaper than Bangkok, it seems to be only for locals, nobody travel to Pattaya to have canned baked beans and black pudding

The existence Korean, Russian and some Japanese restaurants should be ideal for adventurous Thais, but they don't seem to care for and for international tourist that Pattaya get, most stick to their own cuisine.

It'd need a lot of concerted work to sell Pattaya as a foodie destination, but even the international tourist that comes to Pattaya don't seem adventurous enough to venture beyond their own comfort zone

Archived