Poll -- How do you think Pattaya rates as a food destination?

Jingthing

Pattaya -- food mecca or food cesspool?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you think Pattaya rates as a food destination?

Please include the expected fabulousness of the soon to open Terminal 21 in your rating (which we know already will include a number of great places from Bangkok).

There are some great world food cities that many people travel to just to eat. For example, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Bangkok, New Orleans, San Francisco, Lima, Buenos Aires, and San Sebastian (just to scratch the surface). 

Nobody in their right mind would classify Pattaya among the top global food cities.

But it's clearly improved a lot over the years. 

So even though it's true most people don't travel to (or live in) Pattaya mainly for the food, on a scale of 1 to 10, how do you think Pattaya rates as a food destination?

Call me crazy, but I think Pattaya is now at a Level 7, up from a Level 3 or 4 when I moved here over 10 years ago. That's a pretty dramatic improvement and I don't see any reason why it can't get even better from that. Of course such ratings are totally subjective. Personally I give a lot of weight to VARIETY and accessibility of many national cuisines and much less weight to the high end foodie worship/Michelin star type places. Pattaya is obviously much stronger in the former than the latter. 

On things like a distinctive local cuisine (such as in New Orleans) Pattaya is rather weak as well. Yes there is Thai food and Thai seafood, but a distinctive Pattaya style not so much, and fantastic innovative developments like Cajun/Vietnamese from Houston Texas not here either. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody comes here primarily for the food. The greater range of options reflects the more numerous points of origin of visitors. The more adventurous visitors try other types of food. Is that related to income or educational background or how extensively a visitor has travelled?

9 minutes ago, champers said:

Nobody comes here primarily for the food. The greater range of options reflects the more numerous points of origin of visitors. The more adventurous visitors try other types of food. Is that related to income or educational background or how extensively a visitor has travelled?

In my view, it doesn't really matter that the variety of food comes from the demographic. So what? You could say the same thing about New York. Adventurous eaters there are going to go for the variety just like here but if often takes a core demographic for many of those restaurants to even exist. 

As far as nobody coming for the food, I don't think there are many, but there are some.

I remember even years ago being aware of Bangkok western expats coming here for the more affordable western food here compared to Bangkok.

Bangkok Thais flock to the beach view Thai seafood restaurants in a similar way that they're drawn to Hua Hin. 

As the vibe here changes which is kind of a contradiction, still lots of low budget types but increasing big spenders as well, I can imagine a time in the future when there will be even more people drawn here more primarily as a food destination.

I think that's a potential actually possible goal for the tourism promoters here. For example Pattaya is not going to be a major arts destination in the imaginable future but a food destination, that could happen. 

I used to rate it higher, up until 2-3 years ago,

For western cuisine: the western expat resident chefs/restaurateur scene was at its peak then, price were low compared to Bangkok quality were good for what passed for 'fine dining' back then. Now most of the established names had closed down or gotten stale over decades they had been open, newer fine dining restaurants are too corporate or too hyped. Since then Bangkok has really up their scene (and price) making the Pattaya scene seem amateurish and irrelevant.

For other ethnic foods: Chinese and Indians are targeting holidaying countrymen that will never have repeat business, which leaves quality and longevity to be desired, Korean and Japanese are far in between

I think that Bangkok wins every time over Pattaya when it comes to food quality in Thailand. Prices may be a little lower here, but the quality usually is also.

Pattaya is the Benidorm of Thailand, and the food on offer reflects that. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but haute cuisine it ain't and probably never will be. It certainly is the place to get a good value "full English" or Sunday Roast etc. though.

And when it comes to ethnic food (perhaps I should say non-Brit ethnic food), Bangkok is the winner also.

I'd put a different spin on it, if you are into home cooking the ability to get anything you want in the range of general and niche food outlets is excellent and certainly part of the reason it's a comfortable place to live. No complaints on the restaurant scene, even though I don't do it much I know if I want a change there is an endless supply of good restaurants across the budget range.

I think it's a bit unfair to try and compare Pattaya to Bangkok really.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I'd put a different spin on it, if you are into home cooking the ability to get anything you want in the range of general and niche food outlets is excellent and certainly part of the reason it's a comfortable place to live. No complaints on the restaurant scene, even though I don't do it much I know if I want a change there is an endless supply of good restaurants across the budget range.

I think it's a bit unfair to try and compare Pattaya to Bangkok really.

To be clear I wasn't suggesting that Pattaya is approaching Bangkok or any other top rated global food destination's level. Another poster presented that as the model. I am not. I am saying in my view Pattaya's food scene has improved dramatically over the last decade and I see no reason why it can't improve from that. Also, I'm sure some people are already visiting here largely for the food scene and I think that will probably increase over time. Now if food was the only reason for travelling Pattaya wouldn't be a first choice probably ever. This concept might be alien for some but many people do travel primarily for food scenes. It helps if there are other pleasantries in the locale and Pattaya for many people does have that built in -- in the seaside locale, the international demographic buzz, the stereotypical tourism options (boat trips, water parks, etc.) and yes of course the nightlife. 

1 hour ago, upu2 said:

How can you include an area, Century 21, that has yet to open? The food may be very good or very bad you cant estimate that

I can suggest it but you don't have to accept it. I think it's well understood to anyone that's been to Terminal 21 in Bangkok and the announcements of the high culinary level of the places already known to be opening soon at Terminal 21 Pattaya that the place is going to be a major magnet for food lovers. 

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think that Bangkok wins every time over Pattaya when it comes to food quality in Thailand. Prices may be a little lower here, but the quality usually is also.

Pattaya is the Benidorm of Thailand, and the food on offer reflects that. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but haute cuisine it ain't and probably never will be. It certainly is the place to get a good value "full English" or Sunday Roast etc. though.

And when it comes to ethnic food (perhaps I should say non-Brit ethnic food), Bangkok is the winner also.

Bangkok is the heart and soul of Thailand.

I'd expect no less.

To add I think anyone voting very low, like 1, 2, or 3 is just playing games. You want a 1? Try being stuck in Russellville Arkansas for a week and then you'll know a  real 1. 

I understand and am not at all surprised that the majority of votes are 5, middle level. I think the reason for that perception is that at this point you have to often actively seek out the culinary gems here. I of course do, and they are definitely here already. 

The seafood market is best in Pattaya IMO. Not the tourist rio off places on second road but the actual seafood market in north Pattaya.  Also expat food good all over.  BKK food good also but expat food in BKK seems more expensive. Thai food is always cheap and always good both places. 

48 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

If you rate Pattaya 7 out of 10 for food you must have eaten some slop in you life.

Actually I've lived in some great world food cities (and visited many more) which Pattaya is not and likely never will be but that doesn't mean it's food slopsville either.

Or maybe you don't live in Pattaya and/or haven't bothered find the places that have wonderful food.

The member that suggested that Pattaya is only about cheap English breakfasts is either bashing modern day Pattaya for sport, or simply doesn't have a clue. I defend my 7 rating but I do get it, some people are just here to bash Pattaya out of kneejerk ignorance. 

My view is any rating between 4 and 8 has some basis in rationality. Saying it's a 1 or a 10 is ridiculous. 

I think Pattaya is right up there if you want to eat, food of almost all nationalities available (I haven't seen Inuit yet  ?). 

If you're looking for a bit of art on a plate that leaves you hungry afterwards, it's not so good.

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Bangkok is the heart and soul of Thailand.

I'd expect no less.

The fields and paddies are the heart and soul of Thailand.

Bangkok is full of people who wish they were back there (and a bit wealthier).

The question here is not which place is the top food destination in Thailand.

It is about the rating of Pattaya as a food destination from a global perspective.

For example most people including me would rate Bangkok and Montreal higher than Pattaya but I also think reasonable people would rate many places lower than Pattaya as well.

I see Pattaya as up and coming as a food destination.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I can suggest it but you don't have to accept it. I think it's well understood to anyone that's been to Terminal 21 in Bangkok and the announcements of the high culinary level of the places already known to be opening soon at Terminal 21 Pattaya that the place is going to be a major magnet for food lovers. 

Not necessarily going to be good food though and you can not assume that just because of its name

Not necessarily going to be good food though and you can not assume that just because of its name
Sorry, but I can and I do assume there is going to be plenty of exceptionally good food there based on the names of the specific restaurants that have already been announced as opening there. I'm not suggesting of course that one mall will propel Pattaya to top rated global food destination. But there is very little doubt that the new mall will be a food draw. I'm less sure about the food court. Will it be as good as Bangkok? I kind of doubt that it will but we'll see.

I think Pattaya is right up there if you want to eat, food of almost all nationalities available (I haven't seen Inuit yet  [emoji2]). 

If you're looking for a bit of art on a plate that leaves you hungry afterwards, it's not so good.

Yes there is a shortage of such frou frou places here and that's fine with me.

Everyone's perception of the scene is going to be different.

I'm heavily focused on diversity and quality of what Americans call ethnic food which there would include Thai.

So the boom in Indian, Chinese, Korean, and others improves the rating for me.

There are ups and downs. I thought the opening of the Venezuelan arepas place in Jomtien was a very positive sign but then it closed in a few months. Mostly about idiosyncratic business reasons but still a hit to increased diversity.

Some people don't even notice the positive signs. For example there is a well regarded egg restaurant from India that also has a few US locations. One in Thailand. Not in Bangkok. In Pattaya.

These clues add up to a trend.

First: Pattaya is not a great food destination. Second: Whose idea was it to even suggest that Pattaya is a great food destination?

As far as food goes, Pattaya is at best a 2 on a  scale of one to 10  with 10 being the best. Pattaya is not a food destination at all.

12 minutes ago, bangkoken said:

First: Pattaya is not a great food destination. Second: Whose idea was it to even suggest that Pattaya is a great food destination?

As far as food goes, Pattaya is at best a 2 on a  scale of one to 10  with 10 being the best. Pattaya is not a food destination at all.

It was my idea.

Well, sort of.

I rate it a 7 of 10 which isn't exactly "great" but in my view very good. 

Your vote has been recorded.

Next ... 

I voted 7 too on the strenght of the good restaurants that we have, but reconsidering... the good ones are only a few compared to the numbers of unnoteworthy ones, should we also consider the porportions of the good to the so sos.

A bad restaurant in a city that has decent restaurant scene at reasonable price shouldn't survive, the fact that we have so many forgettable restaurant in Pattaya means the good ones are an anomaly rather than the norm

Even for Thai and street foods there are hardly any household names that is a 'must' for the neighborhood

57 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I voted 7 too on the strenght of the good restaurants that we have, but reconsidering... the good ones are only a few compared to the numbers of unnoteworthy ones, should we also consider the porportions of the good to the so sos.

A bad restaurant in a city that has decent restaurant scene at reasonable price shouldn't survive, the fact that we have so many forgettable restaurant in Pattaya means the good ones are an anomaly rather than the norm

Even for Thai and street foods there are hardly any household names that is a 'must' for the neighborhood

That's an interesting observation.

There are some cities where it's almost hard to get a bad meal outside obvious tourist traps. 

We definitely can't say that about Pattaya. 

Archived