Poll -- How do you think Pattaya rates as a food destination?

Jingthing

Pattaya -- food mecca or food cesspool?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's interesting.

I'm aware many Bangkok Thai come to this area to eat Thai seafood but I had thought that Hua Hin was better regarded for that.

Many of the Chinese tourists here are very enthusiastic about Thai seafood here as well.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not the case, (according to my wife). we are in Hua Hin quite often and there are one or two good places for sure, but you dont get the same consistent quality  that you find on the other side of the Gulf.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seafood? Better choose the place well. There are a couple good ones. Watch all these big places packing up the defrosted smelly shrimps, lobster and fish from their show cases at closing timeand throw them back into the freezer til the next day. Don't believe me.... Go watch.... Then do a bit of research on poisons, plastic and chemicals in much seafood. Salmon is a great example to start with... MS>

On the whole, Pattaya is not to bad. It's not up there with the great food destinations in the world but there is a lot of worse places and cities in Thailand and the world to eat in than Pattaya. At least you have a fairly decent and wide choice. 

I'd give it a 4 overall. But on the other hand there are places that I haven't tried.

I've been to some of the 'fine dining' restaurants and honestly, I can and do create better food at home. 

Some restaurants think they can produce good western food, but they cannot and fall down when it comes to service too. A 'fruity' restaurant comes to mind here. Long past it's sell by date.

Yes you can buy imported ingredients in Pattaya, but a lot of it is the cheapest of the cheap, but sold at a high price.

The basic ingredients used by most restaurants are also the cheapest of the cheap.

Not necessarily their fault. They need to be able to sell their product at a price amenable to their customers.

So there are a few good ones, but most are simply mediocre.

So in general I only go out to eat the kind of things that I don't create for myself.

Archived