Florida video game contest shooting reignites gun rights debate

webfact

1 hour ago, starky said:

Yep and how many can you fatally wound a kill with a semi auto pistol compared to a kitchen knife in less than a minute? You reckon the same amount?

I dont know but a few terrorists have killed quite a few in one effort.

Well, I am pretty liberal, pretty much anti-NRA (I think they could/should change their focus).   I don't like guns and I wish there were a lot fewer of them.   That said, I do not support the repeal of the 2nd amendment.   We need reasonable regulation of ownership of guns, but not outlawing them.

Buying, owning and possessing a gun needs to be a lot stricter.  The police need a lot more leeway in being able to remove firearms from people.   Mental illness is never going to cover all the people that need to be denied the right to have a gun.    Many types of mental illness do not result in a danger to others.   

So, IMO, it should be like a Driver's License.   A reasonable attempt to screen ownership, maybe a test for safety and operation and a restriction on the type of gun which can be owned, just like your DL restricts you to what type of vehicle you can operate.   

1. Nuts, crazies, terrs will always find a way to kill. If ya cant buy it legally, you will just get it somewhere else or use something else. Lorries? Knives for you Londoners?

2. The right of law abiding citizens in the USA to keep and bear Arms for self defense is enshrined in the constitution of the US. Deal with it. 

3.  As long as it is lawful for me to do so I will own a gun. Thats because there are folks out there who would kill me due to my race, creed, colour or religion or for simple economic purposes.

10 hours ago, Credo said:

Well, I am pretty liberal, pretty much anti-NRA (I think they could/should change their focus).   I don't like guns and I wish there were a lot fewer of them.   That said, I do not support the repeal of the 2nd amendment.   We need reasonable regulation of ownership of guns, but not outlawing them.

Buying, owning and possessing a gun needs to be a lot stricter.  The police need a lot more leeway in being able to remove firearms from people.   Mental illness is never going to cover all the people that need to be denied the right to have a gun.    Many types of mental illness do not result in a danger to others.   

So, IMO, it should be like a Driver's License.   A reasonable attempt to screen ownership, maybe a test for safety and operation and a restriction on the type of gun which can be owned, just like your DL restricts you to what type of vehicle you can operate.  

What you're saying is reasonable and most Americans would agree.  The thing is, the gun lobby, i.e., the NRA, does not.  End of story.

Nevermind homicides, gun deaths can manifest itself in other ways.  I just read an article about the state with the highest suicide rate, Montana.  Why is that you ask?

[The challenges Montana faces are many. It’s sparsely populated — the fourth-largest state by area, it’s 44th in population, with just over a million people — and it has less than a quarter of the mental-health care providers required to serve its residents, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration. A strong gun culture and high rate of heavy alcohol consumption fuel the problem, as does lack of daylight in the winter and high altitude, which have both been linked to depression.]

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-had-highest-suicide-rate-country-then-budget-cuts-hit-n904246

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

What you're saying is reasonable and most Americans would agree.  The thing is, the gun lobby, i.e., the NRA, does not.  End of story.

Nevermind homicides, gun deaths can manifest itself in other ways.  I just read an article about the state with the highest suicide rate, Montana.  Why is that you ask?

[The challenges Montana faces are many. It’s sparsely populated — the fourth-largest state by area, it’s 44th in population, with just over a million people — and it has less than a quarter of the mental-health care providers required to serve its residents, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration. A strong gun culture and high rate of heavy alcohol consumption fuel the problem, as does lack of daylight in the winter and high altitude, which have both been linked to depression.]

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-had-highest-suicide-rate-country-then-budget-cuts-hit-n904246

No law is going to prevent suicide.

Now Im from Alaska, which has an  gun suicide and homicide rate and extremely lax firearms laws. However, because the number of gun crimes is relatively small, you can use Alaskas "gun problem" as a microcosm for gun laws in particular.  But before I get into that, Just for sport, I would like someone to tell me how US firearms laws are insufficient on the State or Federal level. In other words, what more can be done?

On 8/28/2018 at 10:32 AM, lust said:

If you think about it. Nearly 400,000,000 Americans. With billions of guns, I’m actually surprised there are not MORE shootings.

Because there aren't 400000000 mentally ill people.

Archived