Thailand to launch eVisa in the UK, France, China, and UAE this year

Thailand Tourist Visa from the United Kingdom

The Thailand tourist visa permits British travelers to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 60 days. The Thailand tourist eVisa which will be transmitted electronically will not necessarily be valid for the same period of time, as the validity for the Thai eVisa has not yet been announced. Our website aims to maintain all users up-to-date regarding all Thai visa and travel affairs and endeavours to publish news or updates as quickly as possible.

British travelers visiting Thailand can also request a visa upon arrival. The difference between applying for a Thai tourist visa beforehand and requesting a Thai visa upon arrival is the travel period permitted. Requesting a visa upon arrival will give British travelers 15 days less than a visa obtained prior to traveling. (????)

??

I hope it's all clear now.

15 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It's not rubbish. UJ is spot on. I wouldn't rely on anything written on the London website or told to you by their staff either. They are often wrong.

There is a difference between an online application and e-Visa. They would not be calling it an e-Visa unless it was an electronic visa. It appears that tourist visa will at some point be available as e-Visas. I expect it will be sometime, if ever, before they will issue non-immigrant visas electronically; although submitting online applications is clearly what they are aiming for.

As usual these threads become nothing more than speculation. It's best to wait and see what the reality is. 

So, your not believing anything that is up in hard copy in the visa section of the Thai Embassy in London and in Kuala Lumpur, that I 100% know of? That quite frankly is unbelievable!
I think on that note, I will leave you too it because there is simply no point to comment any further.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Thailand have been planning e-Visas for a few years. Whatever is happening now is the first step towards e-Visas for tourism. It may not be a full blown automated system to begin with, but that is definitely coming.

What your getting, without doubt, is EXACTLY the notice I have posted. The EXACT same system as trialled and been a success in Singapore. That's it. 

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:
10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Thailand have been planning e-Visas for a few years. Whatever is happening now is the first step towards e-Visas for tourism. It may not be a full blown automated system to begin with, but that is definitely coming.

What your getting, without doubt, is EXACTLY the notice I have posted. The EXACT same system as trialled and been a success in Singapore. That's it. 

Calm down!! No need to shout.

Try reading what others write. I know what is happening in Singapore, and also know actual e-Visas are the aim; whatever is happening now, is the next step in making that happen.

Every time something new gets announced people speculate, including consular staff, so it's best to wait and see what actually happens.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Read this on the website mentioned in the article here. https://www.thailandvisa.net/online-visa-application/ 

How to get an eVisa for Thailand?

It will be quick and straightforward to obtain a Thailand online visa. Eligible citizens can apply for and receive the eVisa in three simple steps.

• Complete the online Thai eVisa Application form.
  • Pay the e-Visa fee using a credit or debit card.
  • Receive the Thailand travel visa in your inbox.

Applicants must have a valid passport from one of the eligible countries in order to successfully complete the application.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read this on the website mentioned in the article here. https://www.thailandvisa.net/online-visa-application/ 

How to get an eVisa for Thailand?

It will be quick and straightforward to obtain a Thailand online visa. Eligible citizens can apply for and receive the eVisa in three simple steps.

• Complete the online Thai eVisa Application form.
  • Pay the e-Visa fee using a credit or debit card.
  • Receive the Thailand travel visa in your inbox.

Applicants must have a valid passport from one of the eligible countries in order to successfully complete the application.

Who is required to apply for a Thailand eVisa?

Citizens from eligible countries who wish to travel to Thailand mainly for tourism purposes will be able to apply for a Thailand eVisa by completing an online application. This will allow e-Visa holders to gain entry without needing to queue for a visa on arrival.

Eligible citizens need to complete the online application form and meet the basic e-Visa Thailand requirements. The application process is quick and can be completed online in just a few minutes.

So visitors from Britain had to queue up for visa on arrival?

The American section says we don't know how long the visa is valid for, probably refererring at visa validity. Other sections (Australian) suggest a 60 day permission of stay. Then others 30 days. 

It's all a mess. And this is from a website that states clearly is not affiliated in any way shape or form with the Thai Governent.

Bear in mind there's also another one thailandvisas.net. This one thailandvisa.net

Not entirely sure about the legitimacy of any actually at present time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Excellent.

What could possibly go wrong!

How hard can it be.

Several countries have outsourced the visa process, India, Vietnam, and apparently Thailand is trying it now.  The article said more than 30 days, so I am assuming it will handle the routine 60 day SETV?

So basically sometime in the future there might be an e visa that can be issued on line, but at the moment no-one knows if it will be be 30/60 or whatever days and no-one knows what it will cost or if it will be accepted at airports only or all entry points or if it will be x times a year or if you could get them back to back for a max' of six or will it need re-entry permits or won't it.

Think I'll wait a bit now and see how it goes.

Nearly forgot, will it or won't it allow digital nomads to work legally.  ???

Over to anyone!!!!!!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So basically sometime in the future there might be an e visa that can be issued on line, but at the moment no-one knows if it will be be 30/60 or whatever days and no-one knows what it will cost or if it will be accepted at airports only or all entry points or if it will be x times a year or if you could get them back to back for a max' of six or will it need re-entry permits or won't it.

Think I'll wait a bit now and see how it goes.

Nearly forgot, will it or won't it allow digital nomads to work legally.  ???

Over to anyone!!!!!!

I think it is much more vague and uncertain than you make it seem. ?

Let me add one more possibility into the mix. Might changes to the rules on visa exempt entries be introduced at the same time? You could imagine a scenario where visa exempt entries (by land or air) were restricted to two per year, and an evisa or visa on arrival be required thereafter. Some of the sources cited in this thread suggest something of this sort might be under consideration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Let me add one more possibility into the mix. Might changes to the rules on visa exempt entries be introduced at the same time? You could imagine a scenario where visa exempt entries (by land or air) were restricted to two per year, and an evisa or visa on arrival be required thereafter. Some of the sources cited in this thread suggest something of this sort might be under consideration.

Yeah, last time when we all got excited about METV that was meant to "promote tourism", we found out that they have taken out the doubles, costs 5 times more than a single, and one can get it in their home country with proof of job and 6 month statements.

So you could be right, I would not hold my breath, I also smell a reduction of "free things".

Let's hope I am wrong.

Edited by lkv

Hum...?...arriving to the immigration booth with the devoted officier behind his glass window who just loves farangs....and that to without any sticker or document on the passport and plainly relying on the Thai computer network ?!.....well if one is a daredevil why not....but I would definately not be at ease without any official document in my hand.....

.......as a matter of fact, the immigration officier may not even be aware of the new scheme...:welcomeani:

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Hum...?...arriving to the immigration booth with the devoted officier behind his glass window who just loves farangs....and that to without any sticker or document on the passport and plainly relying on the Thai computer network ?!.....well if one is a daredevil why not....but I would definately not be at ease without any official document in my hand.....

.......as a matter of fact, the immigration officier may not even be aware of the new scheme...:welcomeani:

If implemented, there will be a document received via email to print, take and present to the IO, likely similar to say the Myanmar e-visa.

They do actually mention that on that website, as dodgy as it is in its current form.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I feel that the days of VE are numbered, not for all but for visitors arriving, let's say long haul, from USA, EU etc while neighbouring countries, Asean, will continue using it.

Just kind of thinking outloud.

27 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The company's premises don't look too promising.

Amazing Thailand Sociedad Limitada.png

However, they are next to a Thai takeaway restaurant, which at least is some Thai connection.

Here's a link if you want to explore this charming part of Ibiza:  https://goo.gl/maps/KKnUJZ8CgFt

Years ago while on holiday in UK the weather turned and I decided to have a week in Cyprus. TGF with me at the time needed a visa so I drove to the home of Reo Stakis in Glasgow, he was the Hon Con at the time. We sat in the kitchen and got the visa stamp in her passport.

She ( TGF ) couldn't/wouldn't believe it and was nervous as hell until we got through Imm' on landing.

How things have changed.

Edited by overherebc

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I feel that the days of VE are numbered, not for all but for visitors arriving, let's say long haul, from USA, EU etc while neighbouring countries, Asean, will continue using it.

I don't agree. E-visas is mostly being set up for those from countries that do not qualify for a visa exempt entry which outnumbers those that do qualify. Or those that do qualify for visa exempt who want to stay longer than 30 days.

Thailand will certainly not do away with visa exempt entries. They would certainly lose a lot to tourists that do qualify for them if the they did.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't agree. E-visas is mostly being set up for those from countries that do not qualify for a visa exempt entry which outnumbers those that do qualify. Or those that do qualify for visa exempt who want to stay longer than 30 days.

Thailand will certainly not do away with visa exempt entries. They would certainly lose a lot to tourists that do qualify for them if the they did.

Of the 4 trial 'countries' mentioned only UAE doesn't get VE,  they get 15 day VOA to my knowledge anyway.

VE  plus  30 days extension for 1900 baht for the rest.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Of the 4 trial 'countries' mentioned only UAE doesn't get VE,  they get 15 day VOA to my knowledge anyway.

VE  plus  30 days extension for 1900 baht for the rest.

The UAE gets a visa exempt entry. China gets a 15 day visa on arrival for a fee of 2000 baht.

Lists of each type is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

If the fee for the e-visa is equal to or even double the 1000 baht for a tourist visa I think many people would chose it over doing a visa exempt entry and then a 30 day extension.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, PoorSucker said:

If this is true, good news for visa runners. 

No more two visa exempt stamps per year, get an e-visa go to the border an get 60 days. 

It sounds to good to be true. 

They cant even get online 90 day reporting/address reporting right here, so no chance of this working yet a while. 

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The UAE gets a visa exempt entry. China gets a 15 day visa on arrival for a fee of 2000 baht.

Lists of each type is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

If the fee for the e-visa is equal to or even double the 1000 baht for a tourist visa I think many people would chose it over doing a visa exempt entry and then a 30 day extension.

If/when it gets going and if it was 60 days and if applied across the board the need for VE entry would disappear.

Then again, 'if' is a very small word with a hell of a big meaning. ?

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If/when it gets going and if it was 60 days and if applied across the board the need for VE entry would disappear.

Why?

Many people might decide not to make a short trip if they had to pay for a e-visa or even wait for it to be issued.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Many people might decide not to make a short trip if they had to pay for a e-visa or even wait for it to be issued.

I just see in the future, for many reasons, the days of visa free travelling slowly disappearing.

May sound a bit 'heavy' but security will be one of them or it will be the excuse.

Taking the human factor out of arrival clearance becoming more the norm' 'fallible' and relying on e-gate systems reading bar codes on e-visas etc. The printed e-visa just being the start of the change.

Very likely not in my remaining years though.

22 hours ago, elviajero said:

I expect it will be sometime, if ever, before they will issue non-immigrant visas electronically

And even longer before e-extensions of stay and e-re-entry permits ever see the light of day, in all probability.

More likely it will bounce foreigners at their source country away, that have any kind of B2B history in Thailand from using touristas route, with inter-linked databases over their trigger point flagging their name to time in LoS whatever it will be...and for those that qualify the cost per month will be marginally more than it is now. Every update has been towards ridiculous amounts...Elite/new work visa salary requirements, dismantling of ways to stay BTB vs before August or so 2014 when it was pretty gung-ho.

Bank on it.

Will make the retiress happy that hate under-50's BTB/tourist visa-runners anyway...less competition for seats and chicks.

Remember when everyone was optimistic about the METV until the requirements came out (have a job waiting for you from your employer once you sat on your ass for 6-9-months in LoS, yeah right) and it was only avail. at your own country...not in Laos etc.then...price up, requirements up and up for every new visa....why would this one go against the grain....?

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

Good step hope by next year it’s introduced in more countries 

surprised why Thailand was so late to do this . It is so easy process to have an Evisa rather that going embassies then lot of paper work. I got my Malaysian evisa  in email in 13 hours .

they can make it 3 months multiple entry Evisa  . Each entry 30 days similar to Malaysia. It will reduce visa runs and also many overstays . The more easier legal options you give the less illegal options people will use .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Travelanimal said:

surprised why Thailand was so late to do this . It is so easy process to have an Evisa rather that going embassies then lot of paper work. I got my Malaysian evisa  in email in 13 hours .

they can make it 3 months multiple entry Evisa  . Each entry 30 days similar to Malaysia. It will reduce visa runs and also many overstays . The more easier legal options you give the less illegal options people will use .

And every possibility it will be once a year and then wait for a year to get a second one.

VE entries are flagged at 6, don't think e-visas will be any different.

Edited by overherebc

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

And every possibility it will be once a year and then wait for a year to get a second one.

Atleast twice should be allowed per year and it should be clearly mentioned  so a person doesn’t remain in doubt shall I apply or not ? Lack of proper communication also results in troubles for applicants 

4 hours ago, Travelanimal said:

Don't know about you, but all EU citizens get 90 days for free visa exempt in Malaysia, and visa runs are not an issue.

Not that I would like to move there in particular, just saying.

Edited by lkv