Samui Latest Party Hotspots

Hi All,

It's been a while since I partied in Samui. What are the current hot-spots? Ark-Bar of course, but where else. There are several "guides" online, but these are often out of date, or quite bias. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Also, keen for day-time party spots. Bit of music, chill out and fun, and a good vibe.

Aiming for places comparable to Ark Bar and the old Green Mango from yester-year (both on the beach, and on the soi's). Not looking for "girlie" bars - I don't mind them, in fact a few games of pool would be fun in the early evening, but I'll be with my GF and I am not looking to pick up.

I'll be there 19th - 23rd September.

Many thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Went to Soi Green Mango last Friday night. The only really busy bar was Henry Africa's. Solo Bar was dead, and although the outr part of Green Mango was busy, is was pretty empty inside at the back.

There is another new club ( can't recall the name) sort of bhind what as Sound Club. Don't know if it is busy.

Also the Beach Club on Chaweng Noi, which is mainly Thai. Cha Cha Moon along from the Ark ar only seems to get busy when they have special nights.

HTH

• Like 1

Ark Bar as usual, seem to be even more hot now than before. Wednesday and Friday are Beach Party days with free buffet in the afternoon.

Also on the beach is Cha Cha Moon Beach (earlier named Big Bamboo) close to Ark, they begin to open in the daytime, and is open on dedicated nights with guest DJs.

In Chaweng Noi, down south, is The Beach Bar, which is quite frequented by Thais; open both day and night. The former moon-party and Sound Club DJ's, like DJ A, plays there; and they also have moon-parties, next time Black Moon Party at 11th September. Not sure of they arrange half-moons now when high-season ends.

Sound Club has been temporary closed for a couple of years.

Opposite Green Mango Club – the back sound stage is busy, sometimes very busy, from about 1.30 am and until closing time that use to be 3.30 am (if no military or important police from Bangkok visiting the island) – and next to Sweet Soul, is the newer disco Hush that has been extended and seem to be quite frequented by foreign visitors (it's almost opposite Henry's out of Africa). 

Hard Rock Café use to have a band, and so do the two cafés at the corners to Soi Green Mango, and Soi Sound Club.

Haven't been at Reggae Pub for ages, so don't know if anything goes on there – heard there's no band anymore, but my usual "spies" have also not been there for a while.

The beach night life, and many others, close at 2 am, whilst some of the venues in Soi Green Mango is (normally) open til 3 am and 3.30 am. Plenty of bars with pool tables, including Club Green Mango.

?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the updates. You've saved me lots of time that would be wasted trekking around seeking out my old haunts. 

I'll probably stay put on Chaweng. But just in case I do venture further, are there are worth-while spots in Lamai or other places?

Piss tests duly noted ?.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, corkman said:

But just in case I do venture further, are there are worth-while spots in Lamai or other places?

Lamai is dead as a Dodo to my knowledge – I used to be a frequent guest before when Fuzion and Super Sub were alive and great fun – now just the Saturday night Thai boxing, and some places with live bands. A restaurant opposite the boxing square (think it's an Australien beef restaurant) with a cover band, and the usual Irish pub "Shamrock", probably still the Amazing Ovada Show Band. If you're looking for girlie bars there seem to still be some breathing in the sanok area next to the soi from public beach entrance to the Ring Road...:wub:

There might be some hi-so parties at Niki Beach and similar places, and there's of course always a Full Moon Party option, next time should be 24th September, so seem like you just missed that.

:intheclub:

I saw in @phetphet's post that a new club behind Sound Club was mentioned. It lived for a couple of month and is closed again, even it's a brand new, quite huge construction, partly owned by the Sound Club owner. Some of former Sound Club staff worked there. Probably some license problems, since it only lasted for two month or less. All signs quickly disappeared, and the name is already long forgotten (or is it Alzheimer's?).

:mfr_closed1:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gaff said:

What about online girls ?

No idea, prefer them offline, especially when together with me. However, numerous girls, both tourists and locals, seem very online in the discos – I sometimes wonder why they go there just to look at their smartphones – think you got a great chance you meet online girls if you're heading out in the nightlife...?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, gaff said:

What about online girls ? Is Tinder crowded at Samui now ?

Any other good website to score pro and non-pro ?

I've been to Samui many times over the years (back as far as 2001). Maybe I have become more picky, but the quantity and quality of "singles" there started quite low, and has continued to go downhill (whether you mean straight up P4P, free lancers, "good time" party girls, or off-duty girls with "proper" jobs). Local expats used to refer to the place as "leper island", although I think that's a bit harsh, its not that bad. But if you are looking to score, then I'd suggest Phuket has more on offer, and of course the infamous Pattaya strip.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess that if you tried Tinder or Thai-Friendly in Samui, the response would be "nice to meet you. my rate is XXXX. wanna hook up". 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, khunPer said:

Lamai is dead as a Dodo to my knowledge – I used to be a frequent guest before when Fuzion and Super Sub were alive and great fun – now just the Saturday night Thai boxing, and some places with live bands. A restaurant opposite the boxing square (think it's an Australien beef restaurant) with a cover band, and the usual Irish pub "Shamrock", probably still the Amazing Ovada Show Band. If you're looking for girlie bars there seem to still be some breathing in the sanok area next to the soi from public beach entrance to the Ring Road...:wub:

There might be some hi-so parties at Niki Beach and similar places, and there's of course always a Full Moon Party option, next time should be 24th September, so seem like you just missed that.

:intheclub:

I saw in @phetphet's post that a new club behind Sound Club was mentioned. It lived for a couple of month and is closed again, even it's a brand new, quite huge construction, partly owned by the Sound Club owner. Some of former Sound Club staff worked there. Probably some license problems, since it only lasted for two month or less. All signs quickly disappeared, and the name is already long forgotten (or is it Alzheimer's?).

:mfr_closed1:

Thanks for this. I'm going with my GF, so no looking for girlie action - although it's a far assumption that where there are girls, there will be an atmosphere and a bit of fun ?

Yes, you have confirmed my suspicion about Lamai. I was there last year, for one night. Quite drunk, and didn't get past the Bondi Bar Aussie place, near Macca's. That was ok, but nothing special. The big arena of girlie bars across the road got me thinking there might be a half-decent club or two near by, that they would all roll onto afterwards - but it seems not.

Pity really. Samui used to be quite the little party Island. Green Mango back in the day, Sound a bit further along, Sweet Soul used to have a good vibe going, and then there was "The Club" down past Solo bar - it's quite "sanitized" these days really. Wonder what was the driver for that..... big name franchises like "Hard Rock" probably dragged it down - a magnet for snow-flake new age <deleted>-packers I suppose. But at least Ark Bar stayed alive - although it has come a LONG way from its humble beginnings as a shanty shack and plastic deck chairs. 555

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, khunPer said:

No idea, prefer them offline, especially when together with me. However, numerous girls, both tourists and locals, seem very online in the discos – I sometimes wonder why they go there just to look at their smartphones – think you got a great chance you meet online girls if you're heading out in the nightlife...?

What! You want a millennial to "disconnect" from the WWW? How will their 5000 "friends" know that they "drinking alcoholic beverages" at XYZ Bar? How will they pretend to super-stars, while they "supersize" their mundane and average life without suggestive and highly manipulated selfies? Sacrilege! Blasphemy!    555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, corkman said:

Thanks for this. I'm going with my GF, so no looking for girlie action - although it's a far assumption that where there are girls, there will be an atmosphere and a bit of fun ?

Yes, you have confirmed my suspicion about Lamai. I was there last year, for one night. Quite drunk, and didn't get past the Bondi Bar Aussie place, near Macca's. That was ok, but nothing special. The big arena of girlie bars across the road got me thinking there might be a half-decent club or two near by, that they would all roll onto afterwards - but it seems not.

Pity really. Samui used to be quite the little party Island. Green Mango back in the day, Sound a bit further along, Sweet Soul used to have a good vibe going, and then there was "The Club" down past Solo bar - it's quite "sanitized" these days really. Wonder what was the driver for that..... big name franchises like "Hard Rock" probably dragged it down - a magnet for snow-flake new age <deleted>-packers I suppose. But at least Ark Bar stayed alive - although it has come a LONG way from its humble beginnings as a shanty shack and plastic deck chairs. 555

Progress, things are changing over time, and so has Lamai's previous after party places that I mentioned.

Samui is still a party island. The bar past "Bar Solo" – which 15 years ago was "The Club" – was same owner (or family) as Bar Solo on the corner today, and it was called "Bar Solo". Later it changed to a boxing stadium, however also used for Black Moon and Half Moon parties, after the outdoor Lake View Arena was given up. Now it has all moved to The Beach Bar, same-same but different.

Sweet Soul today is mainly for Thais, the foreigners heads to next door "Hush". A quite size-able audience meet at Ark Bar from early evenings – both foreigners and Thais – and some head up in Soi Green Mango later.

?

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Progress, things are changing over time, and so has Lamai's previous after party places that I mentioned.

Samui is still a party island. The bar past "Bar Solo" – which 15 years ago was "The Club" – was same owner (or family) as Bar Solo on the corner today, and it was called "Bar Solo". Later it changed to a boxing stadium, however also used for Black Moon and Half Moon parties, after the outdoor Lake View Arena was given up. Now it has all moved to The Beach Bar, same-same but different.

Sweet Soul today is mainly for Thais, the foreigners heads to next door "Hush". A quite size-able audience meet at Ark Bar from early evenings – both foreigners and Thais – and some head up in Soi Green Mango later.

?

I'll be staying at Ark Bar, so that's convenient. Thanks! ?

So, where is the best bet to head for "after parties" these days? Presumably the main venues close about 1-2am. Whats the best direction to head afterwards?

"The Beach Bar" - is that literally on the beach, or elsewhere?

Thanks again.

Edited by corkman

31 minutes ago, corkman said:

So, where is the best bet to head for "after parties" these days? Presumably the main venues close about 1-2am. Whats the best direction to head afterwards?

Thanks again.

Ark Bar Beach Resort is an excellent choice, remember to enjoy Wednesday and/or Friday beach parties.

Beach bars close at 2am – to my knowledge that includes The Beach Bar on the beach in southern Chaweng Noi – the previous after-party life on Samui vanished after the military cleaned the nation. Depending of the mood of some big Bangkok-police for a Samui visit, or presence of military, the night-life now stay open till between 3am and 3.30am.

Folks from beach parties looking for a life after 2am normally heads up in Soi Green Mango for the discos there – mainly Hush, Sweet Soul and Green Mango Club – the trendy pubs are also closed at that time. I can however not rule out that there might be some, for me unknown, secret places some folk meets at later. I've heard about (been invited to) private villas with huge beach front Jacuzzi, presumably a question of mingling with the right folks...?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, corkman said:

Thanks again.

I was in Chaweng a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been going there for 16 years or so. Here are my observations on the nightlife now:

Green Mango club – hit and miss.  Some nights busy inside and out, but some nights only busy outside.

Sweet Soul – ok for a relaxed ‘people watching’ drink, but mostly empty. The Thais fill it up a bit on Saturday nights.

Henry Africas – Table service, and pool tables. Huge place (replaced some nice little bars such as Blessing Bar, which is a shame). Always busy.

Hush – as other have said, always busy and lively, almost exclusively foreigners.

Absolute Ice Bar (corner of Soi Green Mango) – great live music every night

Reggae Pub – I gave it a last chance.  I went there from 11:30pm until 12:30am. I was literally the only customer in there, and the ‘band’ could have been plucked from the street they were that bad. Very sad for me, as I used to love it there.

Daytime – you’re best off hanging around Ark Bar for music and good atmosphere.

After hours (from 3am)

Go down Soi Solo and you’ll find Hendrix Bar still open and lively till very late.

Also in Soi Solo carry on to the end of the road and you’ll find Stadium Bar, which is now the late night venue. I’ve left there at 4:30am and it’s still been going.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gaff said:

And do the cops often visit the disco / bars ?

Yes often, but civil dress (however sometime in white t-shirt) when off duty for a night out;

and No, on duty only if something rarely happens, or someone important decide to close early that night.

However, you might meet the polite force of cops in the streets, they are there for your security (presuming you have nothing to hide)...?

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, CG1 Blue said:

After hours (from 3am)

Go down Soi Solo and you’ll find Hendrix Bar still open and lively till very late.

Also in Soi Solo carry on to the end of the road and you’ll find Stadium Bar, which is now the late night venue. I’ve left there at 4:30am and it’s still been going.

There's a bar on the soi next to Hooters which is open right through the morning. Not sure how they get special dispensation... maybe they are well connected. 

18 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

There's a bar on the soi next to Hooters which is open right through the morning. Not sure how they get special dispensation... maybe they are well connected. 

I didn't know that.  Unless you mean the one at the top that used to be a go-go many years ago (before Dream Girls opened)?

And yes, it's all about connections!

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I didn't know that.  Unless you mean the one at the top that used to be a go-go many years ago (before Dream Girls opened)?

And yes, it's all about connections!

Definately a lady bar of some description, but after hours when the girls have gone home it becomes pretty much the only bar to be open in that area. 

16 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Definately a lady bar of some description, but after hours when the girls have gone home it becomes pretty much the only bar to be open in that area. 

I believe it was called GB Lounge back in the day. And yes, in more recent years it has become a late opening venue. I forgot about that one!

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I believe it was called GB Lounge back in the day. And yes, in more recent years it has become a late opening venue. I forgot about that one!

GB Lounge, that however closed years ago, that geographical place changed owner, and has been more dead than a Dodo for long time.

I don't remember that name, and I'm relatively new here (three years). Believe it is called after  the owner who is a lady, but may be mistaken. 

It really is a shame that Reggae Bar is dead most of the time. I am a fan of Caribbean tunes, especially after a few beers, but there seems to be nowhere good which is themed like that on Samui.

Edited by RickG16

On 9/10/2018 at 5:32 PM, CG1 Blue said:

After hours (from 3am)

Many thanks for your update.

Just checked last night. Hendrix is as it always has been, as far back my aged brain box can recall, I've only been guest inside when they had live music.

Stadium Bar is a small corner of the original Solo Bar, deep down Soi Solo. Solo Bar came after The Club. They closed Solo Bar when the Stadium was build. By that time Bar Solo at the corner by the Beach Road was already busy from early hours. There were not enough business for both an expanded Sound Club with 2 sound stages, and an expanded Solo Bar with also 2 sound stages, so for a while they were only open every second night, shifting between the two venues. For some years they used the Stadium to Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party, those were before were held at Lake View Arena. Later the moon-parties moved back to the beach, first to Cha Cha Moon Beach Club, and they are now held at The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi.

My favorite DJ A from Sound club and the moon-parties, was playing last in Stadium Bar, with Bato on live-percussion. It's same owner, or family, as the "temporary" closed Sound Club. It has been mentioned in a past thread here that Chaweng's night life is mainly owned by two families – excluding Reggae Pub, to my knowledge, but that's on the peninsula in the lake – the bars and venues in Soi Green Mango and Soi Sound should all be rented from those two families.

The late night "after-party" life has for the last decade, or more, been a question of the mood of the local police chief, or if someone important from Bangkok would like to visit the island. Officially closing time is Midnight – alcohol can legally be sold from 5pm to Midnight – but major turist destinations are allowed to be open till 1am or 2am by approval from the local chief of police. Important police officers rotate, and we have more than once experienced that when a new "Mr. Big" arrives, the night-life would close early for a while. However, one time we needed to demonstrate in front of the police station – wow, my only demonstration, and then as an alien in Thailand – and with a powerful PA locals were explaining why early closing time would damage tourism in Chaweng, and a lot of business. It actually helped, Mr. Big came out of the police station and entered the stage, and in front of TV-cameras said that he now understood better, and both tourists and locals got their beloved late night-life back...?

wDSC02132_Demonstration_Big-Police-chief(w800).jpg.601b151a3af3d0170f703c03617261c5.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Many thanks for your update.

Just checked last night. Hendrix is as it always has been, as far back my aged brain box can recall, I've only been guest inside when they had live music.

Stadium Bar is a small corner of the original Solo Bar, deep down Soi Solo. Solo Bar came after The Club. They closed Solo Bar when the Stadium was build. By that time Bar Solo at the corner by the Beach Road was already busy from early hours. There were not enough business for both an expanded Sound Club with 2 sound stages, and an expanded Solo Bar with also 2 sound stages, so for a while they were only open every second night, shifting between the two venues. For some years they used the Stadium to Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party, those were before were held at Lake View Arena. Later the moon-parties moved back to the beach, first to Cha Cha Moon Beach Club, and they are now held at The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi.

My favorite DJ A from Sound club and the moon-parties, was playing last in Stadium Bar, with Bato on live-percussion. It's same owner, or family, as the "temporary" closed Sound Club. It has been mentioned in a past thread here that Chaweng's night life is mainly owned by two families – excluding Reggae Pub, to my knowledge, but that's on the peninsula in the lake – the bars and venues in Soi Green Mango and Soi Sound should all be rented from those two families.

The late night "after-party" life has for the last decade, or more, been a question of the mood of the local police chief, or if someone important from Bangkok would like to visit the island. Officially closing time is Midnight – alcohol can legally be sold from 5pm to Midnight – but major turist destinations are allowed to be open till 1am or 2am by approval from the local chief of police. Important police officers rotate, and we have more than once experienced that when a new "Mr. Big" arrives, the night-life would close early for a while. However, one time we needed to demonstrate in front of the police station – wow, my only demonstration, and then as an alien in Thailand – and with a powerful PA locals were explaining why early closing time would damage tourism in Chaweng, and a lot of business. It actually helped, Mr. Big came out of the police station and entered the stage, and in front of TV-cameras said that he now understood better, and both tourists and locals got their beloved late night-life back...?

wDSC02132_Demonstration_Big-Police-chief(w800).jpg.601b151a3af3d0170f703c03617261c5.jpg

I did think the late opening was much better this time (in August) than it had been for a long time. So was this a result of you and the other protestors?  If so, I thank you! :thumbsup:

For late drinks I used to like Solo Bar (or The Club?), the one that was where the stadium is now. I liked the open air feel of the place, and it was fun watching drunk holiday makers try to climb those big rope ladder things to win 1000bht.

I was less keen on Sound Club.  In recent years before it closed I found the music a bit too hardcore (thud thud) and tuneless, and that made the whole place have a less happy vibe. In my humble opinion...

Sound Club 10 years ago was a better atmosphere, with the pool party and a more fun crowd. Or maybe this is just a sign of me getting older!

All this said, I would be happy if Sound Club would open again.  Better than that Stadium Bar, which as you say is squeezed into a corner.

I had heard Solo Bar eventually closed due to too many violent 'incidents'. I was lucky to never see one of those.

P.S. I also know of DJ A from many years ago  - good to hear he's still in employment!