Employing Filipina Maid

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But there were possibly hundreds of others that are attending legitimate schools that are still here without a problem.

All those reports in the news were mostly those that got there visas and/or extensions under the table and were not attending school at all. 

but clearly the plan here would be an illegal one with being on a ED visa while working?  Also not sure if it is in the OP interest that the maid will be away at least 8 hours per week studying should he go down the road of this option.

As a side note, even those studying Thai get impacted by this crackdown. After catching a few people working with ED visa Samui immigration has now started to change things somewhat randomly ("we give you one month stamp and then you have to come back while we look into the school / your attendance record"). In addition, it is not only immigration which seems to constantly change rules wrt ED visa but the Ministry of Education changes requirements and paperwork all the times as well.  A year ago you could get a one year ED visa from your home embassy without much problem (aside from a lot of paperwork and fees), now they talk about 3months after which you will have to do a language test before you get another 3 months.  Certainly a process which is very much in a transition period and as such adds a lot of uncertainty to one's plans.

19 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

but clearly the plan here would be an illegal one with being on a ED visa while working?  Also not sure if it is in the OP interest that the maid will be away at least 8 hours per week studying should he go down the road of this option.

As a side note, even those studying Thai get impacted by this crackdown. After catching a few people working with ED visa Samui immigration has now started to change things somewhat randomly ("we give you one month stamp and then you have to come back while we look into the school / your attendance record"). In addition, it is not only immigration which seems to constantly change rules wrt ED visa but the Ministry of Education changes requirements and paperwork all the times as well.  A year ago you could get a one year ED visa from your home embassy without much problem (aside from a lot of paperwork and fees), now they talk about 3months after which you will have to do a language test before you get another 3 months.  Certainly a process which is very much in a transition period and as such adds a lot of uncertainty to one's plans.

I believe the OP is female & I'm assuming has a partner/family

I do know that a Single guy in Singapore cannot have a Live in Maid, though have heard you can if you have pets.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I believe the OP is female & I'm assuming has a partner/family

I do know that a Single guy in Singapore cannot have a Live in Maid, though have heard you can if you have pets.

Huuh?   I never suggested anything along these lines....  not sure what you read into it.

btw - you are wrong as well about a single male not being able to have a maid in Singapore.

2 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Huuh?   I never suggested anything along these lines....  not sure what you read into it.

btw - you are wrong as well about a single male not being able to have a maid in Singapore.

Sorry a combination of this sentence "Also not sure if it is in the OP interest that the maid will be away at least 8 hours per week studying should he go down the road of this option." & the fact that I looked into this as an option to take my Filipina GF to Thailand (obviously she wouldn't actually be a maid but I would have "employed" her as such).

I also looked into "employing" her as a maid in Singapore when her work permit had finished & she was struggling to find another, was told by my mate's wife (both Filipinos) who ran a Maid Agency & by our HR Department that a single guy in Singapore was not allowed to have a live-in maid - mate's wife did say that I might be able to get around this by keeping a pet.

Maybe I was told a complete load of blox, but like I said, that's what I was told by 2 different sets of people.

quick check of MOM brings up https://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/work-permit-for-fdw/can-any-single-person-employ-an-fdw... 

Can any single person employ an FDW?

If you are a single person, we will assess your eligibility and need to employ a foreign domestic worker (FDW).

To apply, you:

• Must be 21 years old and above.
  • Cannot be an undischarged bankrupt when making the application.
  • Must be earning a steady source of income, because employing a FDW comes with various costs, including the FDW’s salary, levy, medical insurance and food.

... I'm guessing keeping a pet dog would help you to prove a "Need" to employ a FDW, can't say I could hand-on-heart say I would need one otherwise (though I do use a part-time maid who comes in 1 day every other weekend).

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Maybe I was told a complete load of blox, but like I said, that's what I was told by 2 different sets of people.

Ok let's not get this into a discussion about Singapore maids but you were indeed told bolx,  I have never heard of any rejections of single males who applied for a maid work permit. I know more than a handful single guys without any pet who employ a helper in Singapore and none had any issues about it. 

32 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Ok let's not get this into a discussion about Singapore maids but you were indeed told bolx,  I have never heard of any rejections of single males who applied for a maid work permit. I know more than a handful single guys without any pet who employ a helper in Singapore and none had any issues about it. 

Agreed & it was 6+ years ago so even if it was true then, rules/regulations changes all of the time.

Back to the OP, I think there's little hope of her being able to take her maid over to Thailand, I'm really curious as to whether this would be a deal breaker & she would give up any plans to move to Thailand to go to the Philippines insted - Big sacrifice (especially if you have kids), so the maid must really be a part of the family (I know the "Good" families treat them as such).

Good Luck to the OP, moving to a new country is never an easy step/decision to make (even when you're a single bloke with no ties/commitments)

• Like 1

It’s not that difficult. I did exactly as you said a few years back and took the Filipino maid from Hong Kong along with the wife and kids. The wife and kids and I had proper visas but the maid was in an out as a tourist for much of the first year, but once we passed the trial phase and figured we might want to stay a few years, we just went to any number of accountant and lawyer services who can help you to create a company to sponsor her. For us it was about 45k THB up front and like 30k per year maintenance and fees and taxes. Those are all costs to secure visa and maintain the company above and beyond shed actual salary. The maid has a B visa and a work permit for some strangely manufactured job title like “coordination manager” but we did say she would be a nanny and watching kids and we had to take pictures of kids books and beds and toys. We still pay her as we did in Hong Kong, from our HK bank to her HK bank, and the local Thai accountant firm takes care of all the taxes and other Thai paperwork. PM me if you want a referral. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, Suradit69 said:

Unfortunately certain nationalities tend to attract greater scrutiny in Thailand, especially when it's suspected that they are working here without a work permit.

So I wonder what has happened since joining ASEAN? I was of the opinion that there would be free movement of individuals from member states and freedom to work in member states.

5 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

So I wonder what has happened since joining ASEAN? I was of the opinion that there would be free movement of individuals from member states and freedom to work in member states.

Thailand joined ASEAN in the late 1960's.

You seem to be referring to the AEC (Asean Economic Community). There is no freedom of movement or work clause in it. Only certain professions were given some right to work in it.

Thanks for all your comments. It looks like I may have another job in Singapore so that will buy us a couple of years, by which time she may be able to go home.  

A lot of the comments were helpful. We also found a couple of agencies willing to process a work permit so if we do need to go ahead we now have a much better idea of the options, thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Coming in to this rather late, and only vaguely related. I will be interviewing a Filipina to work part time as a maid and I asked whether she had a WP. She said "no". Obviously I think this will be a problem, but more than that, I presume I might have liability, even if there is no contract, and she is part time. Advice welcome.