Barging in front of the handicapped - is this the famous "Thainess" we hear about?

webfact

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What does it matter whether a person says handicapped or disabled?

I am handicapped, as my legs dont work, do i care if somebody says handicapped, no i dont.

Yes indeed-'tis a problem only for the non-disabled.

I had a long meeting today with my carers where we all used the terms interchangeably and without confusion.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

Ask the Thai Police how  many have been fined here and how  much of that have they actually  received and get back to us.

No thanks. YOU’VE made the call. So YOU ask the Police.
Looking forward to seeing what YOU can back to us with...

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, but there does seem to be a lack of 'spatial awareness' here regarding people beware of what's around them.

Not looking around, or thinking ahead by even ten seconds, I see that as one of the factors towards the high number of traffic accidents here.

i totally agree,i am the first to criticize ,but generally I think it is unawareness ,next time something negative happens to you (as in a songtaw seating or refusal to move legs from the path ,even parking scooters)..either ask the person'' why'' or'' make a comment'', and they usually are genuinely shocked they did it...I think its just lack of manners( they have never been taught and lack of awareness combined with ''sticking their faces in their phones all day''..this culture is built on the ''apology system''...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Obviously no notion of what it is like to be handicapped, nor any compassion whatsoever.
On does not simply "get in line" when wheelchair bound.
I have had Thai folks get off the lift or wait for the next trip, and I only need a cane. Obviously, to those not handicapped by evident visual  impairment, that is not happening here.

I don't get your post ,but I will say this ''if you think she waited and no one offered '' , I think you are wrong

• Sad 1

This happens in England as well. When I take my mother shopping I see many instances of people trying to push in front of us at the cashier, or when taking the elevator down to the supermarket (our supermarket has multi-storey parking) . One becomes inured to it, but it is very rude indeed. And don't get me started about those rude people who park in disabled parking spots.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

This happens in England as well. When I take my mother shopping I see many instances of people trying to push in front of us at the cashier, or when taking the elevator down to the supermarket (our supermarket has multi-storey parking) . One becomes inured to it, but it is very rude indeed. And don't get me started about those rude people who park in disabled parking spots.....

England must be very different from Australia then-which I doubt because,after all.we come from common stock.

The worst exhibition of selfish behaviour in regards to 'lifts' and airports is Suvarnabhumi and India.

It's okay tho' as I have a plastic and titanium leg so I don't feel nuthin' when I kick them.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

Probably in that same Big C, I've been known to move the trolleys of these inconsiderate buggers to the next aisle while they're not looking. Their look of confusion when they return to a vanished trolley is quite amusing.

Oh! I have done that a few times.:cheesy: I'm sure I have posted here on Thaivisa about this before.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

How can you post that, sorry you should be ashamed coming out with that nonsense.

Clearly you are not disabled, but fully able, or you would never post something like that.

Look again at the photo it is clear she is waiting to get in the lift.

we all know disrespectful thais,and i am the first to speak up( i have the enemys to prove it), but i find this story a bit one sided ,i find it impossible to believe that a woman in   wheel chair waited long for the lift as thais''barged in front'', thais are rude and ignorant and this culture can be very ''disengaged'', but i dont believe for a minute itt happened as she ''posted on socia  media''....not to a woman in a wheelchair..not even thais are that cruel

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I move them and load them up with other stuff. We should all start doing this nationally. 

I thought about that, but all you would be doing is giving the assistants more unnecessary work by having to put all these items back on the shelfs. It would be very unfair on them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

My understanding is that this is a system of "social debt" that Thais employ. It is meant to assimilate the kids into the Thai Borg ?

I remember standing on a BTS train when one five year old kid left his seat and I immediately sat on it. I was waiting for someone to complain, but no one said a word.

Having been wheelchair bound myself for almost three months, I can sympathise with this lady

There is very little in between, people are either more than willing to help, or they are just plain ignorant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

One of the most inconsiderate, ignorant races

You can deduce that by the way they treat each other. There will never be a welfare state here because everyone is only concerned about themselves.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm surprised they got up for you. In my experience, generally, they don't show foreigners the same social graces they do with each other.

Yes, I was going to post something similar myself.  Absolutely.  I am 70 and a few months ago had a lower back problem (since under control) when I had to take a walking stick everywhere.  Damn all people standing for the old farang with the walking stick to sit down.  When BTS was new and I was about 12 - 15 years younger, lots of people deferred (or offered to) for the late middle age farang.  Not Now!!!

P.S. There was a (black)  joke around a few years ago.  "Thank god for disabled parking spaces or I would never get a convenient parking space near the mall entrance."

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

I tried to help a disable lady once... she was attempting to get up the curb after crossing the road.. I asked her if she needed help.. She told me to F^<k off !!! (UK)

I gave up my seat on the sky train for an older lady the other day... some young lad jumped in it !!!... I told him to F^<k off !!! (UAE)

Both places are very wheelchair friendly....  Thailand is extremely unaccommodating for disabled people... how do I know? try pushing a kid around in a push-chair and get a taste... it is incredible the amount of times some effort appears to have been made to accommodate wheelchairs but with a 45 degree ramp, or a ramp on one side and 3 steps on the other or leading up to it... (some mind boggling thoughtlessness)... 

But the 'Thainess' leading to the ignorantly and absentmindedly ill treatment of disabled people in Thailand can be, and has been (on this thread) perfectly summarized in a new adjective.... "Me-ness'...

And thats about the sum of it... Many issues world wide and particularly in Thailand can be summarized with this simple term.... me-ness.. which also occasionally manifests itself  'so-what'...

Sometimes I shake my head, some excuses for humanity just need a kick in the d!<k !!

• Like 2