Thailand visitor arrivals up 11% in Jan-Jul

webfact

Thailand visitor arrivals up 11% in Jan-Jul

8d65bcf948f1047a4583f3f1f0171f2e.jpeg

Photo: Tourism Authority of Thailand

Thailand welcomed visitor arrivals of 22,657,730 over the period January-July 2018, up by 11 percent over the same period of 2017, according to preliminary figures tabulated by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports. Estimated visitor expenditure also rose significantly, up 14.44 percent to Bt1.18 trillion.

The top ten source markets of visitors to Thailand in January – July 2018:

Rank No. of Visitors percent Change

China

Malaysia

Korea

Lao PDR.

India

Japan

Russia

USA

Vietnam

Singapore

Remark: Preliminary figures

Source: Ministry of Tourism and Sports

Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn commented, “This strong growth is very encouraging in terms of numbers, but even more important are some of the emerging new trends; such as, the 23.3 percent increase in visitor arrivals by sea (July 2018), and the higher hotel occupancies being experienced by emerging secondary provinces; such as, Rayong, Suphan Buri, Chainat, Nakhon Pathom, Ang Thong and Phatthalung.”

East Asian countries accounted for 15.45 million visitors, or 68 percent of the total. China topped the list with 6,860,924 million arrivals. ASEAN countries generated over 5.62 million arrivals, with growth from the Philippines (+9.93 percent), Lao PDR.

(+9.31 percent), Cambodia (+8.43 percent), Vietnam (+7.83 percent), Indonesia (+7.67 percent), Malaysia (+6.80 percent) and Singapore (+2.97 percent). The only contractions were from Myanmar (-0.36 percent) and Brunei (-11.04 percent).

Arrivals from Europe were up 6.37 percent to 4.05 million. Russia is the largest source market out of Europe, with arrivals of 900,712, up by 16.24 percent.

Arrivals from the Americas were up 2.99 percent to 948,872. The main market, USA, was up by 5.82 percent to 656,327. 

Arrivals from South Asia grew by 12.11 percent to 1,133,057. India topped the list with arrivals of 919,130, up 13.24 percent.

Arrivals from Oceania declined by 1.49 percent to 532,296 visitors, largely due to lower arrivals from Australia (-1.82 percent).

Arrivals from the Middle East declined by 4.56 percent to 432,054.

Arrivals from Africa grew by 7.48 percent to 106,394. The top performing market was South Africa, up by 14.56 percent to 54,651.

In terms of revenue earnings, this is the breakdown of the estimated expenditure by the top ten performing markets: 

Rank

Country

Tourism Revenue (Million Baht)

percent Change

China

Russia

Malaysia

USA

UK

Korea

India

Japan

Australia

Germany

Remark: Preliminary figures

Source: Ministry of Tourism and Sports

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30353214

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-29

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Arrivals from Oceania declined by 1.49 percent to 532,296 visitors, largely due to lower arrivals from Australia (-1.82 percent).

Arrivals from the Middle East declined by 4.56 percent to 432,054.

Seems some are getting wise to the dangers!

12 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Ah yes, TAT numbers always funny to see … meanwhile in the real world Guest houses, bars etc. are closing on a daily basis - streets empty and no tourists to be seen except stinking buses driving Chinese around to Chinese owned restaurants

Chinese tourists are not big fans of guest houses and certainly not of bars, 

1 minute ago, Wallander4 said:

Didnt you read aussie, US and Euro tourists number are up too ... try follow for once

16 hours ago, webfact said:

23 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Ah yes, TAT numbers always funny to see … meanwhile in the real world Guest houses, bars etc. are closing on a daily basis - streets empty and no tourists to be seen except stinking buses driving Chinese around to Chinese owned restaurants

Interested to know where you are witnessing this ? I live in Jomtien Beach and even in low season its going gang-busters, new buildings, full resturants/bars etc. I have watched my local Thai BBQ place expand from a 200 seat place servicing Thais and westerners, now expanded to 400 seat servicing Thais, westerners and bus loads of Chinese, and its Thai owned.

1 minute ago, Radar501 said:

I did my best to boost the Aussie numbers.   Flew in from Melbourne on a multi visa, and did a border run.

Does that count as two arrivals?

At least 2 by TAT's counting methods................

2 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Didnt you read aussie, US and Euro tourists number are up too ... try follow for once

You only get one chance with me before you join my ignore list and you just blew it. Byee.

post 13 , so where do you drink then ? i   live in Jomtien the beer complex is like a ghost town, loads of bars shut. bars are empty. even two music bars empty, (me the only customer last week) and country road never busy, silly drinks prices for this place, i dont believe a word you say, stop telling *porkies*

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Interested to know where you are witnessing this ? I live in Jomtien Beach and even in low season its going gang-busters, new buildings, full resturants/bars etc. I have watched my local Thai BBQ place expand from a 200 seat place servicing Thais and westerners, now expanded to 400 seat servicing Thais, westerners and bus loads of Chinese, and its Thai owned.

Hua Hin is deserted.... maybe the family atmosphere of Pattaya is what they are after

On 8/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, NCC1701A said:

"Honey, we are finally in Thailand! What do you want to do first?"

"I can't decide between between getting hit over the head with a bottle or getting anally raped on a beach."

"Gee, you never do that with me."

"Honey, we are finally in Thailand! What do you want to do first?"

"I can't decide between between getting hit over the head with a bottle or getting anally raped on a beach."

okay darling but lets go on a boat trip first

8 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

those buses are not full, 4/5 years ago pretty much all were full.  i know i have a sad life bus spotting its what is known as going off the rails

The Chinese spending goes in  large part back to China through Chinese owned tour operators and other companies... they are a parochial and insular people who know and care little about anything outdide of their bubble.... 

The best tourists are from UK.... small numbers but high spend... and mainly on local Thai beer...

17 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Um don't mean to burst your bubble but you don't read or follow very well either.

lower arrivals from Australia (-1.82 percent).

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

So Laos , despite being the poorest nation in SE Asia , had nearly a million of its citizens visit Thailand ?

Visa runners , foreign backpackers and village traders perhaps but hardly tourists !

I suspect they are workers and are being bracketed into the total figures.

Could have fooled me arrived at swampy last night saw 4 Chinese small groups ( the flag is a give away) apart from that it was quiet. I was the only one in fast immigration line ( business class ticket) and the normal 500 mass at other immigration area was not there in fact half the booths were not manned. Saw many security ( grey uniforms) in groups asleep no passengers to harass and King Power shops empty ( nice).

I arrived yesterday afternoon around 1:15 pm from HCMC. I saw about 1 km of corridors, thanks to VietJet dropping us way out the end of C Gate 9. I was second out of our Airbus. All the corridors of C and D gates were completely devoid of passengers. Only saw uniformed airport staff. Not a single tour group or anyone else. I was the only passenger in a corridor smoking room.

The immigration lanes were utterly empty. Was 3rd or 4th in line. Most of the luggage carrousels were empty. I was one and only duty free customer at one shop. Went down a level and passed Jomtien/Hua Hin bus ticket area. Very sparse crowd.

I travel to BKK a lot. Another thing that's become very noticeable is the lack of Euro/NorthAm faces. 

Archived