Keyboard lettering fading away

bluesofa

I have had this problem with a couple of keyboards now. After perhaps six months, the letters on the keys start to disappear. Sometimes they appear to look scratched, other times the 'high white' fades away to grey.

I've taken a few photos, but unfortunately my camera seems to want to accentuate the contrast between the black key and the white of the lettering, making it difficult to highlight the problem clearly.

The attached is the best I have been able to do. You can see 'Q' and  '~' (both rarely used) are whiter than the other keys.

I specifically bought this Genius keyboard as I had one in the UK years ago and it was fine (even though I see now it's Chinese made).

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem, or can recommend a keyboard which the lettering will definitely not fade with use.

image.png.6a968bed93c5ad23bd2ed0eb5a7b7654.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=keyboard stickers&location=local

I keep several sets around.  I have "lost" more keyboards to fading letters in Thailand than anywhere else- most of them Logitech.  I can't help but think that their keyboards made for the Thai market are pad printed with a cheaper process.  My Logitech keyboards with no Thai characters hold up great.

Not sure if its just me, but I find that a white keyboard with black lettering lasts a lot longer. Although it shouldn't really matter concerning the fading as it is the same concept no matter what colour the keys are.

I have been using Oker boards for a while now with no problems to fading, but have never had a problem before with any other make, certainly not in a 6 month period.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=keyboard stickers&location=local

I keep several sets around.  I have "lost" more keyboards to fading letters in Thailand than anywhere else- most of them Logitech.  I can't help but think that their keyboards made for the Thai market are pad printed with a cheaper process.

That's interesting. I've also had a Logitech keyboard in the past too. IIRC that lasted a little longer.

Many years ago I had some of those keyboard stickers, but found they slid around the key and then came off, leaving a sticky reside on the key. Perhaps they're better quality now?

Regarding the sweaty fingers suggestion: It had occurred to me too, so unless sweaty fingers is directly proportional to age, I don't really see that - it didn't used to happen. I do nothing else, so it's not going to be just dirty fingers either (unlike my mind).

Just now, bluesofa said:

Regarding the sweaty fingers suggestion: It had occurred to me too, so unless sweaty fingers is directly proportional to age, I don't really see that - it didn't used to happen.

May be related to climate and the individual.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting. I've also had a Logitech keyboard in the past too. IIRC that lasted a little longer.

Many years ago I had some of those keyboard stickers, but found they slid around the key and then came off, leaving a sticky reside on the key. Perhaps they're better quality now?

There are sets for 30 baht, and sets for 200 baht.  Having worked QA inspections in China for 10+ years, I don't believe that price is a definitive indicator of quality or durability.  But I do believe some are better than others. Sadly, I cannot recommend one over the other.  I just don't know.

I'd go with a set that starts with 3M substrate, and I always wipe down my keys with rubbing alcohol or methanol before applying the stickers.  Out of perhaps 6 sets I have used, none has had an adhesion problem.  But 2 of the sets have had the letters wear off...

Cheap option, keyboard stickers. More expensive option a razor game keyboard with light, different process where the keys are lit so no stickers on them. But expensive, i love the keyboards my version has an extra line of programmable keys great for my job. 

There is an easy solution: After using keyboards for a couple of year you should know where all the letters are.

That's how my Microsoft keyboard looks after a couple of years. I think I paid more than 2,000B for that...

Keyboard.jpg.c333b505a26429b02004be3d2d70b16d.jpg

P.S.: Without a flash the dust doesn't look so bad. But maybe I should clean it one of these days.

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is an easy solution: After using keyboards for a couple of year you should know where all the letters are.

{snipped}

Ha ha, yes! But I am rather hard-of-learning.

I can type slowly when I'm using the keyboard at night with a small, not very bright lamp not lighting the keyboard, but not very fast at all.

The other thing is typing in Thai is much more difficult without sight of the keyboard.

Archived