Taking Urimax (Tamsulosin) for prostate, not sure I should continue.

giddyup

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

T3-4 years ago I was suffering from frequent/urgent urination and  my Thai doctor (She is the most highly regarded GP in the Chiang Mai area amongst the Ex Community) recommended I take Doxazosine 4mg... This has worked wonderfully and  the only side effect is morning wood..

Cost 800 baht for a box of 100 (+3 month supply)...

C9A55EEC-3A10-4BAA-AE0F-39349E349A54.jpeg

Another Thai generic, 2 mg per tablet. No idea what it costs.

Cardolin-26002PPS0.JPG

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I do remember a couple of posters saying that they had prostate ops done there, but not sure if it was Urolift??

Hopefully someone who has had it done will chip in, either that or I start a new post.

Doxazosin is in the same family of drugs/same action as Tamsulosin so not likely to work for OP since tamsulosin did not. These drugs work by relaxing the neck of the bladder a bit so that urine passes more easily and are more effective in men with small amount of enlargement.

Likely OP's doctor will next put him on a class of drugs called 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, of which Proscar is one. These actually shrink the enlarged prostate but take months to work.

Urolift is nto yet available in India nor anywhere in Asia that I am aware of - it is very new and physicians have to be specially trained in it.  In addition, the implant device is very expensive. It is available in the US, UK, Australia and some European countries. See  https://www.urolift.com/find-a-physician  Select the country (top of page) you want then click on "find a physician"

While Urolift has some distinct advantages it also has some disadvantages (including high cost of the implant, which is nto going to change any time soon as it is under patent) and is  not suitable for all patients. See this article, table 2  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5117169/

What you can get in India, which you can't here, is:

PAE (prostatic artery emobolization)

HOLEPS

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

The idea of having that tube pushed up my pecker makes my toes curl.

Well consider this...……..after my TURP I had to self catheterise 3 or 4 times a day for 10 days or so and just recently after a bladder neck op here I was having to do the same in order to pee!!

Standing in the bathroom with surgical gloves on, tube of xylocaine with long nozzle ready to squirt it up the old fella, then pushing up a catheter till it reached the bladder was no fun in the beginning, but after a while it became a blessing as it relieved the pain and discomfort of having a full/overfull bladder!!

And believe me, you will do anything to relieve that pressure...…...you'd be surprised what you can do if you have to!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

I'm one of the guys who went to India for prostate surgery. I was having serious BPH problems and I felt it would not be long before I couldn't urinate at all. 

I was dead set against surgery. The thought of anything being inserted into my urethra, really gave me the creeps, but medication didn't work, so I felt I had no choice. I was surprised that after making the arrangements to go to India, the anxiety went away and I was actually looking forward to it.

I had the Greenlight Laser Surgery. The price was US $4,000, which I thought was very reasonable. One night in hospital and one week in New Delhi.

The surgery itself was really nothing. I was asleep, so I felt nothing. I had a catheter for 3 days. That was a bit uncomfortable, but not painful. 

That was 18 months ago, and today everything is working the way it should. I'm very, very, pleased with the outcome. 

How did you decide which doctor and hospital to use, and are there any side effects like sexual dysfunction, incontinence etc?. Are you still getting up during the night for a pee? Was the week in Delhi just to be sure there was no infection etc? Oh, and how old are you?

Edited by giddyup

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well consider this...……..after my TURP I had to self catheterise 3 or 4 times a day for 10 days or so and just recently after a bladder neck op here I was having to do the same in order to pee!!

Standing in the bathroom with surgical gloves on, tube of xylocaine with long nozzle ready to squirt it up the old fella, then pushing up a catheter till it reached the bladder was no fun in the beginning, but after a while it became a blessing as it relieved the pain and discomfort of having a full/overfull bladder!!

And believe me, you will do anything to relieve that pressure...…...you'd be surprised what you can do if you have to!

I feel for you, but can understand that relieving a full bladder is a matter of urgency.

I chose the Dr. on recomendation of another TVF member. No incontinence. No sexual dysfunction.

I was getting up 7-8 times a night. Now, once or twice. A couple of times, I've slept through the night.

Dr. told me to plan on 5 days in India. I thought a couple extra days to be safe. No problems.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

I chose the Dr. on recomendation of another TVF member. No incontinence. No sexual dysfunction.

I was getting up 7-8 times a night. Now, once or twice. A couple of times, I've slept through the night.

Dr. told me to plan on 5 days in India. I thought a couple extra days to be safe. No problems.

Not to quibble on price, but $4000 seems pretty high for India. The Urolift op in Australia is only A$6000 (US$4300) and Aussie prices are over the moon compared to a lot of countries, but I guess what price for a good night's sleep? Did you price the same op in Thailand, because I believe Greenlight surgery is done here as well.

Edited by giddyup

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I feel for you, but can understand that relieving a full bladder is a matter of urgency.

Sure is...………….after the TURP in Melbourne I couldn't pee and waited and waited and nothing happened.

Then I almost passed out and it was too painful to walk...……...was rushed into the emergency unit of the hospital where the nurse inserted a catheter (rather brutally I thought) and drained 1.5 litres of urine. 

I asked him if it was a record and he said he didn't know but it was the most he'd ever seen!!

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not to quibble on price, but $4000 seems pretty high for India. The Urolift op in Australia is only A$6000 (US$4300) and Aussie prices are over the moon compared to a lot of countries, but I guess what price for a good night's sleep? Did you price the same op in Thailand, because I believe Greenlight surgery is done here as well.

Don't forget to read Sheryl's post and links to this procedure...……….extremely good info as to who is suitable etc.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Don't forget to read Sheryl's post and links to this procedure...……….extremely good info as to who is suitable etc.

Where is the link? I did a search for Greenlight surgery but got no hits.

Edited by giddyup

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Sheryl said:

While Urolift has some distinct advantages it also has some disadvantages (including high cost of the implant, which is nto going to change any time soon as it is under patent) and is  not suitable for all patients. See this article, table 2  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5117169/

Above. 

I have just started taking beta sitosterol at the suggestion of another member. But they say it takes 2 to 3 weeks before any changes are noticed. 

I do think my problem is diet related though. When on holiday in Europe for 3 weeks most nights I slept right through and the worst was only getting up one time, while in Bangkok I was getting up 2 or 3 times a night.  I was also drinking much more coffee in Europe than I do here. However, my biggest concerns are with flow rather night time visits to the lav. 

I guess I must be fortunate. The Tamsulosin CR 0.4mg HCL worked for me the first day.  That was a Canadian generic brand. I subsequently bought the Uroflow (generic) brand at SC Drugs in Bangkok for about 650 baht for 30 days. Equally effective. Still getting up about 2-3 times a night but it has been very effective during the day, going a couple of hours or more without the usual embarrassing multiple washroom trips at the pub. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I guess I must be fortunate. The Tamsulosin CR 0.4mg HCL worked for me the first day.  That was a Canadian generic brand. I subsequently bought the Uroflow (generic) brand at SC Drugs in Bangkok for about 650 baht for 30 days. Equally effective. Still getting up about 2-3 times a night but it has been very effective during the day, going a couple of hours or more without the usual embarrassing multiple washroom trips at the pub. 

I have no problems during the day, only urinate every 3 hours or so with little trouble, but during the night I get up 3 or 4 times and it's difficult to get the flow started when the bladder is full. I'm stopping the Urimax though, after 2 weeks no improvement, if anything it may have made the problem worse.

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have no problems during the day, only urinate every 3 hours or so with little trouble, but during the night I get up 3 or 4 times and it's difficult to get the flow started when the bladder is full. I'm stopping the Urimax though, after 2 weeks no improvement, if anything it may have made the problem worse.

That's interesting because I have a couple of things in common with you, however I rarely visit the loo in the daytime, probably because I don't drink much water, but that's always been a problem of mine.

But if I go out at night and partake of a few glasses of wine and a few beers not to mention various other concoctions, it's almost as if the bladder is too full to operate, because I can't pee. So when I get home I stand there for a while trying to expel as much as I can, which is often very little, knowing full well that I will be getting up in three hours time to try again, and then again and possibly once more.

Nowadays I get up once in the night unless I go out on the turps, which unfortunately is going to be tonight!

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's interesting because I have a couple of things in common with you, however I rarely visit the loo in the daytime, probably because I don't drink much water, but that's always been a problem of mine.

But if I go out at night and partake of a few glasses of wine and a few beers not to mention various other concoctions, it's almost as if the bladder is too full to operate, because I can't pee. So when I get home I stand there for a while trying to expel as much as I can, which is often very little, knowing full well that I will be getting up in three hours time to try again, and then again and possibly once more.

Nowadays I get up once in the night unless I go out on the turps, which unfortunately is going to be tonight!

I find that when I get up in the night if I sit down for 10 minutes it relaxes the prostate and I can pee a lot better.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Same for me. I've tried all the alpha blockers, Tamsulosin, Doxazosin, Terazosin. They all work for me, but with one unpleasant side effects.....they make me very sleepy. It took me ages to twig why I was so tired !

Tamsulosin has probably the least side effects and I take it before bed. The alternative of doing nothing would be worse...

I've been following this thread with keen interest and I'm somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned anything about remedial tactics that are known to work without the need for medication.

The first and easiest to learn is the Kegel exercise. I do this at least twice a day, sometimes more and I include the deep breathing, mentioned earlier by Sheryl. Personally, I think this far more beneficial than sitting. ('sitting is the new smoking' I have read)

The second is prostate massage. This was used by physicians before medication was available and was regarded as the standard treatment. I know that this is readily available in the larger conurbations in Thailand, but it is not necessary to visit a professional. It is possible to massage ones self by various means, or for those lucky enough to have partnered up with a masseuse (or masseur of course) they can have their partner do the massage for them. (often with benefits ?) I recommend 'The Prostate Massage Manual' by Ronald M. Bazar. (Available as an E-book)

I thoroughly recommend a daily constitutional walk.

I also practise Qigong daily and one particular form that I use is known to benefit the whole of the reproductive system. But you do need a competent instructor to learn it properly. I can recommend an on-line programme to anyone who is interested.

I don't think I need to expand on the benefits of restricting alcohol and caffeine. I think we're all aware of that. My prostate quickly punishes me if I 'forget'!

I've had BPH for several years now, but have never had to resort to medication. Many of these meds are known to have side-affects, (or contraindications as you doctors put it)

The are no side-affects to my methods. Only benefits. And often, benefits that go beyond treating the prostate itself.

Taking charge of your own treatment can not only be beneficial, it is satisfying as well, not to mention a lot cheaper!

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The second is prostate massage. This was used by physicians before medication was available and was regarded as the standard treatment. I know that this is readily available in the larger conurbations in Thailand, but it is not necessary to visit a professional. It is possible to massage ones self by various means, or for those lucky enough to have partnered up with a masseuse (or masseur of course) they can have their partner do the massage for them. (often with benefits ?) I recommend 'The Prostate Massage Manual' by Ronald M. Bazar. (Available as an E-book)

I'm not sure I could stop the meds now. If I forget the night before, everything in that area becomes tight and going for a pee is a laborious process.

But I like the sound of a prostate massage...where in Bangkok can I find that ? I did see a place on Sukhumvit soi 22 advertising such a service, but I'm not their medical knowledge would be up to scratch !