Land problem

My wife bought 2 rai of property with a concrete wall around it. The wall was built 15 years ago. The adjoining land to the north of  her property was recently sold to new owners. After purchase, the new owners had the land surveyed and it was learned that the concrete wall encroached on their property to about 1/2 meter. What is my wife's liability since she did not build the wall?

Did she have a survey done when she bought the land? If not I suspect you may have to move the wall.

That said, the new owner bought his land as seen and was happy. Time for wifey to talk methinks, maybe offer to buy the errant strip for a sensible price considering the above.

Just to throw an idea your way,that part with the wall is not on your land so it is not your wall,end of discussion.

Crossy is probably right.Having the wall tore down and rebuilt again will probably cost more then the strip of land.You could also agree on sharing the expense,good fences make good neighbours.

Good luck working this one out.

59 minutes ago, Bushwhacker said:

My wife bought 2 rai of property with a concrete wall around it. 

The wall was built 15 years ago. The adjoining land to the north of her property was recently sold to new owners. After purchase, the new owners had the land surveyed and it was learned that the concrete wall encroached on their property to about 1/2 meter.

Firstly let your wife's land measurements paperwork be checked the new owners having the land surveyed after purchase don't sound right to me.

Maybe not the same but my wife had much the same problem but ours was 12 years old at the time and funny enough coincided right at the time when me allegedly rich hubby turned up to live. 

It's been over 10 years, maybe you can claim squatters rights...it hasn't been contested in 15 years ("The wall was built 15 years ago".   

For a change, it would be nice to hear that a "farang and family" have benefit from the arcane land rights rules...instead of pummeled. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the best way forward although at a cost to you is to get the land deed measurements verified. If the wall is indeed on their land then you need do nothing.

Not wishing to distort the thread but I have never found out who is responsible for which boundary wall upkeep in Thailand, maybe someone could enlighten me?...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Not wishing to distort the thread but I have never found out who is responsible for which boundary wall upkeep in Thailand, maybe someone could enlighten me?...

From what I understand in Thailand and gathered from what we have done is you put your, lets say posts on the inside of the boundary line that is in our case marked by a local gov post.

line.png.7ca3b23852c6ec45674ac4d99ed855a1.png

Don't know about OP but our dispute was dealt with by the local gov the complainants of such were trying it on to get a payment.

• Like 2

How long has your wife owned the property, and did she build the wall?

I agree you should have your own survey done. How much of the wall is in question? You don’t want the same issue coming up again with your next new neighbors.

If your wife did not build the wall, and if it is not on her property you should be fine.

Worst case, have whatever portion of the wall interferes knocked down and pushed just over the line or hauled away.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How long has your wife owned the property, and did she build the wall?

I agree you should have your own survey done. How much of the wall is in question? You don’t want the same issue coming up again with your next new neighbors.

If your wife did not build the wall, and if it is not on her property you should be fine.

Worst case, have whatever portion of the wall interferes knocked down and pushed just over the line or hauled away.

Personally I would say & do nothing and ignore it, it's been 15 years and the neighbours bought the land without a survey, so bought as seen.

Moaning about 500 mm of land which their survey alleged is theirs just make em trouble-makers, let them take it to court.

If their right they are the proud owners of a wall. ?

Personally, I would want to be clear on what I owned or did not own.

I think if the wife built it on someone else’s property, she can’t be forced to move it, but she could be forced to remove it.

I’m guessing there are at least two more sides that may be in question.