International passengers set to face 200 baht increase to fly abroad

webfact

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

What the he'll are they doing now. Probably a new minister comes up with getting more money for a new invention. The government are concerned with making sure that tourists keep coming in. This will increase flight prices and people will look at other places like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Then it will be, tourist numbers down, why?

this is not the way to keep tourist's coming in.

Thailand are killing their trade.

Like someone else said, if $6 is going to make someone choose another destination, they're probably not the target demographic.

Forget about using the money to improve airport. I can't get over how much money the government gets from income and VAT, gazillions of baht , and they can't even paint divider lines on roads.

I am flabba ghasted.

Don't citizens ever sit down and do the math.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hansnl said:

The real issues, sir, are  the profit for the shareholders and the bonuses for the top managers, not necessarily in that order.

Indeed, precisely as I said: " ... whether or not the money is well spent ... "

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peterthaifrench said:

AOT chief Darun Saengchai said this would provide an extra 200 million baht for airport efficiency and maintenance.Go back to school 40,000,000 int passenger x 200 baht = 8 billions bahts

I'm sure their math is correct - remember the envelopes that must be stuffed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

1000 baht rentry fee plus this fee means that your not so budget Air Asia flight to one of the neighbouring ASEAN countries is going to cost an extra £50 or $60 USD. 

Once did a round trip on AA KL-Siem Reap.  The Cambodian visa-on-arrival and the departure fee to leave that country came out to more than the cost of the ticket.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Exactly, a few years ago you used to pay 500 Baht at the entrance to the departure gates. They then switched to incorporating the charge into ticket prices, and surreptitiously added 200 Baht. So  I want to know who gave Daily News those figures in the article, and do the authorities really think we are that dumb. Now the departure tax will be 900 Baht not 600.

it would help if the thai visa team added some value to what they do and clarify misleading articles instead of simply cutting, pasting and posting. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, samsensam said:

it would help if the thai visa team added some value to what they do and clarify misleading articles instead of simply cutting, pasting and posting. 

How many times does it need to be said ?

The TV team have to post what they receive in full without any changes

18 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Exactly, a few years ago you used to pay 500 Baht at the entrance to the departure gates. They then switched to incorporating the charge into ticket prices, and surreptitiously added 200 Baht. So  I want to know who gave Daily News those figures in the article, and do the authorities really think we are that dumb. Now the departure tax will be 900 Baht not 600.

Few years ago they also added a few hundred to the free for safety on the airports iirc....I even don't know how much it is now. If we got anything back for that money i wouldn't complaint but they even can't speak english om Don Mueang, there's no smokingspace, long qeueu's for a taxi and so on.....wasted money me things, pure greed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thian said:

Few years ago they also added a few hundred to the free for safety on the airports iirc....I even don't know how much it is now. If we got anything back for that money i wouldn't complaint but they even can't speak english om Don Mueang, there's no smokingspace, long qeueu's for a taxi and so on.....wasted money me things, pure greed.

It may not be money well spent but 200thb on a international flight is probably still in line with inflation 

What hasn't gotten more expensive in the last few years..... 

2 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

It may not be money well spent but 200thb on a international flight is probably still in line with inflation 

What hasn't gotten more expensive in the last few years..... 

Emirates tickets to BKK haven't gotten more expensive....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

It never ends!

Notice how this is not aimed at domestic air travel, which is mostly Thai and straight at foreigners.

Don't worry though? Thailand Loves you.

Not really but they DO love your money!

Some people on here really need to get a sense of balance.  It is a 200 baht raise to a fee hasn't risen in years on a tax that pretty much ALL airports levy.  And by and large it is reasonable.  And projecting your paranoia on to the rise just makes it funnier - they are out to get foreigners!  

London Heathrow has different APD (Airport Passenger Duty) rates too.  Short haul is much cheaper than long haul so do you want to scream about that too like you do here about the difference in Domestic and International?  They also charge more for Premium Economy and Business Class passengers.  Thailand doesn't do that but if they did you would be shouting "racism" as business class passengers are more likely to be rich Westerners, right?

For your interest LHR charges are thus:

• Shorthaul economy: 13GBP / 545 THB
  • Shorthaul business: 26GBP / 1090 THB
  • Longhaul economy: 78GBP / 3,270 THB
  • Longhaul premium cabin: 172GBP / 7,210 THB.

Seriously, it's 200 baht.  Get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Some people on here really need to get a sense of balance.  It is a 200 baht raise to a fee hasn't risen in years on a tax that pretty much ALL airports levy.  And by and large it is reasonable.  And projecting your paranoia on to the rise just makes it funnier - they are out to get foreigners!  

London Heathrow has different APD (Airport Passenger Duty) rates too.  Short haul is much cheaper than long haul so do you want to scream about that too like you do here about the difference in Domestic and International?  They also charge more for Premium Economy and Business Class passengers.  Thailand doesn't do that but if they did you would be shouting "racism" as business class passengers are more likely to be rich Westerners, right?

Stop it stop it stop it with these facts!!!!! We want to whinge about the 200 baht, they fate farangs wah wah wah........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

It never ends!

Notice how this is not aimed at domestic air travel, which is mostly Thai and straight at foreigners.

Well because they were so smart to go for quantity instead of quality they had to build bigger and more airports. And tourists have to pay the bill for that it seems.

Let's face it. Income tax isn't exactly a winner for the government in this country, and probably not company tax either. For the obvious reasons ...

Which leaves mostly just 'indirect' taxes (VAT/GST), anti-progressive as they are. In the current instance however, they ARE progressive. 95% of Thais never travel on planes and 99.9% never on international flights. So JUSTICE says only a few wealthy Thais + all those silly falangs get to pay this particular tax. Perfectly sensible, I think. The peasants I live amongst here in Surin would die of fright if they had to board a plane, so why should THEY pay in their VAT/GST for you & me to galivant around the globe?

Edited by mfd101

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Reading should be a prerequisite to posting!

Do you know the difference between tongue and cheek and paranoia?

What does London Heathrow have to do with Thailand?

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

It never ends!

In contrast to all other countries on the planet.

Slowly killing the golden goose tourism with one stupid idea following another more stupid one.
Tourism numbers are rising so one would think they can maintain this tax.
But no, clever Thai are raising it.

Just one more ideas and a unrest or another coup during election time next year and bye bye for tourism in Thailand.

Some friends that mostly like beach holidays and have been to Thailand and neighbouring countries won't come back here.
They said the beaches in Vietnam and Malaysia are much better and people speak more English.