Isuzu Mu-X

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

The Toyota has automatic engine stop which bugs, not sure if the new Isuzu does or not.

The Mu-X does, but in 18 months I've owned the beast it never has stopped the engine.

The list of reasons in the manual for it not to stop the engine is pretty long (including the A/C compressor running).

The Mu-X does, but in 18 months I've owned the beast it never has stopped the engine.

The list of reasons in the manual for it not to stop the engine is pretty long (including the A/C compressor running).

Feel blessed. The ‘tuna shuts off virtually every time it stops. You can turn the “feature” off every time you start it, but you (apparently) cannot set it to default off.

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

Six months ago, I went from a three year old top-model 2WD Isuzu pickup to a top-model 2WD Fortuner and I do not think it significantly better than the Isuzu.

The Fortuner is nicer inside, but it is not more comfortable. It is quieter, but it does not seem to be more powerful, and the Isuzu seemed to get better mileage. The Fortuner rides a little better.

The Fortuner is better looking (ours is white with black roof, red/black leather interior) but had it not been for my wife I’d of gone with the MuX.

I do not like the Toyota navigation OS and liked Isuzu/Garmin OS much better. Also, map updates for the Isuzu were THB 600.

Isuzu service is much cheaper than Toyota.

The Toyota has automatic engine stop which bugs, not sure if the new Isuzu does or not.

My only experience with the mux is sitting in the back for a trip from chonburi to BKK. The rear seat ride is truly awful (and that was after the suspension was changed to make it more comfortable). That's my wife's work vehicle so she can't avoid travelling in it every week. The Everest is best in class in this aspect. 

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

12 hours ago, mogandave said:

Feel blessed. The ‘tuna shuts off virtually every time it stops. You can turn the “feature” off every time you start it, but you (apparently) cannot set it to default off.

If this is true, full marks to the MUX for an easy way to defeat the annoying stop start system.   Most vehicles I have driven with this system still stop and start when the AC is on, just more often and even more annoying.   

Edited by Jitar

On 9/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, jakestevernson said:

Thanks Jitar, I just at don't understand why I would have to stay driving within the province I bought the car from for a month. However, it's the rules, so I will get on with it I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don’t expect Thais motor dealers to have a list of registration number to choose from, as in many other countries, they don’t do simple. 

Our car had red plates for over 4 months, no problem. We drove it out of province and at night and were never stopped for having red plates. 

Mind you, we were stopped for so called speeding, which we weren’t, but FIL is a cop there and he sorted it out. 

So, don’t sweat having red plates. ?

Thanks Khundon,

I hope to drive down to the south with the family next month so appreciate your advice in case the new plates haven't arrived by then.

My next issue to sort out the wireless mirroring from my phone on to the front screen.

Also is it worth buying a rear recording camera? I am tempted as it's only around 3,000baht.

JS

27 minutes ago, jakestevernson said:

Thanks Khundon,

I hope to drive down to the south with the family next month so appreciate your advice in case the new plates haven't arrived by then.

My next issue to sort out the wireless mirroring from my phone on to the front screen.

Also is it worth buying a rear recording camera? I am tempted as it's only around 3,000baht.

JS

Push the dealer. White plates should come within one month, but te obtain the white plates the dealer has to pay the registration fees. A few years ago there was a white plate shortage, but not anymore. Any delay in the white plates is the fault of the dealer.

Cheers guys, bloody helpful advice in this forum, it's really appreciated. Hopefully I can pass on some helpful knowledge in the years to come. So far my move back to LOS has gone well, and the information I have received on this website has played a good part in things going smoothly!

JS

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, jakestevernson said:

Black, I will post a photo later. I am happy with the look since I upgraded the wheels.

How’s the MUX driving after a few months? I like the look and was in the dealership today asking about trading in my V Cross. Did you get the 1.9 or 3lt? Not a huge difference in price between them. Thought the cruise control was a bit much especially in Thailand ????. Liked the idea of the tv in the back for the kids though. 

The wheels on the one in the dealership looked good and the girl said they where standard. What did you upgrade to and where they expensive? 

I drove the 1.9 as the test-drive, if felt gutless as opposed to the 3l Ranger (manual box) which we had (still have too).

Bought the 3L 4x4 auto all singing, all dancing Mu-X. Generally very happy, sips along at 12.5-13 km/l. Bluetooth to the phone for my fix of Radio-2 whilst commuting.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I drove the 1.9 as the test-drive, if felt gutless as opposed to the 3l Ranger (manual box) which we had (still have too).

Bought the 3L 4x4 auto all singing, all dancing Mu-X. Generally very happy, sips along at 12.5-13 km/l. Bluetooth to the phone for my fix of Radio-2 whilst commuting.

Thanks Crossy, Mogandave and Transam for the input. The price for the MU X iconic, 4x2 3.0 auto is 1,399,000. They offered 500,000 as trade in for my 7 year old Vcross with almost 200k’s on the clock. 

On 9/3/2018 at 9:08 PM, jakestevernson said:

The drive is nice and since I changed the wheels on the car from the 18in to 20inch I am generally pleased with the look.

Looks are nice but did you happen to consider handling and ride characteristics? It makes a massive difference you know, right? MUX is a 4x4 or are they also available in 2 wheel drive version? 

Looks are nice but did you happen to consider handling and ride characteristics? It makes a massive difference you know, right? MUX is a 4x4 or are they also available in 2 wheel drive version? 

They’re available in 2WD and drive fine.

Isuzu = cheap parts and service.

Make sure you adjust tire pressure to the spec in the door-jamb.

Congratulations on your new vehicle Jakestevenson , excellent choice.Thank you for sharing your experience.

Except for the engine, and some  cosmetics, isn't the Isuzu muX and Chevy trailblazer  Identical?  The reason I am saying that is , because I will be coming back to Thailand in a few months and will need another car,  (we now have a 2014 michu miraze just to have something to drive when we are there) . I have being researching the subject in the companies respective websites. I like the 3,0 muX engine, though older and noisy, I understand it is bulletproof, has being around for a while so everyone knows how to work on them, and parts are readily available. But Chevy is having some good deals on the Trailblazer (TRAILBLAZER 4x4 A/T LTZ special offer 1,299,000.) and its  2.5 Duramax engine does get good reviews and has the same output as the Isuzu 3.0, Though I do realise that the dealership/service network of Chevy is not as good as the Isuzu's. But I did have a Chevy Colorado a few years ago and the service in Khon Kaen was not bad, not that we used them  much, since we never had any problem with it (only went there for scheduled maintenance, and wife mostly dealt with it  since I travel a lot.

anyway any thought would be appreciated.

Why the MUx over the Trailblazer? (dont care about resale,)

Edited by sirineou

Chevy is now on an entirely different platform from Isuzu.

The MuX is a fine vehicle and people that think it’s not likely have little or no experience with it.

I’m currently diving a year-old Fortuner which I do not believe is a better vehicle than the MuX. I do think the ‘tuna looks better.

Isuzu is cheaper to buy, and much cheaper to maintain.

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

The MuX is a fine vehicle and people that think it’s not likely have little or no experience with it.

I’m currently diving a year-old Fortuner which I do not believe is a better vehicle than the MuX. I do think the ‘tuna looks better.

Mogandave, you’ve had a number of vehicles over the years. Any experience with the Pajero?  Had a test drive one yesterday the 4x4 sports. Nice for a drive, looks more plush inside than the MUX I think.  Waiting to see what Mitsubishi offer us for our V Cross as trade in. Although it looks nicer on the inside compared to the MUX one thing I did notice was the driver and passenger seat was not as comfortable. So for driving comfort I’m still swaying toward the MUX but not fully decided yet. End of the day it all comes down to prices. 

Have not driven the Pajero, sat in it and thought it seemed to be a good value, but never really liked the look.

The Fortuner interior looks great. The red and black leather, textured surfaces and trim pieces are much plusher than the Isuzu. The Isuzu (IMO) is roomier and the seats are more comfortable.

The Garmin based GPS in the Isuzu was great, the Toyota GPS blows.

The Toyota cruise control is great and I like the way it looks, and I think it might be a little quieter. It handles a little better, but not enough to offset the seat comfort. A smaller guy would probably like the ‘tuna more than I do.

The Isuzu is much cheaper to service and few economy of suzi’s 3l is better than the ‘tuna’s 2.8.

Power is similar, certainly neither one has significantly more power than the other, at least not driving them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mogandave said:

"Both the Chevrolet Trailblazer and Isuzu mu-X are based on the same platform and body style, which is quite assuring for the fact that the basic silhouette of both the SUVs is very similar.May 22, 2018"

https://www.zigwheels.ph/car-feature-stories/chevrolet-trailblazer-vs-isuzu-mu-x-which-is-the-better-pick