I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

On 10/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I adopted my Thai stepson when he was little, even  before me and Mrs G actually formally married. 

So, he became a US citizen by default.

Could you even imagine Thailand adopting anything like that?

No matter what we all think about Trump, xenophobia, walls, Brexit it pales in comparison to what the Thai elite think about foreigners

My Mother-in-Law had 5 kids, and informally adopted a little Thai boy (they were sorta Vietnamese). After we left Thailand for the USA, she got popped for being out of her assigned province (she was a refugee of sorts) and spent a year or so in a detention camp. The little boy was left foundering, as we couldn't do much due to our young age and income, communication, etc.  The homies (siblings) didn't do much either.  The little boy grew up, fell into a bad crowd. Died in prison of AIDS. 

He was a precious little boy. I loved that kid. Just Damn!

10 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My Mother-in-Law had 5 kids, and informally adopted a little Thai boy (they were sorta Vietnamese). After we left Thailand for the USA, she got popped for being out of her assigned province (she was a refugee of sorts) and spent a year or so in a detention camp. The little boy was left foundering, as we couldn't do much due to our young age and income, communication, etc.  The homies (siblings) didn't do much either.  The little boy grew up, fell into a bad crowd. Died in prison of AIDS. 

He was a precious little boy. I loved that kid. Just Damn!

That is a tragic, and I fear not that uncommon a story

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

All  this objectivity is beyond me.I just sit and shiver on an average Summers Day back home.

I'm talking mostly about Queensland which is bigger by far then all Thailand.  Mostly they only have 2 types of weather Hot and F...ing hot.  All though I do remember camping out near Blackall which rimes with F...all out beyond the black stump and that's a long way west from the coast.  In the middle of winter we had to crack the ice on top of the water bucket in the early morning to make a cup of tea.  Such is life.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I guess if you are still wanted in OZ you will have to decide if you can still

afford LOS, or head for one of those other nearly paradise places, at least

OZ is not Canada, and your Winters are only rainy. Oops am I assuming again?

Geezer

I have friends from Australia who have gone to live in Ecuador, after spending 6 years travelling the world including Thailand looking for the ideal place to live.  The language bit in Thailand put a stop to living there, that was their second choice.  You must be able to speak Spanish to get permanent residency in Ecuador.  His partner is French she fluent in Spanish and English as well, he's getting there (slowly).  They have a bought 40 acres of farmland and happy.  If you buy farm land in Ecuador you must produce a commercial crop within about 3 years or you loose it...they don't have their own money in Ecuador they use US dollars.  US citz can just come and go with their bags of money.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Health care for the elderly is unnatural and pointless, I accept my fate whatever it may be.

Enjoy your erectile dysfunction, adult diapers, limited mobility and dementia, hopefully, I'll give them a miss.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:19 AM, colinneil said:

So you are going to give limited mobility a miss!!

What a crazy comment, maybe you will like me have no choice regarding that.

If you are going to give limited mobility a miss, stay inside your home, never ever dare to go on the roads here, as doing so you could very easily lose your mobility, due to no fault of yours, but others.

It nearly borders on delusional or insanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, David Walden said:

I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

By Ban Phe Dezza, September 5 in General topics 

This post was previously installed by me on this web site.  It is an example offered to persons who may need to return to Australia after some years of being away in Thailand about how thing are likely to be better back in Aus if they need to go.  I believe it is quite relevant to this discussion.  Others clearly disagree.  If you have to return to Australia after a long time absent and are receiving the Australian Aged Pension.  I believe if you applied the same criteria with food got around on a 125 cc motor bike, Used rice as a basic food item and lived on sausages, mince meat, eggs, bread lots of cheap fruit in Queensland and rented a cheap granny flat or similar in a larger regional location in Aus. add all the other benefits available subsidised by our government like free comprehensive hospital and medical services, very low cost subsidised medicines, free transport etc,.etc. you would be be much better financially then in Thailand...just do the sums.  It just so happens that the example I have shown here is about my happy as ever brother living in Queensland Australia.  Excessive taxes on beer and alcohol in Australia is why many older people are poor.  As we all know a large bottle of spirits in Aus can cost $40+ dollars.  The same thing in Thailand can be Bt250 or about Aus $10.

This was my previous post:-.... I have a brother in Queensland who had some problems with alcohol. Hasn't touched a drop for 20 years and helps runs local  "triple A" in his area.   After the turmoil of 20 years ago he got himself together lost his modest house then and got about $30,000 change after loosing everything, his 4 daughters still love him.  In hospital for weeks sorting himself out did not cost a penny under Australia free Medicare.  He often tells the story of when he woke up in hospital after a very bad alcohol bing, he ask the doctor how long do you think I'll live, the doctor said "about 3 weeks but I can help you and did so", yes hasn't touch a drop in 20 years now. Still has a few issues from the effects of excessive alcohol consumption in the past.  His daughters managed things for a while when the crises hit, sorted out his money could have lost the lot. Moved to small town about 100km south west of Rockhampton QLD with another larger town with a good hospital 20 km away.  He bought a block of land not far from down town  just near the edge, not far.  Quarter acres for $15,000 really a small sheep paddock,  and of course kangaroos visit often, put a modest shed on it bought an old cheap caravan.  Another 20 people did the same in this small real cheap subdivision.  This is quite common in QLD, the local council doesn't like it but are tollarent.  There are probably 200,000 or more people living this way in QLD and happy. 

He was a licenced electrician and a good one in the past, now retired built his own solar power system for the shed and caravan.  When a 3 day major blackout happened in town a few years ago 500 people must have asked him "how come you have power" ( the caravan is a bit sorry looking, he loves it ).  He gets the Australian Aged Pension (AAP).  He is alway doing electrical job for people around town and mostly forgets to send them a bill "many can't afford it" he tells me. Just pay for the bits and I'll fix it"  Yes but some do pay.  He tells me he doesn't mind if they don't pay because his pension is quite enough to live on comfortably.  He goes to the town 20 km away to buy all his requirements on pension day at a big supermarket and buys for the next 2 weeks, then does it again 2 weeks later, he enjoy the trip to that town. The AAA is located there so he catches up with friends.  His town has a much more expensive small supermarket, doesn't go there often.  If the businesses in town want something fixed and that is quite often we'll they pay for the electrical work, he's not fancy but he is cheap.  Never sends them a bill  the money still comes in from the farmers or the baker or the butcher, sometimes it 3 kgs of of top quality "T" bone steaks and good stuff.  He doesn't care what people think he has just turned 74y/o and is happy. He's a bit of an item around town.  Go for a walk around town with him and 20 people will say hello. The 2 people next to his block on both side are mature aged ladies 60/70 y/o or so as are others on the estate, very safe place.  The ladies do get him to fix a few things from time to time, I think he likes that.  Anyone can do this on the Australian Aged Pension (AAP) if they want to.  if you don't drink or smoke to much or chase to many women it's all quite simple.  Hmmm women are OK in moderation?

Horses for courses. Me,I would rather be dead than live that like, if you can call it that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

It nearly borders on delusional or insanity.

Most people might make these sort these comment when they turn 50 y/o They say "I don't care if I'm dead when I'm 70 y/o bla, bla, bla.". They nearly all change their minds when they reach 69 y/o.  If you lack that quality to strive to achieve self preservation. That's called insanity.  That is one of the most common terms used by investigators when people take their own lives.  I'm 76, life is a bit slower now but it's also great.  I'm getting ready for my telegram from the Queen or maybe the King of England.  Only 24 years to go.  My mum used to say "Aim for the stars and be thankful if you hit the treetops"

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

I guess if you are still wanted in OZ you will have to decide if you can still

afford LOS, or head for one of those other nearly paradise places, at least

OZ is not Canada, and your Winters are only rainy. Oops am I assuming again?

Geezer

Afford LOS?

Are you kidding me?

How about being  a citizen-with all the privileges that that entails?

Oh wait..forget about getting anything back...just keep pouring the money in..she'll be right...gawd..

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

How about being  a citizen-with all the privileges that that entails?

About the only thing I miss is Medicare. If I had that here in Thailand, this place for me would be bliss and I would have nothing to worry about. Our Medicare is pretty good at home and cheap medicines for many, are that tipping point to go home. After 75, I do not know what I am going to do as insurance just stops. Just hope I have several hundred thousands of dollars left so I can at least die in peace without my wife having to worry about the bill or go home to die. Yes, it is a hard choice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

About the only thing I miss is Medicare. If I had that here in Thailand, this place for me would be bliss and I would have nothing to worry about. Our Medicare is pretty good at home and cheap medicines for many, are that tipping point to go home. After 75, I do not know what I am going to do as insurance just stops. Just hope I have several hundred thousands of dollars left so I can at least die in peace without my wife having to worry about the bill or go home to die. Yes, it is a hard choice. 

Nice speaking to you..

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess..

Are you a citizen in your own country?

Because..let's face it..the vast majority of "farangs" are not citizens..in Thailand...

IF YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN You ARE  NOTHING.

Edited by Odysseus123

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Because..let's face it..the vast majority of "farangs" are not citizens..in Thailand...

Your only a 'person' here if you got money. If you ain't got that, even the poorest of the poor won't have you.

I remember a quote a from an older bar girl back in 1985. I was pretty much a younging at the time, just come from Bali and the Philippines and it was my first trip here. She spoke Thai to her friends (someone translated for this for me later as everyone laughed so much over it)... 'Come back when you 60, so you can afford me then''... yep, it all comes down to money and Thailand for me then was sorted out in one sentence. I came back often (between the Philippines, Japan, and Thailand) and just never took the girls seriously after that. I got married at 46 to a Thai but it took a long time just to find someone that cared for me. Of course, it comes down to money with just about any relationship but you are right in the sense, Thailand gives me no hope to grow my roots here with a guarantee.  I will never get PR as I cannot work, yet I help support my family, I am law-abiding, yet it will always been seen as nothing. If my wife dies before me, I will lose just about all we have gained and I would have nothing certain in my life. I will never say no to not going home to Australia. Hell, I might bring my wife home to Aussie after her parents die. I really cannot say, but my eyes are not fully closed to any avenue yet. For a farang supporting and being also supported by a wife here, some form of certainty would be a benefit but it will never happen. 

32 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nice speaking to you..

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess..

Are you a citizen in your own country?

What can a citizen in Thailand do that I can't?  1.  I have much better insurance {military}.  2. I don't pay income tax.  3,  Visa takes 10 minutes a year.  90 day reports are done for me.  More accurately if you have citizenship but no money you're SOL.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Your only a 'person' here if you got money. If you ain't got that, even the poorest of the poor won't have you.

I remember a quote a from an older bar girl back in 1985. I was pretty much a younging at the time, just come from Bali and the Philippines and it was my first trip here. She spoke Thai to her friends (someone translated for this for me later as everyone laughed so much over it)... 'Come back when you 60, so you can afford me then''... yep, it all comes down to money and Thailand for me then was sorted out in one sentence. I came back often (between the Philippines, Japan, and Thailand) and just never took the girls seriously after that. I got married at 46 to a Thai but it took a long time just to find someone that cared for me. Of course, it comes down to money with just about any relationship but you are right in the sense, Thailand gives me no hope to grow my roots here with a guarantee.  I will never get PR as I cannot work, yet I help support my family, I am law-abiding, yet it will always been seen as nothing. If my wife dies before me, I will lose just about all we have gained and I would have nothing certain in my life. I will never say no to not going home to Australia. Hell, I might bring my wife home to Aussie after her parents die. I really cannot say, but my eyes are not fully closed to any avenue yet. For a farang supporting and being also supported by a wife here, some form of certainty would be a benefit but it will never happen. 

A good post-as always coming from you.

But..you are not a citizen are you?And neither is about 99.3 of the other posters...

Gotta be crazy..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Gotta be crazy..

lol... I have bipolar disorder and have got the paper for it... lol!... so I gather I am... I will never be a citizen but at this stage of my life, my wife and her very elderly parents come first. After they (the parents) fall off the perch, it could all change.

Just now, totally thaied up said:

lol... I have bipolar disorder and have got the paper for it... lol!... so I gather I am... I will never be a citizen but at this stage of my life, my wife and her very elderly parents come first. After they (the parents) fall off the perch, it could all change.

Goodness...I did not really mean it.

Keep on truckin' my friend-you are an excellent poster.

My MiL-tough old bird and I love her dearly..ha..ha..

DSCN9611.JPG

• Like 1

So you were surprised when you found out a prostitute wanted money?

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So you were surprised when you found out a prostitute wanted money?

No, I had encountered them earlier during my trip to the Philippines. It was not the first time I was offered or the last. I mean, some things do stay the same in Thailand apart from price. That was a lifetime ago but I will admit, it changed my perspective on a lot of things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Very honorable to think about your wife and her parents first.

So many could never do that.

23 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

No, I had encountered them earlier during my trip to the Philippines. It was not the first time I was offered or the last. I mean, some things do stay the same in Thailand apart from price. That was a lifetime ago but I will admit, it changed my perspective on a lot of things.

I suppose I could be accused of being a real cretin for a while.  If a woman does not have the ability to provide support love and excitement for a any man in her life she does not have much going for her. That is her greatest asset.  Some can make a few bucks selling fantasies, most enjoy and provide these essentials for men and join in, most are pretty good at it.  A few haven't got a clue  That's the way it has been since time began...you remember Adam and Eve.