Elon Musk 'to be sued in Thailand, London and US’ by cave diver he called 'paedo' in baseless remark

webfact

On 9/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, keith101 said:

Me thinks he protests too muuuch and trying to sue him in 3 different countries is ridiculous . The US is the best option not only because thats where Musk lives but if found guilty the payout would be enormous .

But then he probably knows that if you have enough money you can get away with double murder and pedophilia in the USA. Neither OJ or MJ were convicted but who believes they were innocent?

He's just being smart with backups.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:00 PM, colinneil said:

Nonsense, my own daughter called me that when i told her i was marrying a lady 20 years younger than me.

Did i care, no i didnt it is just words, words cannot hurt you unless you are a 21st century snowflake who gets offended just by a few words.

I have to disagree with you on this one Colin. When I was teaching my ex DIL tried to convince my son that I had visited her 11year old daughter (from a previous marriage) on my way to bed after a late night drinking session. I would have had to pass by my own bedroom with the door open and my wife awake, so my wife knew it was a false accusation.  My wife asked the girl if she had told her mother I had done this which the girl denied. A rumour like that could have had me banned from teaching for life if it got back to the relevant authority.  The point is that accusations like that can have a devastating effect on some people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ttrd said:

Can a cheque get Vernon to stop relate the sub marine to bum's...??...

Vernon mentioned it once in an interview, and if the interview is repeated, it doesn't mean that Vernon has repeated the request.

However,  Musk is the one who makes a baseless accusation, then apologises for it, and then makes further baseless accusations, so he is the one that should have by now made out at least 2 cheques!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 3:17 PM, colinneil said:

Vern Unsworth started this nonsense, now he is going overboard suing Musk in 3 countries.

You need to be very careful maybe it will come back and bite you in the backside.

They were both wrong, both made stupid remarks, and why is Vern buggering up his life with this nonsense, live and let live, move on enjoy whats left of your life.

Exactly. You be spot on...Furthermore Musk has a endless supply of money and he not make them accusations with out knowing much more than we do...Think Brit will get Humiliated  in the end ...and flat Broke

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

Vernon mentioned it once in an interview, and if the interview is repeated, it doesn't mean that Vernon has repeated the request.

However,  Musk is the one who makes a baseless accusation, then apologises for it, and then makes further baseless accusations, so he is the one that should have by now made out at least 2 cheques!

Musk has a endless supply of money and he not make them accusations with out knowing much more than we do...Think Brit will get Humiliated  in the end ...and flat Broke

17 minutes ago, sambum said:

We dont know how many times Vernon has repeated it off the record...

What we know is that Musk has repeated and even extended it off the record and due to misconception of reporting practices it has been published - that fact make this statement (baseless or not) completely useless in any legal matters Vernon think he has against Musk, but it may be useful for Musk in an potential case against the journalist and/or his contracting entity if he bother to make a case out of it….:whistling:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/09/elon-musk-buzzfeed-off-the-record-vernon-unsworth/569437/

There were plenty of comments published on here (TV) about how useless EM's sub would have been and what he should do with it.... but fortunately since it appears EM doesn't read this website, he never bothered to accuse those poster of being pedo's and child rapists.  I realise that we're (mostly) totally anonymous posters, but I'm sure many would be appalled to be accused as such...especially if such accusations could affect one's jobs (teachers), ability to rent a place to stay, or even encourage the BiB to pay closer attention....

As some one mentioned a few post above, EM made the original uncorroborated accusations, then a worthless apology (and not even to VU), but then made further uncorroborated accusations, including the "off the record" comment and the "bring it on".  He's a FN.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ttrd said:

We dont know how many times Vernon has repeated it off the record...

What we know is that Musk has repeated and even extended it off the record and due to misconception of reporting practices it has been published - that fact make this statement (baseless or not) completely useless in any legal matters Vernon think he has against Musk, but it may be useful for Musk in an potential case against the journalist and/or his contracting entity if he bother to make a case out of it….:whistling:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/09/elon-musk-buzzfeed-off-the-record-vernon-unsworth/569437/

“I didn’t agree for the conversation to be off the record, but appreciate the response.”

It appears from the above article, and other documentation on the subject, that "off the record" has to be agreed to by both parties. In this case Musk obviously didn't engage his brain (something he seems to be recently doing more and more frequently!) before sending an "off the record" email"! 

14 hours ago, yrag said:

Musk has a endless supply of money and he not make them accusations with out knowing much more than we do...Think Brit will get Humiliated  in the end ...and flat Broke

I disagree - I think Musk "make them accusations" out of anger and not fact. He's already had to apologise once, and his "12 year old bride" comment deserves another one, as does the "child rapist" comment. He may have limitless amounts of cash, but in some countries that holds more sway than others, and I am sure that Princess Anne and the Red Bull heir could both bear testimony to that! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

I disagree - I think Musk "make them accusations" out of anger and not fact. He's already had to apologise once, and his "12 year old bride" comment deserves another one, as does the "child rapist" comment. He may have limitless amounts of cash, but in some countries that holds more sway than others, and I am sure that Princess Anne and the Red Bull heir could both bear testimony to that! 

We can assume it is a diagnosis (Bi-Polar and/or MDD) that have been talking and if so it can in a way be excused - what excuse the other part has (if any) should be focused on especially since he throwed the first punch despite that it appears that some of us want to ignore that fact…. 

Edited by ttrd

2 minutes ago, ttrd said:

We can assume it is a diagnosis (bipolar and/or MDD) that have been talking and if so it can in a way be excused - what excuse the other part has (if any) should be focused on especially since he throwed the first punch even it appears that many of us want to ignore that fact…. 

Ah, so now Musk made these accusations because he is "sick" and needs help, and wasn't responsible for all the nasty things he said? 

40 minutes ago, sambum said:

“I didn’t agree for the conversation to be off the record, but appreciate the response.”

It appears from the above article, and other documentation on the subject, that "off the record" has to be agreed to by both parties. In this case Musk obviously didn't engage his brain (something he seems to be recently doing more and more frequently!) before sending an "off the record" email"! 

We can agree on that it should have been a sort of agreement, but let us say the email was sent with the subject to such an agreement since it clearly was mentioned then this email doesnt exist if the other party wouldnt agree….

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

Ah, so now Musk made these accusations because he is "sick" and needs help, and wasn't responsible for all the nasty things he said? 

I didnt say he is sick as I do not have the basis to to do so, but he might be as the history tells us that the most of the very few people that really have done something for this planet that benefit all of us actually have had a disorder...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12500/11-historical-geniuses-and-their-possible-mental-disorders

Edited by ttrd

8 minutes ago, ttrd said:

We can agree on that it should have been a sort of agreement, but let us say the email was sent with the subject to such an agreement since it clearly was mentioned then this email doesnt exist if the other party wouldnt agree….

Phwoar! ? ....

6 minutes ago, ttrd said:

I didnt say he is sick as I do not have the basis to to do so, but he might be as the history tells us that the most of the very few people that really have done something for this planet that benefit all of us actually have had a disorder...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12500/11-historical-geniuses-and-their-possible-mental-disorders

7 minutes ago, ttrd said:

"I didnt say he is sick as I do not have the basis to to do so, but he might be"

"We can assume it is a diagnosis (bipolar and/or MDD) that have been talking and if so it can in a way be excused "

OK you didn't actually SAY he was sick, but you assumed the diagnosis - and I hope  you don't include me in the "we can assume ...." statement.

However, to be honest, this kind of rhetoric reminds me of those liberal do gooders who protect the criminal rather than the victim. For example, in the UK, if a drug addict breaks into someone's house, beats up the owner, and then  takes off with the silverware, "it's not their fault, they need help", "and so in a way can be excused". And if the householder should manage to clobber them first - he gets prosecuted  for assault! 

However, that is going a bit off topic, and to get back to your original point, if he is indeed "bi polar" or whatever you care to call it, he should "shut up" and not make statements to the Press or media, because it would appear that any such statements are not to be believed - because he is "bi polar" !

39 minutes ago, sambum said:

Phwoar! ? ....

Some have at least  the ability to show a surtain degree of politness despite this is a anonymous forum and some dont....

15 minutes ago, sambum said:

"I didnt say he is sick as I do not have the basis to to do so, but he might be"

"We can assume it is a diagnosis (bipolar and/or MDD) that have been talking and if so it can in a way be excused "

OK you didn't actually SAY he was sick, but you assumed the diagnosis - and I hope  you don't include me in the "we can assume ...." statement.

However, to be honest, this kind of rhetoric reminds me of those liberal do gooders who protect the criminal rather than the victim. For example, in the UK, if a drug addict breaks into someone's house, beats up the owner, and then  takes off with the silverware, "it's not their fault, they need help", "and so in a way can be excused". And if the householder should manage to clobber them first - he gets prosecuted  for assault! 

However, that is going a bit off topic, and to get back to your original point, if he is indeed "bi polar" or whatever you care to call it, he should "shut up" and not make statements to the Press or media, because it would appear that any such statements are not to be believed - because he is "bi polar" !

In any event, we can agree that we disagree - at least about this topic...:wai:

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

Depends on whether you are one or not!

Yes, I tend to agree. 

Have a punt in court or just forget it.

I'd be less than pleased if someone called me lazy, or dead even. So I can see the other side of the fence; unless I was brown bread of course.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Some have at least  the ability to show a surtain degree of politness despite this is a anonymous forum and some dont....

And some have the ability to have a surtain (certain?) level of tolerance to comments that are made tongue in cheek about the unnecessary complication of the comment! Politness (Politeness?) or lack of it was not intended - "Phwoar!" is just another way of saying "Wow!" 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

And some have the ability to have a surtain (certain?) level of tolerance to comments that are made tongue in cheek about the unnecessary complication of the comment! 

Dear Sambum, if you accidentally made a minor spelling error in for example Norwegian which is my mother tongue I would never had thrown it back to you in a negative setting - but that's me...:wai:

Good on Vernon - he acted in the correct way first rose above it and ignored the slur - then when Musk persisted takes him all the way...

We should realize that baselessly accusing a Western man who happens to reside in Thailand of being a "Pedo" is a slur on ALL ferang here AND a slur on Thailand's reputation.

I hope the full weight of the law is brought down on the Tesla clown.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Dear Sambum, if you accidentally made a minor spelling error in for example Norwegian which is my mother tongue I would never had thrown it back to you in a negative setting - but that's me...:wai:

In that case accept my apologies - your English is that good I thought you were a native speaker - hence the comment about unnecessarily complicating your comments!:sorry: 

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

In that case accept my apologies - your English is that good I thought you were a native speaker - hence the comment about unnecessarily complicating your comments!:sorry: 

Your excuse is highly appreciated :thumbsup: Khop Khun Mak Khrap :wai:

Edited by ttrd

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Dear me! Far worse names to be called than 'paedo'.

Insults depend completely on context. A 14 year old kid calling his classmate a pedo because he fancies a girl in the year below is harmless schoolboy banter, it wouldn't even be as offensive as swearing. Or a white man using the N word to another white man would just makes him sound ridiculous. Even calling someone else a pedo while in the pub with your mates might not be serious - I could imagine Musk has already received jibes like that from his friends about his younger girlfriend.

When the accusation is levelled at an older man living in Thailand however (or someone such as a school teacher who's professional reputation could be ruined) it's probably the worst possible thing that they could be called. And bear in mind that this happened in the public arena, was tweeted to 22 million followers, and has subsequently been widely reported (with incredulity) in all the newspapers. Due to Musk's eccentric celebrity status, the media has lapped up the story, and the whole thing has been presented from the point of view that Musk seems to be losing his marbles. It seems that most of public opinion sees it as right and proper for Unsworth to sue in these circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

No worries my man, I am a Brit but never took school to seriously, I did notice the first one but not the second

You have nothing to worry about