Bringing food into thailand

Nathan1234

Family use to mail me smoked salmon every xmas with out a problem. A friend of mine packed a whole frozen 3kg salmon in his suit case no problems. I often bring frozen steak. Never over 3 or 4kg at a time. Go for it. But doesn't cod smell a bit? 

A travel agent has recently told me that if I get caught bringing a small amount of battered cod and some peas into Thailand I will face a heavy fine and get my passport taken off me. This is not true right? 

Like everything in life sacrifices have to be made to gain happiness, Thailand is no exception .

I should go with haddock and baked beans and be satisfied, you will have no problems .

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

I really doubt they care for your fish or peas ?

Afaik they only care about alcohol (max 1L per person), cigarettes (don't know what the limit is) and illegal things

It is now illegal to bring many food products into Thailand.  Sorry I don't know specifics.

Only yesterday an announcement to remind not allowed to bring pork meat into LOS from other countries and announcement of more screening to look for pork meat and live pigs coming in. 

If its battered it is most unlikely to be raw so it is an interesting question.

Carrying small amounts of cooked and or processed foods into most any country is generally legal.

Bringing raw foods into most any county is generally not legal.

Importing (not hand carried) any kind of food (cooked, processed or otherwise) requires a special license.

What people do without being caught is of no real significance.

Bring food in, yes illegal.

Passport taken off you. No. Thai or any authorities cannot 'take your passport off you'. 

But there are offences which could result in you being banned from entry and that would very probably mean an entry written into your passport saying you are banned from entry into Thailand from date to date. Usually it does not mention why you have been banned.

Some other countries, when they see this written in your passport might hesitate to let you enter their country; a). Because of the simple fact you been officially banned by another country. b) The hesitation might also be because the other country doesn't know why, and they would wonder if it's a serious offence or wonder if it means you are socially an undesirable person. 

Caught bringing food into Thailand (raw or processed) without a license is not likely to bring a ban (but no guarantee on this), but it would probably bring a fine. How big is the fine? Depends on what specific regulations have been broken / what type of food / whether it's a food item known to carry specific diseases dangerous to human beings, etc.

Up to you.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

It is now illegal to bring many food products into Thailand.  Sorry I don't know specifics.

Only yesterday an announcement to remind not allowed to bring pork meat into LOS from other countries and announcement of more screening to look for pork meat and live pigs coming in. 

Would have to be a small pig to fit in your suitcase pretty cheap to buy here

15 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

This has got to be a troll post. Evidence: 1) this is the guy's first post 2) why would you bring food into the best food country in the world?

Evidence??? 1) are you saying all first posts troll posts? and 2) many people do not believe this is the best food in the world