Parmesan Cheese? I don't think so.

giddyup

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know that rule is the same in the EU also. In fact the Thai label seems to go a step further by indicating that the largest ingredient accounts for 63.7% of the whole.

I actually think that is a fairly low percentage (63.7%) of parmesan cheese but way more than 1%. 555

I bought another American brand of grated parmesan at Makro and noted the inclusion of powdered cellulose to prevent clumping, as they say. I would expect a product like this to be greater than 90% cheese.

Currently, I have been grating  blocks of Grand Padano Parmesan, but for ease of use I have no problem using pre-grated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I actually think that is a fairly low percentage (63.7%) of parmesan cheese but way more than 1%. 555

I bought another American brand of grated parmesan at Makro and noted the inclusion of powdered cellulose to prevent clumping, as they say. I would expect a product like this to be greater than 90% cheese.

Currently, I have been grating  blocks of Grand Padano Parmesan, but for ease of use I have no problem using pre-grated.

It's Grana Padano. It is not Parmesan(Parmigano Reggiano). Some people just don't care. ?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know that rule is the same in the EU also. In fact the Thai label seems to go a step further by indicating that the largest ingredient accounts for 63.7% of the whole.

According to my Thai partner the 63.7% is listed as "pasteurised milk"

27 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Again, according to her (my partner) 63.7% is "pasteurised milk".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobbin said:

oh oh.. it absolutely is parmesan but not Reggiano.. maybe the next valley over.

This is that regional label business, as if a product can not be produced elsewhere.

But I know what you meant.  ?

No. It absolutely is not.

Cheese.JPG.084c20d44965d5b325e2aa94aa7268c2.JPG

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

No. It absolutely is not.

Cheese.JPG.084c20d44965d5b325e2aa94aa7268c2.JPG

ok..you want to throw down on this?

Tell every producer outside of that small area that they aren't making parmesan.

And do it without resorting to that EU  regional trademark bs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobbin said:

ok..you want to throw down on this?

Tell every producer outside of that small area that they aren't making parmesan.

And do it without resorting to that EU  regional trademark bs.

Did you not note the differences in production, regardless of the name? I guess you would just prefer to argue, rather than looking at the facts.

I'm guessing that you are from the USA.... and haven't got a clue. A lot of crap food there and they want to send it over to Europe and the UK. No thanks.

Yes, we have standards in Europe; https://www.granapadano.it/en-us/grana-padano-and-parmigiano-reggiano-particular-aspects-and-specifications-v1.aspx

Edited by KneeDeep

17 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Hold on.. you are  asking a Thai about parmesan cheese? 555

What do you think cheese is made of?

Pasteurised milk comes in bottles (or cartons) as well, it doesn't specify Parmesan cheese. Could be just powdered milk as far as I, or anybody else knows.

Edited by giddyup

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

"Redwood Farm"

I doubt it's been anywhere near a farm either.

Good stuff and cheap.  I tried some.  Makro also sells block and wedge Parmeson.  I have some now and I grind it up in my food processor as I need it.  The expensive stuff smells more like old Pattaya underwear but that has an attraction too.  They have the wedges at Foodland. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It's Australian.  Good stuff and cheap.  I tried some.  Makro also sells block and wedge Parmeson.  I have some now and I grind it up in my food processor as I need it.  The expensive stuff smells more like old Pattaya underwear but that has an attraction too.  They have the wedges at Foodland. 

Are you still talking about the "Parmesan" I pictured? Because Redwood Farm comes from the US.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Sorry I read their website incorrectly it was not Australia but Wisconsin. If I'm reading it right this time.  Anyway, I liked the flavor of the stuff.

Are you now talking about the grated stuff I pictured? Because, personally, it doesn't bear any resemblance to real Parmesan, in look or taste. If I was back home I'd be returning it for a refund.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Are you now talking about the grated stuff I pictured? Because, personally, it doesn't bear any resemblance to real Parmesan, in look or taste. If I was back home I'd be returning it for a refund.

I have real Parmesan in a jar that I grate.  It is whiter and has a more stinky smell (Thai description).  The Redwood stuff is a finer grind than I use and more of a yellow color.  I think Makro sells Stella.  Not sure.  Foodland has the Parmesan wedge from Italy.

stella.JPG

• Like 1

I am just getting all cheesed off by these pointless arguments which have  already passed you and my eyes and that just grate against the  toasting  under the grilling you lot are giving it.

I am Pasta any more Puns tonight!?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

It is a US made item and by law is as described (cheese is main ingredient).

On the container it only specifies "pasteurised milk" as being the main ingredient, not Parmesan cheese. Why not?