Parmesan Cheese? I don't think so.

giddyup

7 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I've also ate American 'Parmesan'. I posted about it earlier in the thread. Perhaps you missed that in your hurry to cut and paste.

It wasn't right at all. It probably wasn't the Reserve cheese you mention. But it was expensive and was not of the standard required.

So if you want to stand by your conviction that the cheeses are the same, bring the cheese with you and I'll bring mine. OK?

We can also check the provenance of the cheeses if you like. If hormones and antibiotics are used etc

So thank you, but no more cut and paste needed.

Bring the cheese if you can get it. If not, enjoy what you enjoy and I'll enjoy what I enjoy.

Good day to you.

I'll repeat it.  You can't compare cheap low quality American Parmesan cheese with high quality American Parmesan cheese.  It would be like me owning a lemon VW and saying that Mercedes are no good.  Do you get that not all cheese is created equal?  More than 2 and one half billion pounds of cheese is produced in Wisconsin (one State) every year.  Why not write to the judges at a UK cheese competition (Global cheese awards) and ask them about American cheese?

LargestCheeseProducers_2016.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, bobbin said:

oh oh.. it absolutely is parmesan but not Reggiano.. maybe the next valley over.

This is that regional label business, as if a product can not be produced elsewhere.

But I know what you meant.  ?

I guess you are saying Tennessee Whisky can be made elsewhere but still sold under that name ?

2 minutes ago, manarak said:

I guess you are saying Tennessee Whisky can be made elsewhere but still sold under that name ?

I would imagine it depends on the laws in the place it is produced.  For example it is legal to call many cheeses Parmesan in the US but not in Italy.  In America one can't legally call Jack Danial's Bourbon although the ingredients are the same as most bourbons

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'll repeat it.  You can't compare cheap low quality American Parmesan cheese with high quality American Parmesan cheese.  It would be like me owning a lemon VW and saying that Mercedes are no good.  Do you get that not all cheese is created equal?  More than 2 and one half billion pounds of cheese is produced in Wisconsin (one State) every year.  Why not write to the judges at a UK cheese competition (Global cheese awards) and ask them about American cheese?

LargestCheeseProducers_2016.jpg

Sorry, but no longer interested in your cut and paste.

Don't you understand that you are undermining your own point?

That you are highlighting a single product(a copy of Parmigiano Reggiano) that is the best of what is produced in the USA.

So what about the rest?

I'm just referring to standard products in the UK and Europe.

So it illustrates that you copy European products and that the best of the best is still, even in your own words, on a par with a standard product in Europe.

I might not agree that it is on par, but you are simply making my point. That a lot of what is produced in the USA is crap.

Can you believe that Kraft lobbied and succeeded in getting your government to reduce their maturing time to six months from ten?

Lower standards.

So if you have confidence in that industry, put your money where your mouth is and buy American cheese exclusively.

What? Sorry? You don't eat that crap either? ?

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I would imagine it depends on the laws in the place it is produced.  For example it is legal to call many cheeses Parmesan in the US but not in Italy.  In America one can't legally call Jack Danial's Bourbon although the ingredients are the same as most bourbons

Jack Daniel's is a trademark, so there is no comparison possible there.

And regarding the laws in the place where it is produced - which laws are you talking about? the laws in the original place or the laws in the place where the product with parasitic tradename is produced?

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Standards my friend....standards.

My friend worked in a cheese-packing factory for years...he told me to never buy any grounded cheese which was packed cause that comes from sweeping the floor...they have to collect all the droppings for that...

And every week they also throw rat poison on the floor to keep them at bay......

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Standards my friend....standards.

Nothing to do with standards.  Standards are minimums.  Do you know the standards of quality American Parmesan cheese are far superior to those produced in most parts of Europe?  Does the UK allow sugar in beer?  Does Germany?  Is it legal to call any cheese Parmigiano-Reggiano in Denmark?  America?  Cheese is food and food needs to be tasted to determine if one likes it.  I may not like New Zealand but I like their cheese.  Your lack of experience with fine American cheese is not made up for by your lack of knowledge about cheese production.  Cheese made in America is not automatically inferior to cheese made in Italy.  You have to taste it.  You would not be able to tell the difference.  The difference between cheap cheese and expensive cheese sure but not the difference between expensive cheeses. 

• Like 2

Just now, KneeDeep said:

We can buy everything and more in the UK(apart from American crap that is banned in Europe). Have you ever been to the U.K?

You seem to think that you are an authority on smaller countries. You are just making it up as you go along. A broken watch is right at least twice a day. But you keep moving the goalposts, so you fail even that lowly test.

Yes sir I have been to England.  Nice supermarkets. Many imported goods from France and Italy. Good shopping. So why be argumentative,  we are just trying to have a reasonable conversation here.  But you seem to just want to insult.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

My friend worked in a cheese-packing factory for years...he told me to never buy any grounded cheese which was packed cause that comes from sweeping the floor...they have to collect all the droppings for that...

And every week they also throw rat poison on the floor to keep them at bay......

Since the wood pulp scandal I doubt if there is any Parmesan in the US that is contaminated after all anyone can call a health inspector.  Big food production companies have to keep government health inspectors on staff and pay their wages.  But I do grind my own hard cheese and sausage and make my own meatballs and hamburgers because mine tastes better. 

• Like 1

Just now, KneeDeep said:

Sorry, but no longer interested in your cut and paste.

Don't you understand that you are undermining your own point?

That you are highlighting a single product(a copy of Parmigiano Reggiano) that is the best of what is produced in the USA.

So what about the rest?

I'm just referring to standard products in the UK and Europe.

So it illustrates that you copy European products and that the best of the best is still, even in your own words, on a par with a standard product in Europe.

I might not agree that it is on par, but you are simply making my point. That a lot of what is produced in the USA is crap.

Can you believe that Kraft lobbied and succeeded in getting your government to reduce their maturing time to six months from ten?

Lower standards.

So if you have confidence in that industry, put your money where your mouth is and buy American cheese exclusively.

What? Sorry? You don't eat that crap either? ?

But I live in Thailand and find that many Thai people prefer that American Kraft Crap Cheese as you call it to real Parmigiano, Feta etc.  Like I said in a previous post you can buy really good American made cheese (Sonoma county has some fine cheese makers), imported cheese, or what you consider carp cheese.  Up to your wallet and taste. Not unlike in the UK.  Never looked for Kraft when I was there but I am sure its on the shelves.

12 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

But I live in Thailand and find that many Thai people prefer that American Kraft Crap Cheese as you call it to real Parmigiano, Feta etc.  Like I said in a previous post you can buy really good American made cheese (Sonoma county has some fine cheese makers), imported cheese, or what you consider carp cheese.  Up to your wallet and taste. Not unlike in the UK.  Never looked for Kraft when I was there but I am sure its on the shelves.

The majority of Thais that I know put ketchup on Pizza so that rather defeats the purpose of putting any decent Parmesan cheese on first. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

The majority of Thais that I know put ketchup on Pizza so that rather defeats the purpose of putting any decent Parmesan cheese on first. 

That is so true, I just shake my head.  But who am I to talk I put chili flakes on my pizza not grated cheese.  For me I do not care if I use grated Parmigiano, Romano, or Grana Padano on my pasta, they will all do the trick.  I like to cut a chunk of Parmigiano and eat it with a slice of good bread as a snack.  Have been doing that all my life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, manarak said:

Jack Daniel's is a trademark, so there is no comparison possible there.

And regarding the laws in the place where it is produced - which laws are you talking about? the laws in the original place or the laws in the place where the product with parasitic tradename is produced?

Nothing to do with that.  Many years ago, the company took steps to prevent the Federal government from forcing them to call their whiskey ‘bourbon.’ That is why some people insist that Jack Daniel’s is bourbon, because it meets every legal requirement. ‘Bourbon in all but name’ is another way of saying it.

The whole story.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/

American generic parmesan cheese is a family of hard grating cheeses made from cow's milk and inspired by the original Italian cheese. They are generally pale yellow in color, and usually used grated on dishes like spaghetti, Caesar salad, and pizza. American generic parmesan is frequently sold already grated.

Within the European Union, the term Parmesan may only be used, by law, to refer to Parmigiano-Reggiano itself, which must be made in a restricted geographic area, using stringently defined methods.

In many areas outside Europe, the name "Parmesan" has become genericized, and may denote any of a number of hard Italian-style grating cheeses, often commercialized under names intended to evoke the original: Parmesan, Parmigiana, Parmesana, Parmabon, Real Parma, Parmezan, Parmezano.  Generic parmesans may be legally defined in various jurisdictions. In the United States, the Code of Federal Regulations includes a Standard of Identity for "Parmesan and reggiano cheese".

Edited by marcusarelus

On 9/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, marcusarelus said:

Nothing to do with standards.  Standards are minimums.  Do you know the standards of quality American Parmesan cheese are far superior to those produced in most parts of Europe?  Does the UK allow sugar in beer?  Does Germany?  Is it legal to call any cheese Parmigiano-Reggiano in Denmark?  America?  Cheese is food and food needs to be tasted to determine if one likes it.  I may not like New Zealand but I like their cheese.  Your lack of experience with fine American cheese is not made up for by your lack of knowledge about cheese production.  Cheese made in America is not automatically inferior to cheese made in Italy.  You have to taste it.  You would not be able to tell the difference.  The difference between cheap cheese and expensive cheese sure but not the difference between expensive cheeses. 

Please state the source of the data behind your statement that I have placed in bold type. Otherwise it's just more blah blah blah from you.

Bring the cheese to the table. We do a tasting and check the provenance of each.

Put up or shut up. ?

10 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Please state the source of the data behind your statement that I have placed in bold type. Otherwise it's just more blah blah blah from you.

Bring the cheese to the table. We do a tasting and check the provenance of each.

Put up or shut up. ?

Check out the Global Cheese Awards (it may be the worlds oldest cheese show?) Cheese Pavilion at the West Woodlands Showground, Near Frome, Somerset. It's highlighted as one of the Times “Best Places to Live in Britain" and a proper cheese contest takes place there.  ( One of the oldest, most respected industry events in the country; celebrating producers & retailers of all sizes from across the globe )

SarVecchio® Parmesan Best USA Cheese & Gold Medal,  SarVecchio® Parmesan Silver Medal, SarVecchio® Parmesan Gold Medal, SarVecchio® Parmesan Bronze Medal.

https://globalcheeseawards.com/

But maybe you can't trust those folks from the UK?  I don't know.  Do they know anything about cheese? 

Edited by marcusarelus

Rubbish and fake news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, KneeDeep said:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised. There are always going to be people who care about quality. 

But to suggest that Wisconsin is in any position to run a World Cheese Championship is patently ridiculous and for someone to use it to prop up their argument even more so.

Again, uninformed. Madison, Wisconsin, hosts the World Dairy Expo annually. Milk and cheese producers fly in from all over the world for it, many bringing cattle with them.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Check out the Global Cheese Awards (it may be the worlds oldest cheese show?) Cheese Pavilion at the West Woodlands Showground, Near Frome, Somerset. It's highlighted as one of the Times “Best Places to Live in Britain" and a proper cheese contest takes place there.  ( One of the oldest, most respected industry events in the country; celebrating producers & retailers of all sizes from across the globe )

SarVecchio® Parmesan Best USA Cheese & Gold Medal,  SarVecchio® Parmesan Silver Medal, SarVecchio® Parmesan Gold Medal, SarVecchio® Parmesan Bronze Medal.

https://globalcheeseawards.com/

But maybe you can't trust those folks from the UK?  I don't know.  Do they know anything about cheese? 

I'll humour you for the last time....even though most of your post is nonsensical fluff.

Yes...I checked it out previously. Best USA Cheese and Best Healthy Cheese?What is that??!! ?

Seriously...stop embarrassing yourself with your selective 'cutting & pasting'.

It is certified as such because it probably one of the few cheeses in that country that is certified free of hormones.

As I've reiterated many times before, it's not all crap there. But it is just a copy of a European cheese.

Your pathetic statements of the USA having higher food standards have borne no fruit. Instead you try to misdirect.

Just give it up. You don't even eat cheese from the USA. ?

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Again, uninformed. Madison, Wisconsin, hosts the World Dairy Expo annually. Milk and cheese producers fly in from all over the world for it, many bringing cattle with them.

You believe whatever you want to believe.

Meanwhile I'll be eating European cheese thanks.

I never hear anyone requesting American cheeses on this forum or anywhere else.

Do you? Because it's usually either a copy of the good stuff or sh*t.

• Like 1

Too much fake food products sold in super markets , that I easily avoid. I try to eat as much raw food , not processed as possible.
But I do buy Gouda cheese imported from Holland. It's 400 baht for a kilo so not cheap. But I make a perfect cheese sandwich out of it, on rye bread with tomatos, cucumber, pepper, all good.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I'll humour you for the last time....even though most of your post is nonsensical fluff.

Yes...I checked it out previously. Best USA Cheese and Best Healthy Cheese?What is that??!! ?

Seriously...stop embarrassing yourself with your selective 'cutting & pasting'.

It is certified as such because it probably one of the few cheeses in that country that is certified free of hormones.

As I've reiterated many times before, it's not all crap there. But it is just a copy of a European cheese.

Your pathetic statements of the USA having higher food standards have borne no fruit. Instead you try to misdirect.

Just give it up. You don't even eat cheese from the USA. ?

Global Cheese Awards UK awards won by American company we have been talking about.https://globalcheeseawards.com/

One of the oldest, most respected industry events in the country; celebrating producers & retailers of all sizes from across the globe

SarVecchio® Parmesan Best USA Cheese & Gold Medal

Parmesan Gold Medal

BellaVitano® Gold Gold Medal

Balsamic Bellavitano® Silver Medal

Chipotle BellaVitano® Silver Medal

Cognac BellaVitano® Bronze Medal

Asiago Bronze Medal

Pastorale Blend® Bronze Medal

https://gff.co.uk/awards/world-cheese-awards/

Bergen Norway

Awards won by the same company.

World Cheese Awards

Black Pepper BellaVitano® Gold Medal

Balsamic Bellavitano® Silver Medal

Merlot BellaVitano® Silver Medal

Cognac BellaVitano® Silver Medal

Pastorale Blend® Silver Medal

BellaVitano® Gold Bronze Medal

Asiago Bronze Medal

SarVecchio® Parmesan Bronze Medal

Not my fault if you can't read.  I said good American cheese has higher standards than many good European cheeses.  As evidenced by European awards above.

Since you have never tasted good American cheese you have no frame of reference.  So are unable to make an intelligent statement about it.  I have and they are both equivalent.  I'd buy more American cheese in Thailand if the cost of shipping was less than the European and NZ and Australian brands but it's not.  I live in Thailand not some cold water flat in London.  I eat well and don't skimp on food.  I don't drink much so I only drink the best.  I've an educated palate and know about what I speak.  I would never say a food was good or bad without sampling that food. 

I would suggest before you offer another opinion that you sample the product you are claiming tastes like fecal matter. 

Old bigots from America used to refer to Japanese motors as rice burners.  Now they make better cars than America when in the 1950's they were copies. 

I don't get your point about the copies at all.  Bottom fermented beer comes from Germany but now it is made all over the world and there is good and bad.  Top fermented beer comes from Britain and is now made all over the world and there is both good and bad.  

Henry Ford invented the assembly line.  Now they do it better in Japan. 

Being the original has nothing to do with being the best.  Britain or Rome were the original global super powers now they are average little countries.  Original has nothing to do with excellence today.     

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2