Newbie Building House on Small Plot in Bangkok

Hi All,

My wife (Thai) and I bought an old house in Bangkok last year.

Not a bad location in Bang Plad near Yan Hee Hospital.

But it's a small block only 8 metres x 16 metres and the house on it is not worth renovating.

So we aim to knock it down and rebuild, maybe 2 or 3 levels.

It's mainly for family use as we spend most of our time in Sydney currently, but it maybe end up being our retirement home in time.

Family own their house in Bang Plad,  but are on rented land.  After 50 years they are being told to move for development.  Hence the idea to buy this old house 'cheap' and rebuild.

We own a Condo in Bangkok but have never owned a house and have certainly never built one.  So please excuse this very 'Newbie' questions.  We have been researching a fair bit but are stuck on a few basics.

1. What are the 'set back' rules regarding building a house?  i.e. How close to the boundary are we allowed to build?  Obviously being a small plot we want to maximise what we can build.  We found something about 2 metres gap between house and boundary.  But the existing house only has about 1 metre.    Any advice on that?
  2. I had hoped we could find an existing design for a small plot and use the services of a one stop shop type company.  They have the design and undertake the building. We like some of the designs by AoonJai Builder www.aoonjai.com    Is using a service like this worthwhile?   I am not a builder of DIY guy and don't have the time of health to build / supervise construction, so we need someone to do it.
  3. Another option is to get a custom design from an architect and then find a builder.  Better way to go ?

Any thoughts, advice or feedback would be appreciated.   Even names of one stop companies, architects, builders etc.

We are aiming for a simple inexpensive construction, probably three levels.

Many thanks

Robo

use an off the shelf plan, build vertical with a rooftop deck, and a space or two for a car underneath.  32 WAH is a nice piece of land for BKK..wall the property and make decent buffers....roof edges to the property line are common here...but you gotta pay very careful attention to run-off and drainage.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

My wife (Thai) and I bought an old house in Bangkok last year.

Not a bad location in Bang Plad near Yan Hee Hospital.

But it's a small block only 8 metres x 16 metres and the house on it is not worth renovating.

So we aim to knock it down and rebuild, maybe 2 or 3 levels.

It's mainly for family use as we spend most of our time in Sydney currently, but it maybe end up being our retirement home in time.

Family own their house in Bang Plad,  but are on rented land.  After 50 years they are being told to move for development.  Hence the idea to buy this old house 'cheap' and rebuild.

We own a Condo in Bangkok but have never owned a house and have certainly never built one.  So please excuse this very 'Newbie' questions.  We have been researching a fair bit but are stuck on a few basics.

1. What are the 'set back' rules regarding building a house?  i.e. How close to the boundary are we allowed to build?  Obviously being a small plot we want to maximise what we can build.  We found something about 2 metres gap between house and boundary.  But the existing house only has about 1 metre.    Any advice on that?
  2. I had hoped we could find an existing design for a small plot and use the services of a one stop shop type company.  They have the design and undertake the building. We like some of the designs by AoonJai Builder www.aoonjai.com    Is using a service like this worthwhile?   I am not a builder of DIY guy and don't have the time of health to build / supervise construction, so we need someone to do it.
  3. Another option is to get a custom design from an architect and then find a builder.  Better way to go ?

Any thoughts, advice or feedback would be appreciated.   Even names of one stop companies, architects, builders etc.

We are aiming for a simple inexpensive construction, probably three levels.

Many thanks

Robo

Pm me for details of a reputable company that can advise you and organise your plans if needed as well as build the house for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the family has had land for 50 years,  I would assume they are old already and future use intended for your retirement, three levels dosnt sound ideal. Ive used plans from the local planning office on more than one occasion. Cheaper and the building permit is issued without problems, you could start there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoboLB said:

No, the existing structure is really bad.  Poorly built. Very bad condition.

The neighbours who saw it being built also advised it's not worth fixing up!   Poor foundations etc.

What about customized containers?

Google search can produce some very interesting designs which kill and notion that its' actually containers.  

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 5:49 AM, RoboLB said:

What are the 'set back' rules regarding building a house?  i.e. How close to the boundary are we allowed to build?  Obviously being a small plot we want to maximise what we can build.  We found something about 2 metres gap between house and boundary.  But the existing house only has about 1 metre.    Any advice on that?

Normally the rules are – but might be different in your area – 2 meters inside own land from public road/land, ½ meter from neighbor if no openings (windows/doors), else 1 meter from neighbor; however if neighbor accepts (agree), then ½ meter is Okay with openings.

Rules might have changed since the existing house was build; or they just did it, and paid a modest VIP-fee for approval.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:49 AM, RoboLB said:

I had hoped we could find an existing design for a small plot and use the services of a one stop shop type company.  They have the design and undertake the building. We like some of the designs by AoonJai Builder www.aoonjai.com    Is using a service like this worthwhile?

I don't know the company – just peeked in the website link you provided – but if they have a turnkey solution, it might be more convenient, when you don't supervise a construction yourself, as any problem is a contact to one supplier only. However, always worth a Google search – also in Thai language – to check for any recommendations, or the opposite.

Wish you good luck with your project...?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, baansgr said:

If the family has had land for 50 years,  I would assume they are old already and future use intended for your retirement, three levels dosnt sound ideal. Ive used plans from the local planning office on more than one occasion. Cheaper and the building permit is issued without problems, you could start there.

Good that someone has posted this.   BECAUSE,  the safest way to be sure everything goes well is to go to the local TESABAHN (city office) that issues permits to build.  As baansgr suggests,  have someone at the office draw up the plans (with your ideas)....assist with the permit and inspections.    If in a town or city this is the only way i would do it.  DO NOT take anyone elses word about setbacks, or anything else for that matter.   

As for the builder,,,,,  well, never any guarantees there.  Try to find someone you trust to recommend one

Edited by rumak

On 9/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, khunPer said:

Normally the rules are – but might be different in your area – 2 meters inside own land from public road/land, ½ meter from neighbor if no openings (windows/doors), else 1 meter from neighbor; however if neighbor accepts (agree), then ½ meter is Okay with openings.

Rules might have changed since the existing house was build; or they just did it, and paid a modest VIP-fee

you can ask a neighbor....you can ask TVisa......you can ask a lawyer.....   BUT when it comes to reality you are always

at the mercy of the relevant agency for your area/situation.   Even they can give you info that later will change.

Pay them to draw the plans !   Smiles and reassurances  have brought down many a well intentioned man

you can ask a neighbor....you can ask TVisa......you can ask a lawyer.....   BUT when it comes to reality you are always
at the mercy of the relevant agency for your area/situation.   Even they can give you info that later will change.
Pay them to draw the plans !   Smiles and reassurances  have brought down many a well intentioned man

Actually, they (in my experience) do a good job at a fair price as well.

And it nice to get everything rubber-stamped
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Actually, they (in my experience) do a good job at a fair price as well.

And it nice to get everything rubber-stamped

Yes,  that is what i definitely recommend.    Wish i had learned that long time ago,  though i never had a really big problem.   I still had to have plans to submit and get approved before i could build .  But if i did it again i would go the easiest route...and like you say they are fair about it.

Best experience i ever had was my latest (and i hope last).  3 years ago when i moved out to ban nork I went to the

tesabahn and asked if i needed permission or plans to build on my land.   They smiled and said...NOPE.  Just do it