Overstay Penalty

Most of us are entitled to a 30-day stay without a visa. What is the penalty, if any, for overstaying for a few days? Do they charge a fixed amount per day of overstay? (I may choose to overstay for a few days instead of doing a visa run.)

Hunghung

Most of us are entitled to a 30-day stay without a visa. What is the penalty, if any, for overstaying for a few days? Do they charge a fixed amount per day of overstay? (I may choose to overstay for a few days instead of doing a visa run.)

Hunghung

B500 per day

Hunghung

when you leave via airport 500 bath a day maximum 20.000 bath,if you are caught to be illegally in thailand : monkeyhouse,so up to you.

Don't plan on overstaying, you can often get an extesion of 7 days at immigration for 1900 baht, or do a border run and get another stamp.

If you DO overstay and make it to the airport, fine is 500 Baht per day to a maximum of 20,000 Baht and a nice 'overstay' stamp in your passport. If you get caught before you get to the airport expect to be arrested, locked up until they decide to process you, and then deported at your expense (if you are deported you may not be allowed to return, ever).

Up 2 you :D

EDIT forget to say :D to :o That said, deliberately overstaying is just plain STUPID!!!!

Edited by Crossy

Thank you guys! That's all I need to know.

Not quite. Nobody mentioned that the first day overstayed is free. If I needed 2 extra days, I would just overstay. The risk of getting caught is very, very small. Ask yourself, how many times have the Immigration police inspected your passport in the times you've been to Thailand.

Edited by tropo

That two days could turn into two years if they decided to throw the book at you.

The book:

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked

shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or

both.

Edited by lopburi3
add the book

Not quite. Nobody mentioned that the first day overstayed is free. If I needed 2 extra days, I would just overstay. The risk of getting caught is very, very small. Ask yourself, how many times have the Immigration police inspected your passport in the times you've been to Thailand.

Then you would get a nice overstay stamp in your passport. Do you really want to give them an excuse to turn you down any time in the future?

Hunghung

when you leave via airport 500 bath a day maximum 20.000 bath,if you are caught to be illegally in thailand : monkeyhouse,so up to you.

I have been known to have 6 or 7 showers in a day but isn't 500 baths excessive?

Edited by mr_hippo

Hunghung

I have been known to have 6 or 7 showers in a day but isn't 500 baths excessive?

If you're English that would make up for some of the missed ones I guess . . .

. . . . ok, I'll get my coat . . . everyone's a critic . . .

Then you would get a nice overstay stamp in your passport. Do you really want to give them an excuse to turn you down any time in the future?

Would it not be very very I mean very harsh if you stay overstay a couple of days and throw you into prison???

I do not think,if I am wrong correct me,that a few days like that they will inpretate that as an offence,they proberly will only prosecute anyone if their are more reasons to that,like really wanting to overstay,for instance 6 months ,something like that.Don't you think???Proberly they give you an overstay stamp,so what??When you change your passport(If you think for any problem with the stamp)there will be no stamp anymore........Sometimes I think it is just to scare us of ,but in a practical manner not in practice at all.Why,if any,they will just check any farang all the time,and that just not happens....But for sure, why want to stay overstay in the first place?No problems problems will occur when you take care of that :o .

My passport expired on Jan 22, 2007

I couldn't get to the US embassy in time because of the new years traffic. Ended up with a 6 day over stay.

Took new passport and old passport to airport - immigration put the first stamp in my new passport 6 day over stay.

Departed for Penang. Took old and new passport to consulate, received a single tourist entry.

No problems, no marks nor dirty looks. (My old passport of ten years had only one overstay stamp)

Just don't get caught before you get to the airport or a border crossing station.

BR

I was in the same position in October, my return flight couldn't be booked before I was due to be out and I had to overstay by 4 days. It was going to be less hassle to pay the fine than do a Visa run so I went to the airport expecting the fine to come, the official looked over the passport, did his paper work, and handed it to me. No fine. You could be lucky too I guess it just depends which side of the bed they got out of that morning.

Hunghung

:o Poor old Dodger's LOL

• 4 months later...

Hunghung

:o Poor old Dodger's LOL

what should some one doo if thay have 5 year overstay in thailand