Exactly how are you "escaping" your home country politics by living in Thailand?

SEAsia Traveler

Just some thoughts:

I don't get CNN or Fox in my village. In fact, I don't even watch TV.   I probably could get them on my computer, but I don't;
There are no social justice warriors or offended snowflakes in the village I live in;

The current events that people talk about in the village have nothing to do with either Russiaphobia or Trumpaphobia.
That are no roaming bands of weapon wielding balaclava wearing anti-fascists running around the village acting just like fascists;
There are no bureaucratic inspectors and tax-collectors looking to tax/fine me every time we wish to make a modification to our property;
I've never heard of a school shootings in Thailand outside of the South, and those shooting have nothing to do with anti-depressant ladened, Ritalin popping young men indiscriminately shooting up classrooms because they have a low / no self-control self-image sense of belonging even though I know that there are close to as many guns in my village as there were in any place I lived in while in the US;
When I get on an airplane I don't need to be x-rayed or have my genitalia groped to keep me 'safe' from terrorism which I'm not afraid of in the first place;
The majority of the villagers are Buddhist and they don't proselytize or knock on my door on Saturday to tell me I'm doomed to Hell, and nobody cuts off other peoples heads because they have the 'wrong' belief system;
Thais are generally socially conservative as am I;
Thailand isn't trying to bomb / sanction the rest of the world into submission.  However, the folks in my village don't equate me as being a part of the US's 'endless war' foreign policy.  But the fact the villagers throughout SE Asia are still getting killed / maimed by mines and unexploded ordinance due to French and US foreign policy blunders isn't lost on me as much as I try to ignore the past.
So the rest of the world, the US included, can go to hell in a hand-basket and I, my family, and most villagers will still have food on the table and a roof over our heads where we can try to live out our lives in relative peace as Thailand has a history of not becoming involved and will submit to the strongest actors on the world stage.
So, like other 'escapees' I have my little piece of paradise and simply attempt to ignore the rest of the insane world the best I can.  Do I still comment on it. Sure - I haven't yet 'taken the orange' and relegated myself to a cave to practice meditation.  Maybe in the future.
Why do I care? 
I lived in the US for 55 years of my life.  I've watched it degenerated over time right along with the wealth of middle class.  It's a shadow of the country I was born in post-WWII, and it's getting worse.  I have no desire to live there.  But that doesn't mean that I don't mourn for what once was.  I do.

So hopefully that clarifies it for a confused yet opinionated Thailand 'traveler' with only 25 TV posts to their name.  That's not lost on those of us who chose to live here.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I presume almost impossible to escape 100% without giving up citizenship – however the cultural heritage could still be present – but for some countries it might be more easy to partly escape than others.

From a Scandinavian country like mine, Denmark, we can escape most of tax laws when living outside Europe, which however require that we cannot own permanent property, i.e. keep one's flat or house and rent it out. On the other hand, apart from retirement pensions that has either been deducted in taxable income, or is paid by the government (we are all eligible for some after a number of years in the country), income, interest and financial gains, except dividends from stocks, are not taxed, and when not taking them into Thailand same year as earned, they are becoming legally tax free...?

Caring too much about political situation at home is fairly easy to give up, as we completely loose our voting rights when moving to a "third country", i.e. outside Europe, so friends at home don't care that much about our opinion, as we're no longer a part of the political voter's society. Of course we follow a bit, just in case we for one or other reason need to return, which however for various reasons slowly become much more difficult, than it was to sign out and leave. Seem like our changing governments don't want us vikings back, but prefers migrants from Africa and Middle East...?

But I still follow my homeland's news, I love to read the weather forecast and stories about postal service, which makes me so very happy in my choice of where to live...?

I could vote for a party in Germany if I really wanted to. But there is no party in Germany that cares about German expats or pensioners abroad. For Germans we're simply traitors because we left the country. 

So, I just watch them killing each other, in their everlasting fear of getting nuked.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Just some thoughts:

I don't get CNN or Fox in my village. In fact, I don't even watch TV.   I probably could get them on my computer, but I don't;
There are no social justice warriors or offended snowflakes in the village I live in;

The current events that people talk about in the village have nothing to do with either Russiaphobia or Trumpaphobia.
That are no roaming bands of weapon wielding balaclava wearing anti-fascists running around the village acting just like fascists;
There are no bureaucratic inspectors and tax-collectors looking to tax/fine me every time we wish to make a modification to our property;
I've never heard of a school shootings in Thailand outside of the South, and those shooting have nothing to do with anti-depressant ladened, Ritalin popping young men indiscriminately shooting up classrooms because they have a low / no self-control self-image sense of belonging even though I know that there are close to as many guns in my village as there were in any place I lived in while in the US;
When I get on an airplane I don't need to be x-rayed or have my genitalia groped to keep me 'safe' from terrorism which I'm not afraid of in the first place;
The majority of the villagers are Buddhist and they don't proselytize or knock on my door on Saturday to tell me I'm doomed to Hell, and nobody cuts off other peoples heads because they have the 'wrong' belief system;
Thais are generally socially conservative as am I;
Thailand isn't trying to bomb / sanction the rest of the world into submission.  However, the folks in my village don't equate me as being a part of the US's 'endless war' foreign policy.  But the fact the villagers throughout SE Asia are still getting killed / maimed by mines and unexploded ordinance due to French and US foreign policy blunders isn't lost on me as much as I try to ignore the past.
So the rest of the world, the US included, can go to hell in a hand-basket and I, my family, and most villagers will still have food on the table and a roof over our heads where we can try to live out our lives in relative peace as Thailand has a history of not becoming involved and will submit to the strongest actors on the world stage.
So, like other 'escapees' I have my little piece of paradise and simply attempt to ignore the rest of the insane world the best I can.  Do I still comment on it. Sure - I haven't yet 'taken the orange' and relegated myself to a cave to practice meditation.  Maybe in the future.
Why do I care? 
I lived in the US for 55 years of my life.  I've watched it degenerated over time right along with the wealth of middle class.  It's a shadow of the country I was born in post-WWII, and it's getting worse.  I have no desire to live there.  But that doesn't mean that I don't mourn for what once was.  I do.

So hopefully that clarifies it for a confused yet opinionated Thailand 'traveler' with only 25 TV posts to their name.  That's not lost on those of us who chose to live here.

My my my...if only most Americans were thinking like you!

By the way I imagine you haven't burnt your Nike shoes...

You have said it all in a few paragraphs...my home country is one the US vassals, actually getting ready to follow its master and teach a lesson in Syria...and bring us closer to WWIII...

What a bunch of degenerates!

My first year living in Bangkok  I watched zero TV. I listened to music.  Now I watch a tiny bit of TV like the Thai show the Mask.  I watch some football in bars as it is always on and no choice.   I have had Thai girlfriends that watch the Thai soap operas after they take care of me first.  Have no desire to see or discuss politics.  I do admit I am interested in Brexit simply to make money off the currency and sometimes watch CNBC to see what the salesmen are pushing to the public so I can avoid those bad investment decisions. 

I am in the USA now and bored to tears. IMO politics is simply an entertainment show no different from wrestling or football or basketball where people choose a team and live or die on the outcome of the games.  They also use this entertainment to think they are smart etc.   but few read history and realize all of this drama has been repeated for the last 3000 years. I do believe Brexit is terribly wrong and continue to bet against the pound and the UK.  Some decisions defy logic, history and common sense.  

14 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

I think it really depends on which country you are from as to how much politics you can escape in Thailand.  My ex wife is Swiss.  Switzerland seems like an aggressively bureaucratic nightmare place to live where you have to vote on everything!  Of course this makes it a true democracy, but a true democracy is very bureaucratic, apparently. Then take my country, where most people don't vote, the USA.  I escape nothing by moving here, because I wasn't involved in politics when I lived there.  It is not compulsory to vote in the USA, so many do not.  Americans take a lazy view of politics.  I would bet most here have not registered to vote in November.  I know I have not.  

I am also an American citizen. I agree with nearly all you say, except the percentage that vote. In presidential elections an average of 50% vote, so 'most' is a bit too far. However, I'm sure state and local elections may have lower turnouts.

Perhaps we could have avoided this potentially fatal self-inflicted suporating wound we call a president if just a few more people had voted.  Then again, maybe not since his opponent won the popular vote anyway.

As for the bureaucracy, I would genuinely like to know if any country has more bureaucracy than America. It seems you can't breathe without applying for a permit, paying a fee, and then waiting 30 days for a response. That said, I guess a lot of folks just stop breathing and feel that they made the right decision.

The poor voting habits we exhibit have brought us to a tragic state.

I live in Thailand and get a gradually diminishing social security check every month, so I monitor that type of news to know when the government will finally repudiate all its obligations and stop payments altogether.

I also monitor the financial news to know when to get back into the sock market after the next crash occurs. I don't think that will be long now with our president managing the economy with such informed proficiency.

Finally, I monitor the housing market awaiting the best opportunity to sell my primary residence and rental property.

I have determined to continue to move most of my assets out of my home country before the gov seizes bank accounts to pay for more social programs and to arm more police and Homeland Security and TSA goons.

At this point I can only hope that the shame and regret that all Americans should feel right now will force them into participating in local, state, and federal politics.

The life they save may be their own!

Unfortunately I personally fear that my beloved country is past the tipping point, so I don't anticipate ever living there again for any length of time.

Yes, that saddens me deeply to say. I was once so proud to be American. Now I'm happy to be mistaken for a Canadian!

(just kidding about Canadians folks,. Don't bring out the torches and pitchforks)

Two former friends who grew up together, had similar careers after university, both married 25+ years with kids, divorced, retired to Thailand. One sits on the couch all day watching Fox News and screaming about Obama, the other never turns on a TV except to watch a DVD. That's me. It feels good to "escape" the madness that has swept America. Kind of feels like the day I got divorced: she's still there, but I'm free!

16 hours ago, micmichd said:

You can. 

Western politics are quite schizophrenic: The nanny state for the impoverished self-declared "people", and the economy for successful participants including retired workers. 

I'm German, and I escaped politics by focusing only on economic laws. As a defender of your very personal interest you can set the theme in a legal conflict. And I use Article 3 GG (Germany's constitutional equal opportunity act) for everything. 

Perhaps we all have a different understanding of what the term "escape" means .

Let me use the following extreme example to illustrate my understanding of the term.  Suppose you are being attacked by a couple of guys, and they are beating you up, if you manage to evade then and runaway so that they can no longer attack you and beat you up, then you have " escaped".    if you simply ignore them and try to do your own thing while they are still beating you up then you have not "escaped " you are simply in denial.

Having says this ,  Let me also say that it also depends  what country's politics you are trying to

escape. Some country's politics are easier to escape than others. For instance, if you are from a small country with litle international influence, you could escape the politics of that country for the most part, but they can still beat you up with your health care insurance  there or your pension and any property you might own or be entitled to. You can ignore the politics , like you can try to ignore the guys that are beating you up , but you do that at your own detriment.

And then there are countries like the US of which I am a citizen, The politics of such country have far reaching effects. the policies implemented there not only affect its citizens, but also the citizens of other countries( thats why half the political  stories in world news ar from the US), IMO impossible to escape, and ignoring them thinking you have escaped them ill advised.

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I am also an American citizen. I agree with nearly all you say, except the percentage that vote. In presidential elections an average of 50% vote, so 'most' is a bit too far. However, I'm sure state and local elections may have lower turnouts.

Perhaps we could have avoided this potentially fatal self-inflicted suporating wound we call a president if just a few more people had voted.  Then again, maybe not since his opponent won the popular vote anyway.

As for the bureaucracy, I would genuinely like to know if any country has more bureaucracy than America. It seems you can't breathe without applying for a permit, paying a fee, and then waiting 30 days for a response. That said, I guess a lot of folks just stop breathing and feel that they made the right decision.

The poor voting habits we exhibit have brought us to a tragic state.

I live in Thailand and get a gradually diminishing social security check every month, so I monitor that type of news to know when the government will finally repudiate all its obligations and stop payments altogether.

I also monitor the financial news to know when to get back into the sock market after the next crash occurs. I don't think that will be long now with our president managing the economy with such informed proficiency.

Finally, I monitor the housing market awaiting the best opportunity to sell my primary residence and rental property.

I have determined to continue to move most of my assets out of my home country before the gov seizes bank accounts to pay for more social programs and to arm more police and Homeland Security and TSA goons.

At this point I can only hope that the shame and regret that all Americans should feel right now will force them into participating in local, state, and federal politics.

Unfortunately I personally fear that my beloved country is past the tipping point, so I don't anticipate ever living there again for any length of time.

Yes, that saddens me deeply to say. I was once so proud to be American. Now I'm happy to be mistaken for a Canadian!

(just kidding about Canadians folks,. Don't bring out the torches and pitchforks)

I am saddened also, but glad to be away and will only go back on vacations.  I watch Lemon and Cuomo on CNN and it confirms I should not go back.  American has become even more racist than it was; with Christians being the ultimate hypocrites.  I concede your 50% voting number, but you have not experienced bureaucracy until you become a Swiss citizen.  My former wife was hounded by the Swiss government constantly while in the USA for obscure documents year after year.  They had their nose into everything even though she was not in Switzerland and is a US resident.  The US seems to only want to know how much money I have in the bank here. 

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

It feels good to hear from Americans thinking like you (do you subscribe to Paul Craig Roberts blog? worth it!).

Just a few comments if you don't mind.

The best time to sell real estate in the US may be...right now!

The stock market is a different story...it is in the hands of central banks, banks and corporations, and not in the hands of real investors.

So, a stock market crash would imply a complete loss of control from the above entities, which would likely translate into hyperinflation and the whole ensuing enchilada...all this to say that you wouldn't want to invest in such a market, because it would probably never recover...at least during your lifetime...

Otherwise, it's good to pass for a Canadian, even after taking into consideration the antics of Mr Peoplekind! At least the guy is not looking for ways to blow up the world!

Although I'm from UK, I know next to nothing about politics there, and don't watch the TV from there either really.

I'm a little more familiar with USA politics (but not very) as it affects the world more than UK.

I really hope I never have to go back.  The only thing I ask of them is to be able to buy passport renewal.  I don't work there, or pay taxes there anymore, likely won't get a pension, or if I do it wouldn't be much since I've only paid in for 20 years which isn't worth Jack (that's if it even exists by then).  I don't even think I'd be entitled to NHS there anymore.

I take responsibility for all of my own affairs and ask nothing of them, nor they from me.  I have a couple of sisters, and some friends I haven't seen in a dozen years.  That's the most important thing there to me these days.  I do miss the countryside there though, and everything not being such a challenge due to language.

I find that coming to Thailand let me stop caring so much about politics. It's so easy to get heavily involved in politics in Australia, especially with all the great youtube commentators out there, but moving here made me take Aus politics less seriously.

I keep up to date with 2-3 minute audio updates from the ABC because it's interesting hearing about what crazy things the government is up to, and keeps me a relatively up to date when talking to friends back home.

Not sure if there are many people who come here to "escape" politics (unless a refugee), especially given the tedious processes you need to go through to stay here for a meaningful amount of time.

14 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

I watch Lemon and Cuomo on CNN and it confirms I should not go back.

Me too...but solely because those silly ignorant full of themselves arrogant clowns are on TV ?

The OP has a point.  I read the online version of many UK newspapers so to that extent I have not escaped. However, when I return to the UK,  surrounded by PC values,  liberalism,  feminism, socialism, Doom n Gloom, Pessimism,  an air of defeat, Rising Islamic influence,  Street violence and rising crime etc I realise , by living in Thailand I have escaped in many ways. To say nothing of escaping the weather.

On 9/10/2018 at 1:55 AM, thailand49 said:

I was as political as the next person didn't escape my home for Thailand for that reason but after living here I know I appreciate my home country more than ever before. What I took for granted even the small things would be very helpful to the Thai people.

I don't think I can ever escape what made you inside as a person plus here what else are you going to watch it is so limited even the sports, soccer, and nothing but soccer so I've even learned how to watch soccer?

I dont follow sport but it appears to me every world sport is on the TV here and in every bar and pub. More's the pity.

Archived