Williams fined $17,000 for U.S. Open code violations

webfact

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

All Americans though, which is why the rest of the world is appalled.

Fair play and sportsmanship are embedded in both British and Australian players and fans of most sports. Not so much in the US.

Not quite... Look up 'sledging'... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledging_(cricket)

Which is a particular rife between England and Australia's cricket teams. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite... Look up 'sledging'... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledging_(cricket)

Which is a particular rife between England and Australia's cricket teams. 

You need to read your own quote, participants on both sides consider it "good humoured banter". They can do this because they are good sports. Never aimed at officials.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dap said:

Just gotta' laugh at all the grousing over Serena sullying the "graceful" sport when if it wasn't for Connors and

McEnroe bitchin' up a storm that same "graceful" sport wouldn't enjoy the massive following it does today. :cheesy:

I didn't say a word!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

All Americans though, which is why the rest of the world is appalled.

Fair play and sportsmanship are embedded in both British and Australian players and fans of most sports. Not so much in the US.

Fair play, like tampering with a cricket ball you mean?

I think in general in the USA authority is less easily accepted and respected than in other countries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Fair play, like tampering with a cricket ball you mean?

Which was condemned by the governing body, fellow players and fans.

The incident in South Africa, involving Australian players, caused them to be attacked more vehemently by their own fans than any other. They became pariahs in their own country.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Princess Entitled strikes again. 

She has a history of doing this when things don’t go her way. 

Well, we agree on this one...haha. She sure does have a history of it...even threatened a foot fault linesman for a call too a while back. Nasty entitled woman but gets away with it for obvious reasons.

10 hours ago, lanista said:

Just your typical spoilt brat American. 17 K is lunch money to this lot.

She ruined the moment for the other player who looked very  shaken & upset after winning the title.

Why dont the William sisters retire?

The standard of womens tennis has hit a low point.... again.

McEnroe says the 700th ranked man would knock off Serena/Venus  or any of the top 10 womens players.

Why are they earning the same prizemoney as the men ?

Women players are  grossly overpaid , underworked and overrated.

Yes, she says that she is standing up for equality for women, who get paid the same as men even though they play a minimum of two sets and a maximum of three while the men play a minimum of three and a maximum of five.  If that is her idea of equality, ........well. perhaps I am not surprised after all.

One contestant complained during the USA Open that she was criticised for changing her shirt on court, since she was only doing what the men do all the time.   I wonder what she would say if the rules were changed so that the women have to change their shirts on court just as the men do?

18 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Well, we agree on this one...haha. She sure does have a history of it...even threatened a foot fault linesman for a call too a while back. Nasty entitled woman but gets away with it for obvious reasons.

Yes, I recall that she was booed on that occasion for shouting that she was entitled to have her say because it was called free speech and SHE was an AMERICAN.  That did not go down well with the crowd.  

The facts are that she was losing and 'lost it'. The poor multi-millionaire girl was only 'standing up for women' right?  yes, yea, yea.  I heard one commentator say she was 'graceful in defeat' if THAT was 'graceful' I'd hate to see what sour grapes is like.

• Haha 1

Deliberate gamesmanship from Williams, bordering on cheating.

Taking a leaf from McEnroe's book, she figured that if she created enough of a ruckus, her inexperienced opponent would be distracted and upset, and Williams could get herself back into the match.

It worked for McEnroe on several occasions, so tremendous credit to Osaka for ignoring it and finishing the match with an emphatic belter of a serve.

As the great Scottish philosopher John Higgins noted: "I never play the opponent; I just play the balls."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It would never have happened at Wimbledon" someone posted.

No, I suppose not.

Nor would it have happened at one of the exclusive country clubs in the USA. They're very choosy about whom they admit.

As Groucho Marx once said:  "I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member."

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't particularly like Serena, but why would she retire, when very few are able to match her abilities on the tennis court?

The only reason the Williams sisters dominate (womens)  tennis is because they only play against other women or teenage  girls.

Women never play against men, if they did they would never get enough points to get into even a minor satellite tournament.

The  ATP top ten women players  would be thrashed by men 700, 800th even 1000th on the tour.

Women athletes are grossly overrated.

The ancient Greeks would laugh their heads off.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lanista said:

The only reason the Williams sisters dominate (womens)  tennis is because they only play against other women or teenage  girls.

Women never play against men, if they did they would never get enough points to get into even a minor satellite tournament.

The  ATP top ten women players  would be thrashed by men 700, 800th even 1000th on the tour.

You seem to have forgotten the match between Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

You need to read your own quote, participants on both sides consider it "good humoured banter". They can do this because they are good sports. Never aimed at officials.

You should watch videos of Steve Smith (Ex-Captain) confronting umpires. The man was a disgraceful brat long before he was caught cheating. 

21 minutes ago, lanista said:

This is the truth of it. Equal pay?  no problem play the men, 5 sets.  This pc nonsense goes on and on in the US these days.  'Standing up for womens rights' by whining after losing?   do me a favour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The most well known case case of a woman playing a man, one on one, at a professional level ended in a woman winning. 

Nonsense. You have absolutely no way to prove that and as I say, the most well known case of a top ten woman playing a male professional resulted in a woman winning. 

One Woman beat a Man in Tennis once , that is hardly conclusive .

Yes, one woman can beat one man in Tennis , but generally Men are the better tennis players .

Woman are better at gymnastics than men.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

One Woman beat a Man in Tennis once , that is hardly conclusive .

Yes, one woman can beat one man in Tennis , but generally Men are the better tennis players .

Woman are better at gymnastics than men.

Really, so you agree the top ten women couldn't beat an 800th ranked man as this poster says?

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That's not what they said.

That is what I am asking to be proven.

I agree, prove it but I doubt it will happen. To be honest I dont really agree with you on this one, unusually, and I am all for equality but that is hardly the case when you limit play to one gender. Same could be said for football, F1 and all the rest. I think separating gender is discriminatory and sexist. This is not about male superiority, we are all equal, but we are not the same and the two get confused.