Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

29 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you think this has anything, even the remotest connection to the topic?

You brought up the fact that Sambo is racist. It also shows that Brits kicked out racism and slavery long before the US.

I failed to mention that people, white people, British people, still lay flowers om his grave 250 years later. It always has fresh flowers on it.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, tropo said:

All the reasons for the cartoon are topical. Go and moderate somewhere else or apply for a job.

Everyone, at least most, agrees with the decision of the referee and that it was perhaps more severe than a men's ref.

No problem with that. 

No racism. 

This thread is the Australian newspaper that posted the racist cartoon again and defended it defying logic and most reasonable people in the world and giving Australia another racist debate.  

Topic

"Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage"

I thought perhaps you did not read the OP. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

The media I have been linking did many times.  The big question they were trying to answer is why does Australia have a different opinion about this than the rest of the world. 

They don't. I am not Australian. Neither are many other sane people who do not think it is racist. 

Racists believe one race is superior to another. Hitler was racist. KKK members are racists. This cartoon is not racist. 

The phrase "first world problems" comes to mind when I consider your statements. I suppose it is nice some of us have absolutely nothing else to worry about to the point where this cartoon somehow turns into a "problem".

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Another poster wrote, "No wonder Yanks have Shrinks, and Europeans dont use or like em much."  Which is totally wrong as you can see from the graph.  

Yes, but you then encouraged further debate on an irrelevant post, didn't you?

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Everyone, at least most, agrees with the decision of the referee and that it was perhaps more severe than a men's ref.

No problem with that. 

No racism. 

This thread is the Australian newspaper that posted the racist cartoon again and defended it defying logic and most reasonable people in the world and giving Australia another racist debate.  

Topic

"Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage"

I thought perhaps you did not read the OP. 

Once again, anything to do with this tennis match and Serena Williams remains on topic. If you find a post is off topic and it disturbs you, don't waste bandwidth nagging about it - click the report button. Your posts nagging about on-topic, off-topic are actually off topic and do more to derail a thread, as this discourse clearly demonstrates.

40 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

The phrase "first world problems" comes to mind when I consider your statements. I suppose it is nice some of us have absolutely nothing else to worry about to the point where this cartoon somehow turns into a "problem".

I watched an episode of Daniel Sloss's comedy show yesterday on netflix. He put it well, mentioning that since the middle class meat eating whites don't really have any problems, they need to create their own ones. These cartoons seem like a prime example.

59 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, but you then encouraged further debate on an irrelevant post, didn't you?

No I stopped it because it was in error.  Had I not the other anti Americans would have chimed in about how Americans used more psychiatrists than Europeans. 

If someone posted that Australians all had tiny things and that's why the cartoon about Serena was drawn.  Would it be corrected or just let go because it would encourage further irrelevant debate?

47 minutes ago, tropo said:

Once again, anything to do with this tennis match and Serena Williams remains on topic. If you find a post is off topic and it disturbs you, don't waste bandwidth nagging about it - click the report button. Your posts nagging about on-topic, off-topic are actually off topic and do more to derail a thread, as this discourse clearly demonstrates.

If you read all the posts you would realize how the Aussies are desperately trying to obscure the subject of the thread (Australian Racist cartoon) and you are helping them. 

I don't think the topic is "anything to do with the Serena Tennis match".  Nothing in the topic to suggest that is the case.  Sure I should I should have reported it but I thought maybe you didn't read the OP and only needed to be reminded of that.  I didn't know you wanted to start bickering about it.  Sorry.  Next time I'll know. 

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

They don't. I am not Australian. Neither are many other sane people who do not think it is racist. 

Racists believe one race is superior to another. Hitler was racist. KKK members are racists. This cartoon is not racist. 

CNN sums it up for most, "Australia is the nicest racist country you will ever see." 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

CNN sums it up for most, "Australia is the nicest racist country you will ever see." 

Whoo, you shouldn't have mentioned CNN on TVF. Don't you know that it's the Devil's channel?

BTW. That was a comment by one contributor, not a statement of channel policy. Other contributors disagreed.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

You brought up the fact that Sambo is racist. It also shows that Brits kicked out racism and slavery long before the US.

I failed to mention that people, white people, British people, still lay flowers om his grave 250 years later. It always has fresh flowers on it.

Sambo is mentioned in the OP because of a connection between the story Little Black Sambo and Jim Crow period - the denigration and marginalization of black people in the US. 

Your use of the story tries to transfer a name remembered in infamy by the black population in the US with a trite and pleasant little poem.  Incredible insulting (I know you can't fathom why and that's the point of this thread). 

Slavery in name only was replaced by indentured laborers in the British empire, in Fiji, Natal, Burma, Ceylon, Malaya, British Guiana, Jamaica and Trinidad. The first ships carrying indentured laborers left India in 1836.  Suggest getting a little better attuned to your real history.   

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

"Sambo," a derogatory term for a black person, is the name of a folkloric figure usually depicted with an exaggerated mouth and an ape-like stance.

The least you could do is not plagiarize your arguments.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-williams-cartoon/australia-paper-defends-serena-williams-cartoon-despite-outrage-idUSKCN1LR228

You already lost your argument when you used the “I had a black roommate” line to try to bolster your virtue signaling.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your use of the story tries to transfer a name remembered in infamy by the black population in the US with a trite and pleasant little poem.  Incredible insulting (I know you can't fathom why and that's the point of this thread). 

The cartoon wasn't published by a US newspaper, it was an Australian newspaper, so by that rote, US indignation is irrelevant to the thread. so don't bring it up again! It's an Australian issue, not yours.

BTW. Thanks for giving Jim Who? yet another mention.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Did you hope to convert her to your views? Must have made for lively conversations at the dinner table. Would have thought that her racist views would have taken her off your marriage-material list.

She is the pretty one.  First 14 years of marriage we didn't talk much.  Other things to do.

cheer.jpg

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That was an opinion piece by a writer and CNN stated that the opinions are of the writer and not a CNN opinion .

Rather strange , that the writer seems to refer to Serena as an "African"

"This will change—slowly, much more slowly than in countries like the United States, with its vastly greater direct exposure to African peoples, culture and history. "

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

No I stopped it because it was in error.  Had I not the other anti Americans would have chimed in about how Americans used more psychiatrists than Europeans. 

If someone posted that Australians all had tiny things and that's why the cartoon about Serena was drawn.  Would it be corrected or just let go because it would encourage further irrelevant debate?

So you get to pick and choose what's relevant and what's not?

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

THat was a commentary piece by a single author. All of CNN did not get together and agree on and approve the contents.

Let me ask you something, racism involves one race stating or otherwise acting to prove another race is inferior.

Do you think this cartoonist was pointing out one race to be inferior to another?

Or do you simply think, and this is arguable but I am asking what you think, that the cartoonist was insensitive to racial propoganda of the past?

Because those are two entirely different questions. If you are answering yes to both I think you are way out of line. If you are answering yes to only the latter, I suppose it is arguable, but I still do not agree. 

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

She is the pretty one.  First 14 years of marriage we didn't talk much.  Other things to do.

You watched Debbie Does Dallas too much, what you think of as reality is actually just a fantasy.

Archived