Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Spade is a racist word for black person. 

A derogatory term for an African American

Not in context of the saying, it's an implement for digging. A shovel is an implement for moving debris. Linked to the saying call a spade a spade. Nothing to do with black people, everything to do with an implement for digging soil.

Are you saying that if I say, "There's a black cloud hanging over me" it's racist because black could refer to a black person too?

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not in context of the saying, it's an implement for digging. A shovel is an implement for moving debris. Linked to the saying call a spade a spade. Nothing to do with black people, everything to do with an implement for digging soil.

Are you saying that if I say, "There's a black cloud hanging over me" it's racist because black could refer to a black person too?

Post # 148

Many years ago, I went on a one week training in Singapore. 
I was called Caucasian, the lady sitting next to me Malay and so on ....
by race and Nationality, no offense taken nor intended.
Those were the days when one could call a 2 a 2 and a 1 a 1.

Response

A shovel is a shovel and a spade is a spade :cheesy:

Spade is a reference to black person or the N word. 

About time to admit you were wrong?

Black is bad white is good in the English language. Hard luck on black Americans if they can’t understand the concept of context. Saying “White as white”  got a policeman suspended and under investigation in UK. The minorities have us all feeling as though we are walking on eggshells at the moment, racist is such a misapplied term that it has lost its meaning for me. 

I tried digging the garden with a black fellow once, it was bloody hard going.  Then someone less politically correct handed me a spade. It worked!! I've never looked back! 555

Yeah, seriously, it's been fun but I don't think he's converted anyone yet so I'm with Kadilo. Stop feeding the troll!

7 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

I tried digging the garden with a black fellow once, it was bloody hard going.  Then someone less politically correct handed me a spade. It worked!! I've never looked back! 555

Yeah, seriously, it's been fun but I don't think he's converted anyone yet so I'm with Kadilo. Stop feeding the troll!

Below was the post I was referring to and it's an insult to black people.  Yours was a faux insult.  I know the difference. I'm sure you can figure it out too. 

Post # 148

Many years ago, I went on a one week training in Singapore. 

Response

27 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Blimey are people still feeding him.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Don't worry.  The racist contingent has lost the argument and admitted it was a racist cartoon and are now in the flaming part of the thread where they discard any attempt at debate and only flame anyone who disagrees with them.  After the flame part they will bicker with no on topic content and it will get so tiresome that the thread will be closed.  So don't worry not much longer. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Even you are not that naive. I posted numerous photos in this thread that were tasteful and on topic and they were not removed.  The gross photos of the black women were racist and demeaning and were removed. 

Hey Rimmer, care to comment? 

It's not like the mods are some unkown celestial entity passing judgement on us, we can actually ask them.

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Even you are not that naive. I posted numerous photos in this thread that were tasteful and on topic and they were not removed.  The gross photos of the black women were racist and demeaning and were removed. 

What were they photos of and in which post ?

I havent noticed any "gross photos of Black woman" being posted and removed .

Who posted them ?

Which numbered posts were they ?

31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What were they photos of and in which post ?

I havent noticed any "gross photos of Black woman" being posted and removed .

Who posted them ?

Which numbered posts were they ?

Spidey said there was not one post insulting blacks which was kind of funny because a poster had just posted one seconds before ,of black women with giant butts, Spidey posted his claim and I had reported 5 or 6 others that were beyond even my level of tolerance.  I went back to the beginning of the thread and pulled a couple, one depicting almost naked black women which was removed and another calling blacks by the pejorative, "spade"  of course they tried to say that meant shovel but if you read the post it was obvious it was a racial insult.  Sorry you missed them.  They were typical racial insults as per others in this thread. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Spade is a racist word for black person. 

A derogatory term for an African American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spade

220px-Spade.jpg

Small spade for clay soil; the other one for sandy soil and loamy soil

A spade is a tool primarily for digging, comprising a blade – typically narrower and less curved than that of a shovel – and a long handle.[1] Early spades were made of riven wood or of animal bones (often shoulder blades). After the art of metalworking was developed, spades were made with sharper tips of metal. Before the introduction of metal spades manual labor was less efficient at moving earth, with picks being required to break up the soil in addition to a spade for moving the dirt. With a metal tip, a spade can both break and move the earth in most situations, increasing efficiency.

That is what a spade is, complete with a photograph.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
  • Protected classes.  If you don't know why go back to grade school.  It believe it is covered in 7th grade. 
  • Race.
  • Color.
  • Religion or creed.
  • National origin or ancestry.
  • Sex.
  • Age.
  • Physical or mental disability.
  • Veteran status.

Sorry I don't treat others like an endangered species of animal, I think that's disgusting. I treat them like equals.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, marcusarelus said:

Typical white Australian and typical black Australian. 

Typical Aussie.jpg

banker.jpg

Now did you look at your own post, it is the epitome of racism.  Here you are depicting all white Australians as uneducated dole bludging bogans and black Australians as highly educated and sophisticated leaders.  Did you know education and jobs are open to all races in Australia.  On Applications you tick are box that says are you of aboriginal decent, this gives you priority over a white.  You are calling out white racist but your hypocrisy is stifling 

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Now did you look at your own post, it is the epitome of racism.  Here you are depicting all white Australians as uneducated dole bludging bogans and black Australians as highly educated and sophisticated leaders.  Did you know education and jobs are open to all races in Australia.  On Applications you tick are box that says are you of aboriginal decent, this gives you priority over a white.  You are calling out white racist but your hypocrisy is stifling 

The post was an example how a photo can be racist and you have proved the point that it can.  Perhaps read before you post. 

You see, the other racist posters kept saying there is no way a photo can be racist because a photo is always accurate - but it's not when you show a photo next to a racist cartoon or a suggestion it becomes an instrument of racism as you have pointed out.  

As a third step you take the photo out of context (it was meant to show a false impression) and say it was meant to show a real impression. 

The post the two photo's were responding to was this;

"Me too...…….how can a normal photograph of someone be determined as racist??  

I've searched through many definitions of racism/racist but still none fits what these people find in that photo."

I posted those two photos to show that a normal photo can be racist.  Do you get it now?  post for confirmation #467

8 hours ago, underlordcthulhu said:

Sorry I don't treat others like an endangered species of animal, I think that's disgusting. I treat them like equals.

Employment discrimination law in the United States derives from the common law, and is codified in numerous state and federal laws, particularly the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as in the ordinances of counties and municipalities. These laws prohibit discrimination based on certain characteristics or protected categories. The United States Constitution also prohibits discrimination by federal and state governments against their public employees. Discrimination in the private sector is not directly constrained by the Constitution, but has become subject to a growing body of federal and state law. Federal law prohibits discrimination in a number of areas, including recruiting, hiring, job evaluations, promotion policies, training, compensation and disciplinary action. State laws often extend protection to additional categories or employers.

You think the laws in the USA that protect minorities after hundreds of years of discrimination are disgusting? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_United_States

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The post was an example how a photo can be racist and you have proved the point that it can.  Perhaps read before you post. 

You see, the other racist posters kept saying there is no way a photo can be racist because a photo is always accurate - but it's not when you show a photo next to a racist cartoon or a suggestion it becomes an instrument of racism as you have pointed out.  

As a third step you take the photo out of context (it was meant to show a false impression) and say it was meant to show a real impression. 

The post the two photo's were responding to was this;

"Me too...…….how can a normal photograph of someone be determined as racist??  

I've searched through many definitions of racism/racist but still none fits what these people find in that photo."

I posted those two photos to show that a normal photo can be racist.  Do you get it now?  post for confirmation #467

No automatic alt text available.

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Spidey said there was not one post insulting blacks which was kind of funny because a poster had just posted one seconds before ,of black women with giant butts, Spidey posted his claim and I had reported 5 or 6 others that were beyond even my level of tolerance.  I went back to the beginning of the thread and pulled a couple, one depicting almost naked black women which was removed and another calling blacks by the pejorative, "spade"  of course they tried to say that meant shovel but if you read the post it was obvious it was a racial insult.  Sorry you missed them.  They were typical racial insults as per others in this thread. 

So you've been reporting posts to the mods that don't agree with your POV and getting them removed? 

Says it all really, pointless making any further contribution to this thread.

Bye troll, hope you starve.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

220px-Spade.jpg

A spade is a tool primarily for digging, comprising a blade – typically narrower and less curved than that of a shovel – and a long handle.[1] Early spades were made of riven wood or of animal bones (often shoulder blades). After the art of metalworking was developed, spades were made with sharper tips of metal. Before the introduction of metal spades manual labor was less efficient at moving earth, with picks being required to break up the soil in addition to a spade for moving the dirt. With a metal tip, a spade can both break and move the earth in most situations, increasing efficiency.

This was the post in question.  It reveals "spade" was used to represent a black person or the  "N" word. 

Post # 148

"Many years ago, I went on a one week training in Singapore. 

Response

Spade is a reference to black person or the N word. "

If you don't understand the above was meant as a derogatory post about black people/spade.  I don't know what else to say.  There is the proof in black and white.  Your photo is not the way the word was meant in the above post.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

220px-Spade.jpg

The implement on the right is clearly a shovel.

Not nice to call a shovel a spade. Clearly racist.

Can the mods remove this racist post?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, brucec64 said:
No automatic alt text available.

The post I was responding to claimed a photo can't convey racist meaning.  It is obvious posting a photo can convey any meaning the author wishes to convey.  There was a photo of Serena made to look very negative as the photo is a white man made to look very negative.  A photo can convey racism or anything you want it to it does not represent truth it represents the point of view of the photographer.  Duh!

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The implement on the right is clearly a shovel.

Not nice to call a shovel a spade. Clearly racist.

Can the mods remove this racist post?

Thanks.

The post where the word spade was used in a racist manner is reproduced below.

Post # 148

"Many years ago, I went on a one week training in Singapore. 

Response

A shovel is a shovel and a spade is a spade :cheesy:"

About time to admit you were wrong?

Archived