Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Positive discrimination, in the UK. A not universally popular concept.

My point is you know what it is.  I know what it is.  My children who were educated in 4 different countries know what it is. 

Are you really asking me to believe there are people in the world who don't know what a protected minority is and why?

My ex wife is an ignorant, redneck, racist from Arkansas who flies a Confederate flag from her porch and refers to black people by the N word.   Even she knows what a protected minority is and why. 

How could anyone in this day and age not know?

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No you weren't.  You asked " Who are a "protected minority" and why are they "protected" and in which way"  

What I think about is irrelevant.  The law determines whom a protected minority is and why and how they are protected not my opinion.

There are different laws for different races ?

Could you state those laws that protect one group and not another ?

Caucasians are a minority in the World

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There are different laws for different races ?

Could you state those laws that protect one group and not another ?

Caucasians are a minority in the World

No. Gee I hope you didn't go to school in Australia.  If you did it throws a whole new light on this thread and our discussion. 

I did give you a link before.  Apparently you can't google or read. 

Google laws for protected minority. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

Just now, marcusarelus said:

My point is you know what it is.  I know what it is.  My children who were educated in 4 different countries know what it is. 

Are you really asking me to believe there are people in the world who don't know what a protected minority is and why?

My ex wife is an ignorant, redneck, racist from Arkansas who flies a Confederate flag from her porch and refers to black people by the N word.   Even she knows what a protected minority is and why. 

I can only assume that it's a term exclusive to the States. Minority, as in ethnic minority, religious minority etc. yes, protected minority, not in my experience and I too have lived in several countries and travelled to many more.

Which is why most people don't know what a "protected minority" is.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I can only assume that it's a term exclusive to the States. Minority, as in ethnic minority, religious minority etc. yes, protected minority, not in my experience and I too have lived in several countries and travelled to many more.

Which is why most people don't know what a "protected minority" is.

Politicians and Whales seem to be the prime example, i guess, never heard either

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are laws and rules to protect from discrimination .

But those rules and laws do not extend to tennis players and cartoons about them .

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My ex wife is an ignorant, redneck, racist from Arkansas who flies a Confederate flag from her porch and refers to black people by the N word.

Well if she's black and living in the USA, it's not a problem for her to refer to black people by the "N" word.

Another example of the ridiculously skewed concept of racism in the USA.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do get back on topic then .

Read the OP and start again 

No one said anything was illegal.  "repugnant on many levels." Racist and

unnecessarily sambo-like, "Sambo," a derogatory term for a black person, is the name of a folkloric figure usually depicted with an exaggerated mouth and an ape-like stance.

Nothing about Serena is legally protected from any of that. 

Go ahead read the OP.  Matter of fact I think you should.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

No one said anything was illegal.  "repugnant on many levels." Racist and

unnecessarily sambo-like, "Sambo," a derogatory term for a black person, is the name of a folkloric figure usually depicted with an exaggerated mouth and an ape-like stance.

Nothing about Serena is legally protected from any of that. 

Go ahead read the OP.  Matter of fact I think you should.

In my home town in the UK, in a field behind an 18th century port, long abandoned, is a grave. 

It's the grave of a cabin boy, who died aboard an 18th century tea clipper, that plied it's trade between, India, England and the USA (until some bigoted morons dumped our best Darjeeling into the river, ungrateful gits)'.

It's clearly marked "Sambo's Grave" and bears a plaque inscribed:

Here lies
Poor Samboo
A faithfull Negro
Who
(Attending his Maſter from the Weſt Indies)
Died on his Arrival at Sunderland

Full sixty Years the angry Winter's Wave
  Has thundering daſhd this bleak & barren Shore
Since Sambo's Head laid in this lonely Grave
  Lies still & ne'er will hear their turmoil more.

Full many a Sandbird chirps upon the Sod
  And many a Moonlight Elfin round him trips
Full many a Summer's Sunbeam warms the Clod
  And many a teeming Cloud upon him drips.

But still he sleeps _ till the awakening Sounds
  Of the Archangel's Trump new Life impart
Then the Great Judge his Approbation founds
  Not on Man's Color but his_Worth of Heart

James Watſon Scr.               H.Bell del. 1796

Not racist, very respectful, has brought tears to many people's eyes. It is labelled as Sambo's grave because that was his name.

44 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you hope to convert her to your views? Must have made for lively conversations at the dinner table. Would have thought that her racist views would have taken her off your marriage-material list.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, RickBradford said:

Not outraged, just saddened.

For one thing, I'm saddened that Ms Williams, who was born into a tough environment, and dragged herself to the top of the tennis tree through extraordinary discipline and dedication, should now feel, in accordance with the times, that she has to seek victim status.

That's the last thing she is.

Initially, I felt that Serena was at fault, but after investigating similar situations where male players fought with the umpire and smashed rackets, she may have lost the match because of the umpire's decisions - clearly making her the victim. Never before has a game AND a point been deducted under similar circumstances. The coaching warning was bogus to start with.

Unlike in men's matches which run between 3 and 5 sets, 2 sets can seal the deal in a woman's match, making these deductions even more critical.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In my home town in the UK, in a field behind an 18th century port, long abandoned, is a grave. 

It's the grave of a cabin boy, who died aboard an 18th century tea clipper, that plied it's trade between, India, England and the USA (until some bigoted morons dumped our best Darjeeling into the river, ungrateful gits)'.

It's clearly marked "Sambo's Grave" and bears a plaque inscribed:

Here lies
Poor Samboo
A faithfull Negro
Who
(Attending his Maſter from the Weſt Indies)
Died on his Arrival at Sunderland

Full sixty Years the angry Winter's Wave
  Has thundering daſhd this bleak & barren Shore
Since Sambo's Head laid in this lonely Grave
  Lies still & ne'er will hear their turmoil more.

Full many a Sandbird chirps upon the Sod
  And many a Moonlight Elfin round him trips
Full many a Summer's Sunbeam warms the Clod
  And many a teeming Cloud upon him drips.

But still he sleeps _ till the awakening Sounds
  Of the Archangel's Trump new Life impart
Then the Great Judge his Approbation founds
  Not on Man's Color but his_Worth of Heart

James Watſon Scr.               H.Bell del. 1796

Not racist, very respectful, has brought tears to many people's eyes. It is labelled as Sambo's grave because that was his name.

Do you think this has anything, even the remotest connection to the topic?

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Initially, I felt that Serena was at fault, but after investigating similar situations where male players fought with the umpire and smashed rackets, she may have lost the match because of the umpire's decisions - clearly making her the victim. Never before has a game AND a point been deducted under similar circumstances. The coaching warning was bogus to start with.

Unlike in men's matches which run between 3 and 5 sets, 2 sets can seal the deal in a woman's match, making these deductions even more critical.

The coach admitted to coaching, Serena also called the umpire "a thief", she was also fined for racket violation. She  spat the dummy because she was losing, end of.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

This topic has nothing to do with the rules or the smashed rackets or point deductions.  You do know that don't you?

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

This topic has nothing to do with the rules or the smashed rackets or point deductions.  You do know that don't you?

All the reasons for the cartoon are topical. Go and moderate somewhere else or apply for a job.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The coach admitted to coaching, Serena also called the umpire "a thief", she was also fined for racket violation. She  spat the dummy because she was losing, end of.

Thanks! I know exactly what she said as I watched it many times. As far as your "end of" suggestions, no, she wasn't losing, she was behind. How many times have you seen champions come back after being sets behind? Do you ever watch tennis?

Archived