Registering at immigration the day after arriving in Thailand?

soistalker

My wife just flew into Thailand this afternoon, Wednesday. We live in Jomtien. We will spend the night in Bangkok tonight, going to Jomtien on Thursday afternoon. 

My question is when does she need to register at immigration in Jomtien? Must it be Thursday or can it be Friday since the hotel will report her as staying in a Bangkok hotel from Wednesday night to thursday ?

I assume both of you need to inform immigration ?   If you live in Jomtien then you are returning to an address that you have already filled out and received a TM 30 receipt ( prior to leaving the country) ?  

Anyway,  be sure to get a receipt from the hotel to show immigration.  Each office interprets the "rules" differently, I'm afraid.  If you have a phone # for Jomtien immig. ( can get from internet ) maybe you can ask the hotel reception to call and ask what immig. wants.   SHOULD be ok to go on Friday.....but can never assume.  Looking at your post again,  maybe it is just her that had left ?   If so ,  does immig want you to "update" also if you spend the night in BKK ?   like i said, different strokes wherever you go.  Some offices only care about when you leave the country and return, but i think some TV posters in Jomtien said Jomtien was "different"

Edited by rumak

3 hours ago, rumak said:

Some offices only care about when you leave the country and return, but i think some TV posters in Jomtien said Jomtien was "different"

I just went last week to register my address at Jomtien and they said that I must do it every time I leave the country and return.

Edited by vinegarbase
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Within 24 hours of arriving at your residence. It is not from when she entered the country.

In CM they can be pretty tough...if they are having a bad day.   That is why i suggest keeping hotel receipt to prove you

were not late in reporting

• Sad 1

Those that are staying in hotels etc the establishment does it for you which is why they take a copy of your passport.

Those staying in private accommodation the owner of the property or "tabien baan" holder has to do it, for some that is the wife.

Those that have bought there own Condo take care of it themselves.Those that rent the Landlord "should" do it.

That is my understanding of the procedure.However as with most things in Thailand there is rarely consistency and you should check with the local immigration office as to what they require.(if not using hotel accom).

4 minutes ago, Kim J said:

If staying at a hotel it is the hotels responsibility to register you.

If staying at your own or a friends residence, the owner of the house you are staying at needs to register you at immigration within 24 hours, but they will grant you 48 hours.

If you leave Thailand and return, you should register again against your latest TM30.

If you go to another area of Thailand for over 24 hrs you need to register there, but if you then return to Pattaya to the same address you do not need to do anything. However if you change address within the Pattaya area at any time you need to repeat the process with the owner of the new property.

That is how it was explained to us earlier this year. But TIT and I dare say if you were to ask a different officer at Jomtien Soi 5 you could get a different answer.

This has always been the law, but only recently have they started enforcing it.

If you are just staying the standard 30 days or with a 60 day tourist visa and then leaving Thailand, unless you have a problem with immigration or police during your stay, I would think that you will most likely get away with not bothering. However anyone now wishing to extend a tourist visa is being asked to show the proof of registration at where they are staying and I have personally witnessed people being fined for not having registered. I also know of people who have been fined for registering late after the initial 48 hrs grace period.

Unless your staying in Bangkok....I have heard they are not interested in messing around with all this registering rigmarole.. 

5 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Am 18 years attending Soi 5 Jomtien and travelling in and out of Thailand at least once every year (last trip about 4 months ago). I have never reported within the 24 hour period that has become a regular confusing topic on this forum. So confusing that I even checked with the "head man" in that office before leaving for my recent trip and he said "No, not have to do".

As always, I just start the clock ticking for my 90 day report from the day I arrive back in Thailand? 

Try ignoring the TM 30  reporting in Chiang Mai and you will be rewarded with a minimum of 1600 baht fines. Pity the " head men" dont get together and have one rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Try ignoring the TM 30  reporting in Chiang Mai and you will be rewarded with a minimum of 1600 baht fines. Pity the " head men" dont get together and have one rule.

That is the biggest problem it seems. Each location seems to be able to interpret the rules (and apply them, or not) as they see fit. I'm not sure why the "top guy" can't send out a simple message saying that "this will be done this way and that will be done that way and that is it" and then all the "head men" would have to follow that direction. Especially for a quasi-military organization that has a specific chain of command to follow.

I've never been asked about the TM.30 (in Jomtien) and I've done numerous extensions and 90 Day reports since this topic became "hot" a couple years ago. A friend of mine had to pay the fine (at Jomtien) near the beginning of this year after he went there to specifically inquire about the TM.30. (He was on a Tourist visa, staying at a serviced apartment.)

I got the impression that they (Immigration) were only concerned about the TM.30 for "short term" visitors and that they weren't worried about the "long term" residents but again, it seems to change from place to place and day to day so who knows what rule will be enforced (or not enforced) at which location on the next day.

I'd say, if you can't afford to pay the 1,600 baht fine, then you'd be better off reporting to Immigration within 24 hours of getting "home". 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I'd say, if you can't afford to pay the 1,600 baht fine, then you'd be better off reporting to Immigration within 24 hours of getting "home". 

Good advice.  In Phuket (no help to the OP, unfortunately) one can report a return to your home online in the same manner as hotels, so that makes it much easier to comply with even the strictest interpretation of the rules (within 24 hours of arrival at the place you stay).

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

maybe you can explain to me why you gave me a sad face for my post ?   

13 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

I just went last week to register my address at Jomtien and they said that I must do it every time I leave the country and return.

Oh my Buddha, last time I came back to LOS, the lady at Immigration said not to bother reporting if I return to my same address here in Pattaya.....asked her twice and sent her to her supervisor....same answer....and she was telling everyone in line the same thing....lol....??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Oh my Buddha, last time I came back to LOS, the lady at Immigration said not to bother reporting if I return to my same address here in Pattaya.....asked her twice and sent her to her supervisor....same answer....and she was telling everyone in line the same thing....lol....??

I made sure to ask because there have been so many here on TV saying that they have been told not to report every time but wanted to be sure this was true. Now mind you this was from the girl that runs the front information desk so I am assuming her information is correct. She told me specifically that I would have to register my address every time even if I don't move. Do you think it has anything to do with the type of visa you are on? Maybe they don't bother those on the retirement visa but for others they are making them do this?

Edited by vinegarbase

1 hour ago, manfromcanada said:

I asked at the Jomtien immigration office a couple weeks ago and they told me that if I was returning to the same address there was no need to report.

I was at jomtien immi yesterday for re-entry permit, on way out asked lady at front desk for notification of address form, not required as I'm here on 1 year ext of stay. 

15 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I read so much conflicting information on this topic that I have given up trying to understand it all...

It seems different province to province.

I was told at Chaeng Wattana that I don’t need to make any report unless I change my address (and change of address needs to reported at the time of 90 day report if it is not reported by apartment), however I lived at my gf house. 

I traveled a few times out of Thailand and I never reported my return on arrival, no problem. 90 day reported successfully. 

I’d never done a report when I arrived home in Thailand for 10 years. After reading many conflicting posts about it on TV I decided maybe I should do it. So around 5 years ago I reported to immigration when I arrived back home from working overseas and the officer told me no need. He said as i have a retirement and multiple entry visa no need to report leaving or arriving to the immigration office. Only have to do the 90 day reporting if I’m here. Done my 90 day reporting yesterday and once again no issues. 

Maybe different offices have different rules, this was in Khon Kaen immigration and I must say over the years I have had no issue with them. 

Edited by Tongjaw
Spelling

If im correct then the one in Thailand, where you are staying, is responsible for your TM30 form.

Like hotel , family, landlord. To be processed within 24 hours.

However i was last year in Phuket and the owner of resort, ask me to come after SOME days later, to comply the registration.

She the reported me by computer. 

If you stay in time limit of tourist visa (30 or 60 days), there is no problem at all. Guess Thai know that.

But if you want to extend and the TM30 is not there, YOU get a fine ! And of course all extra hassle.  

And of course they WILL fine you. Guess you can bring it to the responsible one to get your money back?

Afterall it is the responsibility of the one where you are staying in Thailand ! Not you

On 9/12/2018 at 11:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

Within 24 hours of arriving at your residence. It is not from when she entered the country.

A nice clear, logical reply. Thank you. That being said I leave Pattaya to travel abroad twice a year and so far have never checked in at IO until my 90 days came up and never been queried. Same address for 3 years. Retirement extension. However, I know people who have been hassled but they were on a different visa.

11 hours ago, Kim J said:

No it is not different, it is the law and has been for a long time, all visitors to Thailand should be registered at their local immigration. The only difference is that some provinces do not enforce it or only enforce parts that suit. However here at Chonburi immigration I dare say someone has seen it as yet another lucrative means of extorting money from foreigners so have now started to make a fuss about it.

I use Chonburi IO. Very good, professional service. Nèver been hassled about 24 check ins or TM 30s.

• Like 1

In bkk I do 1 90 day report per year just before I apply for my annual extension because here that is their preferred proof of address for the extension.

I travel a lot so there is rarely 90 days between trips and the 90 day clock starts when you renter the country. My address is different every year and they do the change when I do the 90 day report so if my landlords are doing the  tm30 it is apparently not being processed.

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

In bkk I do 1 90 day report per year just before I apply for my annual extension because here that is their preferred proof of address for the extension.

I travel a lot so there is rarely 90 days between trips and the 90 day clock starts when you renter the country. My address is different every year and they do the change when I do the 90 day report so if my landlords are doing the  tm30 it is apparently not being processed.

Living in Bkk is not for me........But one good thing for you is that in CM you would be fined every time you did your 90 day or almost anything else if you did not have a tm30.....and went in to report EVERY time you left country and returned.   First TM30 is  supposed to be landlords responsibility,  but tenant in CM is the one fined if not done.

Don't shoot the messenger....just telling you how it is in CM.    So,  good bkk is not doing that (yet?)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

All you can do is go by what your Immigration Office asks you to do or failing that pay the fine. 

My Office told me in no uncertain terms that I was to report every time I left the residence to go anywhere else, even if it was for one night I had to go back in person and inform them on my within 24hours on my return.  It’s an hour away so a pain but tbh if that’s what they want that’s what I’ll do as the last thing I want to do in the future is to give them any grounds for causing me a problem when I come to extension applications. 

How would they know? When Im travelling up country small places never bother to look at my passport. Regarding the authoritarian CM IO, does the rule apply to people on retirement extension? Living in the same residence?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

How would they know? When Im travelling up country small places never bother to look at my passport. Regarding the authoritarian CM IO, does the rule apply to people on retirement extension? Living in the same residence?

All the got to do is check your passport when you apply for an extension. When you arrived , when you leave etc. I come and go all the time so would be an easy target. 

As I say each to their own bit personally I just do what they ask.