Sugar free drinks (apart from Coke/Pepsi)?

Andyfez

I've just come back from Australia where we enjoyed a variety of sugar free drinks.

They just don't appear to be stocked in Thailand. We even tried Villa Market with no luck.

Ignoring Coke Zero, and Pepsi Max, has anyone any suggestions where to buy?

I have been buying Malee 100% fruit juice from Makro.  Orange, grape, pineapple, apple etc..   It has no added sugar.  No carbs and very few calories.  (some other brands are loaded with sugar).

I also like to make ice tea with Lipton original tea which is available at most of the small convenient stores.  One tea bag in a mug then put in a pitcher full of ice, sometimes with lemon.

How strict are the Thai labelling laws ? I had always presumed the claims of no sugar didn't mean that much in a country were they can make some pretty ridiculous claims on packaging and advertising.

No added sugar, 100% juice, can mean nothing on a pack of juice made from concentrate as the concentrate is higher in sugar than the original juice was, or it can mean we (the factory reconstituting the juice) didnt add any sugar but the people who made the concentrate may have. Even a "freshly squeezed" juice can have higher sugar level, not by adding sugar but by removing water, often as easy as letting it settle and removing the water.

Added "fruit juice from concentrate" is added sugar. Juice that has had water removed (to make it sweeter) is higher in sugar and its still 100% juice..

"No Sugar" is water or artificial sweetener.

• Like 1

Being a Type 2 diabetic I have spent many hours studying carton labels to try and find sugar free fruit drinks. As previously mentioned Sugar free Coke and Pepsi are widely available. In Chiang Mai the Rimping Supermarket chain stocked Robinsons Sugar Free squashes but supply was erratic and they were very expensive. Maybe TOPS in the Central Complexes stock them. In recent times I have discovered that TIPCO offers "50% less sugar" mixed berry and apple juices. Unfortunately the Thais do like everything sweet - their mayonnaise and salad cream is dreadful.  

7 hours ago, action said:

I have been buying Malee 100% fruit juice from Makro.  Orange, grape, pineapple, apple etc..   It has no added sugar.  No carbs and very few calories.  (some other brands are loaded with sugar).

Fruit juices don't need added sugar when a 200ml glass of Mallee 100% juice already has around 20 grams (5tsp) of sugar... about the same percentage of sugar you find in regular Coca-Cola. Try cutting 50/50 with cold water. You do get used to the blander taste after a few days.

Coconut water has less sugar but always read the nutrition labels as not all brands are the same. Avoid coconut water blended with other juices e.g guava.

Malee 100% Pineapple juice.

image.png.d1699dbf1dd02c721890e1af73eea3d7.png

Fruit juices don't need added sugar when a 200ml glass of Mallee 100% juice already has around 20 grams (5tsp) of sugar... about the same percentage of sugar you find in regular Coca-Cola. Try cutting 50/50 with cold water. You do get used to the blander taste after a few days.

Coconut water has less sugar but always read the nutrition labels as not all brands are the same. Avoid coconut water blended with other juices e.g guava.

Malee 100% Pineapple juice.

image.png.d1699dbf1dd02c721890e1af73eea3d7.png

That mallee is 8% carbs so for a 200ml glass 16 grams carbs, maybe not all sugar. As usual the label isn't clear. 8% is actually quite low, 10% seems to be the golden sugar number i see a lot

10 hours ago, action said:

I also like to make ice tea with Lipton original tea which is available at most of the small convenient stores.  One tea bag in a mug then put in a pitcher full of ice, sometimes with lemon.

And what about the natural fructose?

21 hours ago, action said:

Those are all orange juice...maybe with 1% other juice for the name.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

Tops supermarket in Surin. Stock a range of sugar free drinks, labelled " HBD"

I have tried the peach and lemon flavored. they also have a kola

clearly states on the label "no sugar added"

I am type 2 diabetic

I don't know anything about it but i read that some fruits are good for diabetics...pulasan for example which is a rambutan with short hair.

17 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Also, a brain toxin (excitotoxin) think multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, etc. etc.

A yummy treat for the brain.?

Some people react so badly after drinking anything that contains aspartame. It has also been proved that it causes all the problems you mentioned. But big industries will find it is the cheapest sweet ingredient they can lay their hands on and make big profit margin.

They don't care if you die as long as you don't die immediately. Oh, you die of cancer 2 years down the road , ah anything can cause your cancer in that 2 years not really the aspartame in the soft drinks that you drink so often they say.

• Like 1

Here’s some true facts:-

Aspartame has been extremely controversial since its approval for use by several European countries in the 1980s. A 1996 report suggested a link between aspartame and an increase in the number of diagnosed brain tumours. However, the study had very little scientific basis and later studies showed that aspartame was in fact safe to consume.

The European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences published several long-term studies in 2006 and 2007 linking the consumption of aspartame with an increase in cancers – namely lymphomas and leukaemias – in rats.

Following these studies, the US National Cancer Institute conducted a study of nearly half a million people, comparing those who consumed drinks containing aspartame with those who did not. Results of the 2006 study found aspartame did not increase the risk of leukaemia, lymphoma or brain cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Some people react so badly after drinking anything that contains aspartame. It has also been proved that it causes all the problems you mentioned. But big industries will find it is the cheapest sweet ingredient they can lay their hands on and make big profit margin.
They don't care if you die as long as you don't die immediately. Oh, you die of cancer 2 years down the road , ah anything can cause your cancer in that 2 years not really the aspartame in the soft drinks that you drink so often they say.

Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide, with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut", but has been the subject of several controversies, hoaxes and health scares.

Since December 1998, a widely circulated email hoax has cited aspartame as the cause of numerous diseases.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There's some sugar free cold tea bottles available in every 7/11 it's actually quite good. (SHIZUZOKA, comes with sugar and non sugar versions), there's a few others but i can't recall the names)

You should avoid drinks with aspartame instead of sugar anyway, it's actually worst than sugar, not just because the controversial cancers risks but because it makes you fatter !

Your options are limited, teas, soda, waters, milk, damn i wouldn't like to have diabetes in Thailand, what a nightmare, everything here comes with enough sugar to kill an elephant.

Edited by Pepper9187