Xiaomi Pocophone

gaviny

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had mine for 5 days now and I am extremely happy with it.

It's very fast (I got the 6gb/64gb version), no hanging here, it flies. Old Samsung J7+ would sometime hang a bit during heavy browsing. 

I actually like the MIUI skin, not bad at all. There was a system update when I powered up the phone for the first time.

Fingerprint scanner works every time, like that it sits on the back under the cameras. The photo scanner for unlock only works in certain regions oddly enough. For UK location, it's dosen't, for Thailand it does, hmm.

Only one speaker in the bottom, the other one is a fake, ha-ha, okay sound but not something that will blow your socks off.

Cameras; not too bad either, very good in daylight, colors nice punchy, portrait mode works very good too on both cameras. I tried burst mode and it just fired off over 20 shoots with no signs of slowing down. I am still experimenting with nights shoots, looks that so far the J7+ are doing better in this regard but i am not finished testing yet. 

Conclusion (by an non phone expert): Extremely good value for money smartphone, got mine for 9990 baht, if you like this size; 6.18" and a phone that is fast, real fast, you can't go wrong with the Poco F1 phone in this price bracket and the big battery is a huge bonus. Perhaps if you want better camera specs you are better off with something else but I uses real cameras when going on holidays so don't care much about that. 

Un-edited shots in our garden & sons school last week, water mark "on".

image.thumb.jpeg.38e9ef3711ed7600eb46ae34c114959c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a06037bb85776cbbb72ec3d46f909796.jpeg

I've only had my Redmi Note 5A for three months and it's a great phone and does everything I need quickly and smoothly....but I'm looking at that Poco F-1 like I look at a perfectly grilled rib-eye.

Only thing I don't like and can't quite understand why they did it is the plastic back.  My last three Xiaomi phones have been all metal and I really like the solid feel of it.  Going back to a plastic backed phone somehow seems wrong.  

I'm thinking that maybe in six months or so, Xiaomi will do what they've done with every other model and come out with a number of variants.  Maybe one will be all metal and I will have just the excuse I need.

5 hours ago, dddave said:

I've only had my Redmi Note 5A for three months and it's a great phone and does everything I need quickly and smoothly....but I'm looking at that Poco F-1 like I look at a perfectly grilled rib-eye.

Only thing I don't like and can't quite understand why they did it is the plastic back.  My last three Xiaomi phones have been all metal and I really like the solid feel of it.  Going back to a plastic backed phone somehow seems wrong.  

I'm thinking that maybe in six months or so, Xiaomi will do what they've done with every other model and come out with a number of variants.  Maybe one will be all metal and I will have just the excuse I need.

From what I have read, it was more about what's under the hood rather than the body
There is a higher end model which I wasn't able to buy here in Thailand - the "Armoured/Armored Edition"

Would have gone for that if it was available, but timing of my last phone dying was a factor so I just grabbed the black version

But totally understand your concerns about the body dddave!

I was going to buy the F1 at 9990 but was put off by the plastic back.  If the Armoured variant becomes available maybe buy that but i guess it will be much more expensive.  I would rather pay a bit more and get one of the 2017 flagships like the Huawei Mate 10 which is down to @ 16,000.

On 9/16/2018 at 1:20 AM, dddave said:

If they launch one that's water resistant or maybe 5000 or 6000mah I'd buy it

I like battery life 

Current Version isn't enough to make me want it over my mate 10 pro

1 minute ago, Ks45672 said:

If they launch one that's water resistant or maybe 5000 or 6000mah I'd buy it

I like battery life 

Current Version isn't enough to make me want it over my mate 10 pro

In my experience with Xiaomi phones, they are notably  battery efficient.  After a full days general use, 7am to midnight, my Xiaomi's usually still have 60%+ remaining on the 3000mAh battery.  I don't play processor intensive games or watch long videos. 

8 minutes ago, dddave said:

In my experience with Xiaomi phones, they are notably  battery efficient.  After a full days general use, 7am to midnight, my Xiaomi's usually still have 60%+ remaining on the 3000mAh battery.  I don't play processor intensive games or watch long videos. 

The mate 10 pro also has 4000mah 

One of Fastest charging phones on the market

And is waterproof with a better camera

The poco cpu scores higher in benchmarks but I don't play games so it wouldn't benefit me much, real world usage and app opening speeds is roughly the same from the tests I've watched

Two posters who spend time in USA have pointed out that the Poco has very bad 4G coverage there.  I checked this out at Kimovil and was surprised to see just how bad the Poco is with the number of bands that it covers.  This is the first significant negative for the Poco, a pity, as I do not think that it costs much money for Xiaomi to include more bands covered by the phone.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:44 AM, daocat555 said:

Two posters who spend time in USA have pointed out that the Poco has very bad 4G coverage there.  I checked this out at Kimovil and was surprised to see just how bad the Poco is with the number of bands that it covers.  This is the first significant negative for the Poco, a pity, as I do not think that it costs much money for Xiaomi to include more bands covered by the phone.

Timely bit of information for me...Thanks.  I'm going to the US in a few days and was thinking of buying a Pocophone for my sister who needs a new phone.   Guess it's back to Motorola.

53 minutes ago, dddave said:

Timely bit of information for me...Thanks.  I'm going to the US in a few days and was thinking of buying a Pocophone for my sister who needs a new phone.   Guess it's back to Motorola.

Pocophone wasn't designed for North America so it is not much of a surprise it has left out some USA lte  bands and included the ones for China and India and Asia 

Many Reviews say it still works but drops back from lte to 4g or 4g to 3g depending on the carrier so it may be still fine to use on holiday 

This tool might help   :

https://willmyphonework.net

I always find that "will my phone work" site of limited help because they don't list many phone models, particularly newer phone models, as phones which they provide band info about.  For example I didn't see the Pocophone listed there.  I typically check Kimovil first, just put in the Country of interest and they give you a detailed description by Carrier and bands.

Dddave, don't panic, there are other choices than Motorola, although some of the newer Motorola phones are very nice.  Can you tell me what type of phone your sister is interested in?  Thin and light?  Big battery big screen?  Nice camera?  In the 10,000 baht price range of the Poco there are many options.  Is there a particular Motorola that you had in mind?

I guess you will be interested in a phone available in the Shops right now.

Thank you Henryford I was interested in finding that out.  It's LazMall which is generally as reliable and quick delivery as Lazada gets.  The 6/128 is the max that Poco gets right now, and you are not paying much extra for the Kevlar back.  I think that's the Poco to buy right now if anybody is on the fence about buying a Poco.  There is no telling how long Lazada's stock will last on this Edition.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:50 PM, dddave said:

Which provider does she use?

While the Pocophone looks to be a particularly bad match for the U.S. - maybe it was designed more for the India market (network-wise?), there are some other phones which might work well. The Xioami Mi A1 and A2 (Global variant) work well in the U.S. on T-Mobile and AT&T (and their MVNOs).

But very generally speaking, I'd buy a U.S. variant if spending the bulk of my time in the U.S. You can get unlocked phones at Bestbuy quite easily, and they do offer a decent range of Motorola phones. You can order on-line for a same-day store pick-up.

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Which provider does she use?

While the Pocophone looks to be a particularly bad match for the U.S. - maybe it was designed more for the India market (network-wise?), there are some other phones which might work well. The Xioami Mi A1 and A2 (Global variant) work well in the U.S. on T-Mobile and AT&T (and their MVNOs).

But very generally speaking, I'd buy a U.S. variant if spending the bulk of my time in the U.S. You can get unlocked phones at Bestbuy quite easily, and they do offer a decent range of Motorola phones. You can order on-line for a same-day store pick-up.

Thanks...Yes, Motorola is a possibility.  She really doesn't want to spend much more than $300. She is currently on Verizon but paying way to much for service she doesn't use so I may steer her to one of the many pre-pay plans that won't cost much more than $50/mo, currently paying more than double that.

Interesting about the Xiaomi A2...I'm a Xiaomi fanboy but did not know any of their phones had useful bands.  Last time I visited the US, my Note-4 would only get spotty 3G on AT&T.

I wonder if they are being officially sold in the US?

2 hours ago, dddave said:

so I may steer her to one of the many pre-pay plans that won't cost much more than $50/mo,

Personally, I would choose the provider/plan first, then buy a U.S. variant in the U.S. which works best on that network. You can get an unlocked Moto G6 for $250.

Buying a foreign phone, which will not work as well, and will offer no warranty protection, seems loopy to me.

You can get a decent plan - 6GB LTE, unlimited talk/text for $40/month.

Lazada sold out then got more of the 6/128 armoured edition Poco, and soon the 8/258 armoured edition is expected to be released along with the red colored Poco.  Good times for Poco enthusiasts as the 8/258 will most likely offer better gaming performance than, say, the Asus ROG phone which is probable more than twice as expensive. 

34 minutes ago, daocat555 said:

Lazada sold out then got more of the 6/128 armoured edition Poco, and soon the 8/258 armoured edition is expected to be released along with the red colored Poco.  Good times for Poco enthusiasts as the 8/258 will most likely offer better gaming performance than, say, the Asus ROG phone which is probable more than twice as expensive. 

Cheers for that update - good info

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 4:39 AM, dddave said:

My fairly new I phone just went back due to battery issues under warranty. I've had iPhones since the first, but becoming more leaning to buying something much cheaper. My iPhone was £1200 and it does far more than I need as only e mail take a few photos text and call. I sort of have some fear of changing as will have to start again with apps etc.

Patriot1066; consider that you could buy four Pocophones for the price of your iPhone, and think about switching to an Android phone.  I think the Android interface is very nice, and of course the hardware is much cheaper than Apple.

Since you mention $1,659 phones, the new Huawei Mate 20 Pro which is $1,040 at aliexpress (I don't know about British import duties) simple blows the doors off of the IPhone, so besides the excellent valued Poco there are a number of options in an Android phone. 

21 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

My fairly new I phone just went back due to battery issues under warranty. I've had iPhones since the first, but becoming more leaning to buying something much cheaper. My iPhone was £1200 and it does far more than I need as only e mail take a few photos text and call. I sort of have some fear of changing as will have to start again with apps etc.

One plus for considering a Xiaomi phone to replace your I-Phone is that you will find the Xiaomi user interface (Miui) very similar to the I-Phone system.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, daocat555 said:

Patriot1066; consider that you could buy four Pocophones for the price of your iPhone, and think about switching to an Android phone.  I think the Android interface is very nice, and of course the hardware is much cheaper than Apple.

Since you mention $1,659 phones, the new Huawei Mate 20 Pro which is $1,040 at aliexpress (I don't know about British import duties) simple blows the doors off of the IPhone, so besides the excellent valued Poco there are a number of options in an Android phone. 

$1659 for a phone is getting a bit ridiculous, even by apple standards.... And i read if you want the fast charger it's sold separately for $70 lol

Archived