Top cover came loose on Macbook Pro - what type of glue?

Sheryl

The top cover of my Macbook has come loose from the screen. The screen itself is fine. I thought it would be a simple enough affair to get it glued back on but one place states they can't do any sort of repairs on Apples anymore and 2 others insist that the whole screen piece must be replaced, which is absurd.

It is a matter of just gluing it back on around the edges, I'd do it myself if I were sure of correct glue to use. Any ideas?

For the moment it's being held on by scotch tape.....

hi sheryl,  I am not sure on repairing your macbook but if you want a rockhard glue used by hobbiest toy moddlers etc, its super glue (generic) mixed with baking soda.  The end result is like concrete , you can utube for instructions its very simple.

48 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I'm sure there must be special Apple Glue selling for $500 a tube at your nearest Apple Store.

Nah, they go for the "you have to let us take the whole screen off and install a new one" approach.

Is there any factor known to anyone that would make epoxy glue not a good idea in the vicinity of (but not directly on) the screen?

Since all the repair shops seem petrified to just glue this together I keep wondering if there is an actual reason why it is not that simple...

The only downside I would see with epoxy would be having to get it apart later.

Make sure you have everything you need before you start, including mixing, application, clamping and cleanup.

Nail polish remover should work for cleanup but try a little first in a small area to make sure it does not damage anything.

The big heavy-duty spring paper clips should make nice clamps.

Do a practice run without glue first, you only get one shot...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 8:15 AM, mogandave said:

The only downside I would see with epoxy would be having to get it apart later...

good ppint and enough to dissuade me from Epoxy.

In the end I used simple Pattex glue (dark yellow color, as that looks similiar to what was originally used).

Worked fine and so far (2 days later) no untoward effects. So much for "no, can't be done" from all the Apple repair places...????

Archived