Bangkok cop blames traffic on too many buses

snoop1130

I'm not saying it's a good idea to remove the buses, but I have empirical data on the subject.

I live in a city of more than 1 million people. Rush hour is quite severe and there's congestion. Not on the level of Bangkok, but at 5 pm it can easily take an hour to travel 5 km by car in the city.

We have public transport in many forms, mostly buses and underground trains in the city centre. Many years ago the bus drivers were on a strike which lasted about a week. No buses were driving on the streets. I was working in the centre of the city at the time. We thought traffic would be horrendous, because more people would have to use their cars to get to work. In fact, the opposite was true. Traffic flowed smoothly throughout the week. 

I am guessing that buses stopping all the time, having to be merged into the flow of traffic, is one reason. Another is that we have traffic signals which are controlled by the buses, giving some of them precedence over other traffic. I don't think that's the case in Bangkok.

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What's the issue?

If poor people were 'Good' people, they would have money and a car.

Clearly, they are not 'Good' people, therefore they should walk and allow the 'Good' people access to the road.

Duh!

(sarcasm alert)

Good thinking . I also agree with the implied fact that if they are poor they must be bad people. I also agreed with one famous Farang I couldn't remember his name, he said this world is overpopulated by 70 percent. If we get rid of the 70 percent the world's problem would be solved easily. Too much people interfering with mother nature he said. Must be true isn't it? By the look of it.

I heard about America's "Depopulation Plan" , "how's going Mr Trump, any success yet?"

Too many people in Bangkok, can't they just move out a little? Say 30 percent leave the city to live in the countryside. Or do they need Pol pot to draw up a plan for them?

9 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Sadly we no longer deal in facts, just opinions of people in authority, not to denigrate this officer's contribution.

My own feeling is that having lived in the centre of Tokyo, they have solved the traffic problem by implementing a few sensible ideas that cost nothing to implement. 

First, you should not be able to buy a car unless you have an off road parking space and you need to park your vehicle there.

Second ban all parking on all roads, and enforce the ban vigorously.

Third coordinate the traffic lights so that having waited two minutes to join a road you don't have to stop again.

Lastly clear all pavements of vendors and shop overspill, allowing pedestrians to use the pavement.

This is available at next to no cost.

Are japanese brains bigger, if they are bigger they think better and work out things better and therefore able to follow rules.Brain the size of golf ball causes traffic congestion- you got to agree with that. Oh I forgot golf ball brain plus big ego cause road rage.

The article concentrates on only one road while congestion exists throughout the complete city.  Over the last couple of years, and very recently, Lad Prao is in a very bad way and the mish-mash of flyovers, etc., just made things worse instead of better.  Now, the authorities are trying to come up with another scheme to resolve that mess.  Also, the policeman who wanted his five minutes of fame forgot one thing, as, it seems, did many of those making comments.  Nobody addressed the fact that, at the last publication of new cars entering the roadways every day, a few months ago, that number was 1500 a day.  Therefore why is it that only the busses are assigned as the "bad boys" in the story.  Looking at the pictures that were contributed during this discussion, there seems to be a lesser number of busses than what is being projected.  Either that or I need new glasses.

'nuf sed

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

According to Forbes, Bangkok is running at No. 2 as the world's worst city traffic, beaten only by Mexico City.

I'm sure if they try hard, they'll make it to No. 1.....!!

Hey, Thailand is concentrating on being #1 in per-capita road deaths.  They are not even padding numbers by claiming casualties en route to the hospital or very shortly thereafter.  If they wanted to master 2 disciplines, they'd do a biathalon thing - highway fatalities and shooting.

Archived