Tricky trader spraying "deadly aspirin" on squid to make them more attractive

webfact

Tricky trader spraying "deadly aspirin" on squid to make them more attractive

5PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A scientific site on Facebook has warned the public after a pharmacist posted about the actions of a disreputable trader.

The man was selling squid but to make them appear fresher and more palatable he was using a solution made up of aspirin to spray them. 

Sanook reported that the practice of salting limp squid to induce osmosis was common. 

But using aspirin could be deadly. 

People with an allergy to Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) could be in trouble when consuming the squid. 

Aspirin is an over the counter NSAID and people with allergic reactions to it can die. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-14

27 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

When i read the headline i thought it was a sort of squid dating site.

I dated one a long time ago. She constantly had her tentacles all over me... and in my wallet, too. I soon broke up with her although she'd never complained about headaches when I wanted to have sex. Perhaps she was sprayed with aspirin, which fortified her against inconvenient (for me) migraines. Luckily, I am not allergic to NSAIDs.

deadly might be for fish and such, which are very fragile to man made chemicals, but minute amounts eaten from squid won't be even noticed by human organism. 

when allergic people quickly learn, what is making them sick and won't eat more after the first symptoms

8 minutes ago, londonthai said:

deadly might be for fish, which are very fragile to man made chemicals, but minute amounts eaten from squid won't be even noticed by human organism. 

when allergic people quickly learn, what is making them sick and won't eat more after the first symptoms

Whether you know what is causing the anaphylaxis or not it is likely that you will stop eating due to the closing of the windpipe, not sure how you think that makes it OK to mislabel a drug as being a squid though.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

Satisfy your hunger and get rid of your headache.

Hub of gastronomy, kitchen of the world, medical hub....all combined into one.

It also keeps people from jumping the balconies leaving a nasty Carpaccio on the ground floor. Instead they pass out quietly in the convenience of their homes at the dining table. Now that's an achievement.

Maybe the traders should take a look at how the Japanese deal with catches of squid and how best to preserve them in the best condition before selling.

They have extensive knowledge of this product and certainly don't need to use aspirin!!

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

So how does that work exactly?

Did this “scientific” page on fb say?

Aspirin, being acidic, will keep things fresh longer as it will inhibit bacterial growth, throughout the world fish vendors have used hydrogen peroxide as it does the same.  Perhaps this vendor got the idea from flower sellers who add aspirin to water to aid longevity. 

Archived