Dams increase water release

snoop1130

Dams increase water release

By Suphot Kaewkasi

The Nation

39d7cf0fa25e1a34f246edc9bde231a8.jpeg

Kanchanaburi's Sri Nakarin Dam on Friday afternoon via http://water.egat.co.th/.

After heavy rain this week, Srinakarin Dam in Kanchanaburi's Sri Sawat district has increased its water-releasing by 1 million cubic metres per day until September 30, as it now contains 91.8 per cent its capacity.

Dam director Prasert Inthap said the dam would release 29 million cubic metres per day and the smaller downstream reservoir at Tha Thung Na would release about 32 million cubic metres until September 30. 

He said any change in the dam's water release would be notified to agencies and residents at least three days in advance. Dam checks would also be changed from twice a week to every day, he added. He said there was nothing to currently cause concern. 

Prasert said people could monitor the live feed of the dam athttp://water.egat.co.th or the EGAT Water app.

Vajiralongkorn Dam in Thong Pha Phum district, which now is at 94 per cent capacity, also said it would release 58 million cubic metres per day until September 30.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354489

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-14

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dam checks would also be changed from twice a week to every day, he added.

Twice a week to every day. Twice a week? I'm flabbergasted (I'm flabbergasted more than twice a week I'll tell you in this rather flabbergasting country/world where stupidity reigns).?

7 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How do you propose they do that

Nice of you to ask ? 

Interconnecting every major dam/reservoir in the country would be a good start, expensive yes, probably about the same price as a decent submarine! ?

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Nice of you to ask ? 

Interconnecting every major dam/reservoir in the country would be a good start, expensive yes, probably about the same price as a decent submarine! ?

I trust you are joking! If a single dam releases 58 million cubic feet of water per day, the size of the pipe needed to move that water would be huge and that's just a single dam.

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I trust you are joking! If a single dam releases 58 million cubic feet of water per day, the size of the pipe needed to move that water would be huge and that's just a single dam.

Cant we just give it a try? no need to be so dismissive ? 

What happened to the positivity that usually abounds on this forum! 

Your just letting facts mess with a perfectly good solution! ?

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

Nice of you to ask ? 

I am not sure about your engineering skills, like Simoh already said.. just think of the size of pipes and the power needed to bring water like that up stream. Its just impossible, if it was that easy it would have been done before and it certainly would not be the same price as a submarine.. if it were only true.

Just now, CGW said:

Cant we just give it a try? no need to be so dismissive ? 

What happened to the positivity that usually abounds on this forum! 

Your just letting facts mess with a perfectly good solution! ?

Yes, we are so bad we don't allow you to bash the Thai government based on your fantasy. If they really could do this and did not then you could bash them. But your solution is just not possible (or at least not economically feasible)

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I am not sure about your engineering skills, like Simoh already said.. just think of the size of pipes and the power needed to bring water like that up stream. Its just impossible, if it was that easy it would have been done before and it certainly would not be the same price as a submarine.. if it were only true.

If boat propellers can stop the sea from penetrating the Chao Prayo fresh water barrier, that same energy can be used to move the water between dams. I'm with CGW, let's give it a try.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes, we are so bad we don't allow you to bash the Thai government based on your fantasy. If they really could do this and did not then you could bash them. But your solution is just not possible (or at least not economically feasible)

Ok, better to do nothing.

PS. What "government" am I bashing?

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If boat propellers can stop the sea from penetrating the Chao Prayo fresh water barrier, that same energy can be used to move the water between dams. I'm with CGW, let's give it a try.

Excellent input, thats what we need the "can do" attitude, so a couple of turbines in the pipeline are going to be needed, we may need to model the pipeline using a flat earth model also, but were well on the way to success ? 

Funding may prove to be a problem?

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

Ok, better to do nothing.

PS. What "government" am I bashing?

Not sure what government because all of them did not do much. so no government in particular. Doing nothing is always better as doing something that is sure not to work. 

I am all for improvements, but realistic ones. Your scheme is akin to bringing ice bergs to the sahara, a nice plan but not feasible.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Excellent input, thats what we need the "can do" attitude, so a couple of turbines in the pipeline are going to be needed, we may need to model the pipeline using a flat earth model also, but were well on the way to success ? 

Funding may prove to be a problem?

The funding for the submarines has already been approved plus they have turbines AND they are the perfect shape - simply reverse them into the pipe and turn on the engines, job done.

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

Nice of you to ask ? 

But it is not just a case of interconnecting all the dams. If you take a look at a map of Thailand north to south is well over 1,200 km and less that in width. Would you dig klongs  which if left unmaintained would silt up and require dredging every year or use pipes?

A 2 metre internal diameter pipe just 1 metre long would hold only 3.14 cu/mt of water which will weigh just over 3 tons. If the pipe were 1 km or 1,000 metres long the weight of water would be over 3,14x tons.

The pump to move this amount of water would have to be enormous and many pumps would be needed to shift the outflow from just 1 dam so you would need extra pumping stations and extra power stations to drive them.

To dig the trench for the pipes it would have to be perhaps 3 metres wide and 3 metres deep which means the every 1 metre of trench forwards would mean removing 9 cu/mt of soil though after the pipe is laid perhaps 4 cu/mt of soil can be back filled leaving about 5 cu/mt to be disposed of per 1 metre in a forward direction.

Then you will need thousand of km of 2 metre pipes to be manufactured.

You will also need planning permission and compulsory purchase orders, EIA surveys etc. The cost in material and manpower will vastly exceed the submarine budget.

The theory is good but at this point it is impractical on cost grounds alone.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

It is not impossible but it is impractical.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is not impossible but it is impractical.

Its not feasible.. not even for rich 1st world countries.. it would be far to expensive. I am sure it could be done.. but the cost and effort would be too expensive. I should not have said impossible.. i should have said feasible. 

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The theory is good but at this point it is impractical on cost grounds alone.

I'm sure if we employ the right Thai contractors we can keep costs down while maintaining quality ?

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

does no one do satire any longer!

No! ?

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got that it was satire on your part.. and later the other guy started in satire too.. but at first I was not sure.

As a retired engineer I do have some idea of what this would entail, but I was very kindly asked for my proposal, is it do-able? of course it is, practicality & cost is another thing, thats for others to worry about!

Proposal #2 reinstate the flood plains, - may need to elevate Bangkok a couple of meters also?

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

As a retired engineer I do have some idea of what this would entail, but I was very kindly asked for my proposal, is it do-able? of course it is, practicality & cost is another thing, thats for others to worry about!

Proposal #2 reinstate the flood plains, - may need to elevate Bangkok a couple of meters also?

My apologies, some people really are not that bright and come with solutions that are just not feasible and bash Thais for not doing it. I am no engineer, but an accountant but I too have more then a bit of knowledge about how hard it would be to do stuff.

I believe that they did assign / make more flood plains after 2011 around Ayuttaya. What i know is that they have elevated roads so they could dam in low lying area's and use them as flood plains before the water reaches Bangkok. This is one of the few things they have done and it seems to work, since 2011 I have not been flooded again. I live a bit north of BKK (larger BKK area) and was flooded in 2011. Now in this area it never floods (never did before too), also the lower places in my area don't flood anymore.

I still think they need to do a lot more and each year I worry about flooding because I don't know the extent of the improvements since 2011. So I am a bit sensitive about flooding as I really don't want my home to flood again. 

15 minutes ago, CGW said:

The soil left over from the pipe trench backfill could be trucked to BKK and spread about to raise the ground level. ??

Better still knock some of the lumpy bits north of Saraburi and spread them around in Bkk.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am no engineer, but an accountant but I too have more then a bit of knowledge about how hard it would be to do stuff.

Accountant no more, you will CFO on this project - if it takes off & I have my way! ?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The soil left over from the pipe trench backfill could be trucked to BKK and spread about to raise the ground level.

Obvious candidate for procurement manager? start with the conveyor belt? that will need to be quite long! ?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I still think they need to do a lot more and each year I worry about flooding because I don't know the extent of the improvements since 2011

Reality is they are fighting nature & poor planning, its not if Bangkok will flood again more like when. (though hopefully not in your area!)

12 minutes ago, CGW said:

Accountant no more, you will CFO on this project - if it takes off & I have my way! ?

Obvious candidate for procurement manager? start with the conveyor belt? that will need to be quite long! ?

Reality is they are fighting nature & poor planning, its not if Bangkok will flood again more like when. (though hopefully not in your area!)

End of contract the procurement manager generally has the most expensive car in his garage.

??

13 minutes ago, CGW said:

My area is relatively high and far from water. It really won't flood unless you got a mess up the size of 2011.. and even then its not sure as they have now water catchment area's they did not have before. Still its a worry every rainy season. But the more years that pass that I keep my feet dry the more faith i get. ?

Archived