Thai Girls are So Pretty, Feminine and Quiet....Till the Screeching starts

Nyezhov

As a addendum to the feet post...

So today I'm in a multi stall food Paradise, as usual, fat befuddled and sweating in the heat, trying to use Google Translate while dripping on my phone. It was chicken I needed, and chicken I was going to get and being the disgusting lech as I am I made a beeline for the hottest chicken seller in the place. She was very nice and sweet  besides being attractive (her feet were hidden by the table) and she smiled at my pathetic efforts to speak Thai. we were having this lovely conversation in gibberish, when all of a sudden I hear there's a voice from the next stall over that sounded like a crow cawing. My sweet little chicken seller opened up right back at the screech with heavy decible  NOOOM KAW GAW LAAAAAAW NAAAAA CAWWW NAAAAA here your chicken kop kun ka LAAAAAAW NAAAAA GAAAA LOOOOONG CAAW NAAAAAA 

like at the top of her lungs! Then a whole bunch of them chimed in shouting NAAA and NEH and WAAAH,etc.

Now most of my experience with Thai girls is rentals, but I do have a hiso BFF who always has been very quiet and demure. And quite frankly, sometimes I find the Thai language to be quite musical when not shouted at the top of one's lungs.

Why do they do that? Is that a cultural thing? I  fired off a line message to my friend and asked her why Thai ladies are so loud and her response was that I was hanging around "ban nok". She also told me that since I was a fat old falang I would only get a "ban nok" so get used to it. 

Why are they so loud sometimes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I also think it's a ban nok thing. They seems to be having a contest to get some attention by seeing who is the loudest. Also when on the phone they are often shouting, I guess to cover the distance between BKK and esan. It's several hundred kilometres, you know! 

I suspect obnoxiousness is a compulsion across the human spectrum, judging by human behaviors, both here and in our home countries. Education levels seem to have something to do with it, though not always. People seem to be absolutely enamored by the sound of their own voices (and reflections), to our never-ending chagrin. ?

As Im sat here in the US with Mrs G, suffering watching her Lakorn, with the usual complement of screaming, face slapping, I contemplating if art is reflecting reality or the other way around.

Having been on the receiving end of Mrs G's screaming tirades I'm on the art reflecting reality.

I think it's in their DNA lol

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are they louder than Americans?

Yeah, unless you hang in the Hood.

31 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Try getting your hi/so Thai female BFF upset some time and you are bound to be disillusioned......

I carried her stone cold drunk out of a bar in Vientiane one night...like over my shoulder because she couldn't walk and she was still calm and slurred demure.

But I'm not married to her thank God.

On the other hand, she was scaring the Tuk Tuk guy just by what she was saying in a drunken quiet fashion. I asked him what she said and he said "Thai Mafia, be careful".

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I carried her stone cold drunk out of a bar in Vientiane one night...like over my shoulder because she couldn't walk and she was still calm and slurred demure.

On the other hand, she was scaring the Tuk Tuk guy just by what she was saying in a drunken quiet fashion. I asked him what she said and he said "Thai Mafia, be careful".

If he was talking about her then I would say  "Be very careful."    Having dangerous friends is all good and well until someone gets unhappy.

3 hours ago, fullcave said:

Yes, I also think it's a ban nok thing. They seems to be having a contest to get some attention by seeing who is the loudest. Also when on the phone they are often shouting, I guess to cover the distance between BKK and esan. It's several hundred kilometres, you know! 

Well, my beautiful Thai wife lives with me in Tasmania, and I swear she doesn't need a telephone to chat with our family in Korat, and for some reason always feels the need to speak to ancient mother (who is deaf as a post anyway) as soon as I switch on the golf or the rugby on TV. Many years ago, I served in an aircraft carrier with the loudest flight deck broadcast system in the world at that time, you could hear it 12 miles away in Plymouth when the wind was southerly, but I swear it had nothing on my wife having a phone chat with her relatives in Issan! Yet unless she has a telephone to her ear, she is normally quietly spoken, save the odd occasion where I have misbehaved of course. So maybe it is just Issan folk who shriek down the phone?

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What exactly do you mean by that first comment?

Actually, i think it's an Eastern thing. Growing up in London, we had Greek Cypriot neighbours, who were lovely generous people and great friends to  my parents and me. BUT, when the lady of the house had a quiet conversation, the entire neighbourhood heard it! So much so that my father joked that when she talked to her family in Cyprus, she didn't need a phone - just open the door!  ?

When I started to travel in my teens, i noticed that as one went further east, people just got louder - a few years in the Middle East promoted that theory and travelling around SE Asia confirmed it!

Of course, they may be wondering why we strange Westerners all whisper to each other.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Sailor42 said:

Well, my beautiful Thai wife lives with me in Tasmania, and I swear she doesn't need a telephone to chat with our family in Korat, and for some reason always feels the need to speak to ancient mother (who is deaf as a post anyway) as soon as I switch on the golf or the rugby on TV. Many years ago, I served in an aircraft carrier with the loudest flight deck broadcast system in the world at that time, you could hear it 12 miles away in Plymouth when the wind was southerly, but I swear it had nothing on my wife having a phone chat with her relatives in Issan! Yet unless she has a telephone to her ear, she is normally quietly spoken, save the odd occasion where I have misbehaved of course. So maybe it is just Issan folk who shriek down the phone?

Exactly all you said except in Victoria. I think you have nailed it. 

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

If he was talking about her then I would say  "Be very careful."    Having dangerous friends is all good and well until someone gets unhappy.

thats why she is a friend only. Im not playing boom boom with a Mafia Princess whose Daddy is a Police General. She married a young Euro stud anyway, guess who is the boss?

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, because nowhere else are they loud...

Well if they arent, then they arent "ghetto" are they? Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Or to show some alleged moral superiority? Google Hood Rat Girl Fights. Google Ghetto Girls. 

You ever been to the hood? You ever been the only white guy in a 6 block area? Ever been to a Black Club? Do you know any Ghetto folks?

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well if they arent, then they arent "ghetto" are they? Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Or to show some alleged moral superiority? Google Hood Rat Girl Fights. Google Ghetto Girls. 

You ever been to the hood? You ever been the only white guy in a 6 block area? Ever been to a Black Club? Do you know any Ghetto folks?

30 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, because nowhere else are they loud...

To your questions, yes, yes, yes, and yes. And unsurprisingly, it doesn’t make your thinking any less appalling, or Bluespunk any less right. 

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes to a lot of those questions.

That's why I know you are wrong.

Archived