Pulled aside and grilled at BKK about visa history.

26 minutes ago, bkk321 said:

I will pay close attention in future. Can I ask, will I have problems extending given the note he put on my record for staying "too long" on tourist visas. In there opinion of course.

No you will not have a problem since their is probably no such note. As far as I know there is no provision for putting such a note in immigrations system.

18 hours ago, bkk321 said:

I will pay close attention in future. Can I ask, will I have problems extending given the note he put on my record for staying "too long" on tourist visas. In there opinion of course.

As UJ said, the supposed "note in the system" may be just a bluff.  But just to be on the safe-side, be sure to apply for any extension a few days before your permission to stay expires.  Up to 7-days in-advance is generally OK to apply for an extension to a Tourist-type entry at most offices (high-season policy may vary, and/or require showing up very early).

In case of any problem with the extension - related to this incident or otherwise (TM-30 paperwork, etc - varies by office) - applying early gives you time to avoid an overstay, which would be noted in your immigration-record.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:52 AM, JackThompson said:

As UJ said, the supposed "note in the system" may be just a bluff.  But just to be on the safe-side, be sure to apply for any extension a few days before your permission to stay expires.  Up to 7-days in-advance is generally OK to apply for an extension to a Tourist-type entry at most offices (high-season policy may vary, and/or require showing up very early).

In case of any problem with the extension - related to this incident or otherwise (TM-30 paperwork, etc - varies by office) - applying early gives you time to avoid an overstay, which would be noted in your immigration-record.

OK thank you for the help, JackThompson.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:48 AM, The manic said:
On 9/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, bkk321 said:

Whats the VIP imm service upon arrival? Sounds good!

You pay to be meet and greeted, put on a golf cart, then driven to VIP/Crew/ BC passport control. You are often helped with your bags at the Carousel. 

Is that service still available?  Recent threads have indicated the rules have changed and the service has been discontinued except for first and business and Elite passengers.

I'm asking, not trying to make a point...

On 9/19/2018 at 4:27 PM, Chivas said:

You unwittingly red flagged yourself saying you had an online business. Whilst we all know that can mean virtually anything that will be one of their "flags" 100% going forwards

Just get tourist visas next few trips

That's good advice, and handy if one's travel plans happen to include a city where there's a friendly consulate that issues TV's to non residents.  But it's a minefield unless you're willing to take a few days out of a trip, pay for a flight to such a city (and select the right one), pay out all the other expenses associated with a multi-day stay AND have the documents needed to get the TV.

Since my trips usually originate in China, where the consulates are reluctant to issue TV's to non-residents, that represents a huge cost and inconvenience.  So I take my chances with visa exempt, always loaded with enough cash and a return ticket, and packed as if I'll be turned away.  Hasn't happened yet in about 8 arrivals in 2 years.  Knock on wood.

Even if I do get turned away on my next arrival, it's better than having done the SETV thing 9 times, costing 3 weeks of my life and several thousand $$$.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Is that service still available?  Recent threads have indicated the rules have changed and the service has been discontinued except for first and business and Elite passengers.

My wife and I used it 3 weeks ago coming back from the USA in economy class.  Cost about $180 for the two of us.  We are old so worth it for us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mojaco said:
2 hours ago, impulse said:

My wife and I used it 3 weeks ago coming back from the USA in economy class.  Cost about $180 for the two of us.  We are old so worth it for us.

Thanks for the update.  Which company did you use?  There's one of them I have never been successful at engaging.  They're either booked, or they come back and cancel, even days after accepting my bookings.  I won't mention their name due to defamation laws...

$160 is definitely worth it when 5 777's full of tourists land at the same time.  But the numbers are murkier when the lines are 5 minutes- which has been my experience on several arrivals.  It's a shame nobody posts one of those graphs that show the typical waiting times at various times of the day and week...

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Thanks for the update.  Which company did you use?  There's one of them I have never been successful at engaging.  They're either booked, or they come back and cancel, even days after accepting my bookings.  I won't mention their name due to defamation laws...

$160 is definitely worth it when 5 777's full of tourists land at the same time.  But the numbers are murkier when the lines are 5 minutes- which has been my experience on several arrivals.  It's a shame nobody posts one of those graphs that show the typical waiting times at various times of the day and week...

The company we used was asiafasttrack.com.  I just looked up the actual cost and it was $198 for the two of us, but that included an elective buggy ride from the airline to Immigration.  I think that ride cost about $20 of that $198.  Here is what they do:

"Arrival:  On arrival our greeter will be waiting at the airbridge (or if a bus is used, where arriving passengers step out into the immigration hall).  The greeter will be holding a welcome name board showing the Lead Passenger name.  They will lead the passengers direct to immigration area for fast tracking, on to baggage reclaim and finally through customs and to a driver.  

Arrival Buggy :   If your aircraft stops at a remote parking bay, an airline bus will bring you directly to the immigration area entrance where the agent will meet and assist you to the Premium Fast Track Lane and your booked buggy service will not be used ."

We didn't have to do anything.  The greeter took our passports, disappeared with them for about 15 minutes while we were comfortably seated in the area, returned and took us through a special lane (VIP lane?) with one pleasant (male) officer and no one waiting at the time, then to the baggage room and took our baggage to the taxi area. 

Well worth it for us,

Morris

Edited by mojaco
revised wording slightly
  • Like 1