Aeroflot airlines?

mockingbird

8 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

I flew on this airline as a Charter flight from Bangkok to Moscow.  Later I learned they had the worst safety record of any airline.  This flight was $1000 total for me and my Thai wife and it took us 7 days to get to NY from Bangkok.  Spent 3 days in Moscow.  I remember a stop in Pakistan,  spent a day in Denmark, a day in Iceland and I am sure we also stopped in Hong Kong and missed the transportation to the hotel and the hotel sent a Mercedes to the airport to pick us up.

Yeah but did you get your air miles.......

22 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I also remember the IL 96 in business it looked more like an old movie theatre with a big screen with curved corners.

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Used them in 1994 when they had an IL96 (think it was)  on the Moscow Bangkok leg. I swear to god it scraped its arse after trundling down the runway for over 2 minutes.

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

This monstrous Russian build plane could hardly lift off, and everything was shaking during the for ever lasting take off run. I figured out that big video-projector way over my head, in a cabin sized like made for transporting armored military vehicles, could fall right down on me. The man sitting next to me was a Russian airplane construction engineer, he also didn't like it; made me feel better, I was not alone. When we were finally airborne, a huge babushka of a stewardesse came with a catering trolley, and asked if we wanted chicken or pork; everybody got fish, smelling fish. On the way to Bangkok we got a pillow at sleeping time, on the way back, a blanket instead.

17 hours ago, drayger said:

20 years ago on IL 96 from Moscow to Bangkok it was the only time I had been scared to get on a plane didn't look like it would stay in the air for a 10 hr flight. At take off I honestly thought the pilot had found a overland route as it took so long to lift off.

All the big Ilyushin planes suffered from the same problem, the Soviets were no good at plastics and composite materials. The IL-96 looked so huge inside because it lacked the central overhead luggage rack, that's why there was the huge movie screen on the bulkhead. To compensate there was that big downstairs storage area where you could leave carry on luggage and coats. I remember the tray tables were all aluminium, and the toilets were stainless steel with wooden seats. So the planes were heavy, which is why they had to trundle the whole length of the runway before taking off, and then seemed to be climbing forever before they reach cruising height.

Food option was always (probably still is) "chicken or fish", and yes the fish always stank, which is why the chicken option always ran out first.

My favourite Soviet aircraft was the Tupolev Tu-154 my least favourite, and the one I always tried to avoid, was the Yakovlev Yak-40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 2:46 PM, Laza 45 said:

I remember a few years ago they banned cooking with little gas stoves on board.. should be ok now... 

I flew from Stalingrad to St. Petes once and there was a goat on the plane. And yes I know its Volgograd, but historically.....

• Haha 1