Electric vehicles on the fast track in Thailand

webfact

Electric vehicles on the fast track in Thailand

By JINTANA PANYAARVUDH 
THE NATION

295eb23dc91fc9f1f9e59bec70c86ef3-sld.jpe

Amonrat Kaewpradap, second from right and Jumpote Himacharoen, second from left. speak at a panel discussion on “The future of Electric Vehicle in Thailand” yesterday.

EXPERTS see bright prospects for electric vehicles (EV) in Thailand with all concerned agencies pursuing the government’s goal of getting 1.2 million units on the road by 2036.

There are many reasons and data behind the confidence of success, a seminar was told yesterday.

The rising number of registered EVs, the development of a locally made EVs, as well as research and development of some EV parts are indications that it could have a major role in Thai society, said Amonrat Kaewpradap, a committee member of the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), at a panel discussion yesterday titled “The future of Electric Vehicle in Thailand”.

The discussion was held as part of the Delta Future Industry Summit, organised by Delta Electronics (Thailand), as a venue for exchanging innovative ideas for a sustainable future.

Amornrat said the number of EVs in use in Thailand was gradually increasing, leading to the continuous growth of infrastructure of charging stations. 

“More stations will boost the confidence for consumers in using EVs and so far, there are 500 charging stations in the country, she said.

7735427dd48e0cffda7ebdb269822ba0.jpeg

She pointed out that the accumulated number of EV registrations in Thailand for Battery Electric Vehicles [BEV] and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) sharply increased from 2016 to 2017.

In 2016, there were 80,194 registrations but the number surged to 102,700 in 2017, or an increase of 20,000 units.

Incentives will bring down price

Another indication is the higher imports of EVs, she said, adding that more BEV motorcycles were sold these days, pointing to its popularity. 

Moreover, EV manufacturers are hiking production amid increasing demand from buyers. 

Also, educational institutions have launched development projects for EV battery, motors and the structure of a light-weight car.

She believes the price of EVs could come down in the future as the government will support its usage with incentives.

Jumpote Himacharoen, director of research and development, Metropolitan Electricity Authority [MEA], said the power agency would provide sufficient electricity to serve the targeted number of EVs.

MEA has recently launched an online application on the locations of EV charging stations for the convenience of drivers. 

In a separate panel discussion titled “A Decade into the Future: Predictions for Thai Cities”, participants said smart cities would be the cornerstone of the country’s future urban landscape, with significant investment from the government and private sector.

Pansak Siriruchatapong, the vice minister of the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, said the government would expand its smart city project to three more provinces – Chon Buri, Rayong and Chaochengsao – on the Eastern Economic Corridor this year.

Currently, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Bangkok are the cities earmarked for the pilot programme.

“Within the next five years, Thailand will develop smart cities in all 77 provinces,” he said.

He added the two factors driving the development of smart cities are the engagement of community and local government and the connectivity and sharing information with technology solutions.

However, Piyapan Tayanithi, Bangkok Bank’s executive vice president, warned that smart or high-technology is a double-edged sword, and back-up measures were needed in the event of malfunctions. 

Piyapan cited an incident late last month when banks’ electronic money transfers, withdrawals and payment services crashed for several hours. 

The banks attributed the cause to heavy interbank money transfers at the end of the month at large banks.

“Simplicity or convenience of a group of people could come along with difficulty or complexity for another group [of people],” he said.

5be162406d52651604192ca54835d7bf.jpeg

Hsieh Shen-yen, president of Delta Electronics (Thailand)

Hsieh Shen-yen, president of Delta Electronics (Thailand), said: “We are currently witnessing the decline of old technologies such as gasoline cars and the gradual shift to smarter, cleaner technologies to power our lives and manage our cities.

“But the shift to the future will only gain real momentum when the public and private sectors work together and get serious about action for climate change and managing urbanisation,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30354739

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-19

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Hsieh Shen-yen, president of Delta Electronics (Thailand), said: “We are currently witnessing the decline of old technologies such as gasoline cars and the gradual shift to smarter, cleaner technologies to power our lives and manage our cities.

Because people wanted their cell phones and other electronic devices to last longer.  The auto industry has been forced into electric car production and the oil companies are not happy either. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

1.2 million units on the road by 2036.

Far too long and far too few.  China has that number already.  US has more than half that number now.  Gee, the hub of electric cars it aint.  Not even approaching decent lip service.  20K is pretty good for Thailand under military leadership.   One home grown EV I saw was an abandoned bus some years ago around RCA.  It was really good looking, but covered in dirt. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

I totally love the idea of affordable, clean electric cars. However, I don't think that electric cars are an option in countries where the thermometer dips below - 10 C, or even below the freezing point.

In my experience working outdoors with handheld radios and flashlights, frozen batteries don't last very long.

So, I don't think we will ever see a surge of electric cars in the Nordic countries...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, carerra said:

I can tell LazySlipper that the temperature is far below -10 degrees celsius in winter, and the EV cars work well. 

Just out of curiosity, how long does the car keep its charge?

I am somewhat skeptical to the use in countries like mine, but do have an open mind.

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Almost noise free and without releasing toxic fumes into the air.

and extremely wasteful of the potential energy they converted which unless solar or wind or wave  generated is just a total waste of time

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I totally love the idea of affordable, clean electric cars. However, I don't think that electric cars are an option in countries where the thermometer dips below - 10 C, or even below the freezing point.

In my experience working outdoors with handheld radios and flashlights, frozen batteries don't last very long.

So, I don't think we will ever see a surge of electric cars in the Nordic countries...

More Tesla electric cars are sold in Norway per capita than any other country. If the are housed indoors at night they shouldn't have a problem.

4 minutes ago, kannot said:

and extremely wasteful of the potential energy they converted which unless solar or wind or wave  generated is just a total waste of time

It doesn't really matter what you say....electric cars are the future and eventually the power will come from solar creating a less polluted world.

• Like 1

I run an EV in Australia and Power it from 8 solar PV panels. The car (a Ford Focus) has 40 clicks on the clock and give me 135km range if I don’t hammer it, a little more on highway only driving. These cars are ideal for Thailand depending on your useage. I charge my  car anytime it’s at home and the odd time when I’m on a longer trip, I can manage by charging in any 240V 13Amp outlet.

The point I would correct in the article is the number of vehicles by 2030. They will be way higher than that. If you want to learn more on the future of EVs, “Tony Seba” is well worth a google. His lectures are very informative and he has been correct with so many predictions on future disruption.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

It doesn't really matter what you say....electric cars are the future and eventually the power will come from solar creating a less polluted world.

lets see an electric passenger airliner not a 20  minute  single prop plane or and electric truck and not some  tesla BS.

11 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

I run an EV in Australia and Power it from 8 solar PV panels. The car (a Ford Focus) has 40 clicks on the clock and give me 135km range if I don’t hammer it, a little more on highway only driving. These cars are ideal for Thailand depending on your useage. I charge my  car anytime it’s at home and the odd time when I’m on a longer trip, I can manage by charging in any 240V 13Amp outlet.

The point I would correct in the article is the number of vehicles by 2030. They will be way higher than that. If you want to learn more on the future of EVs, “Tony Seba” is well worth a google. His lectures are very informative and he has been correct with so many predictions on future disruption.

What does 40 clicks mean, is that the odometer reading or top speed ? How long does a recharge take ?

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What does 40 clicks mean, is that the odometer reading or top speed ? How long does a recharge take ?

means he has to drive like a tortoise to not go very far, charging will depend on his  "supply" and fast charging will consume a lot of juice.

22 minutes ago, Mansell said:

More Tesla electric cars are sold in Norway per capita than any other country. If the are housed indoors at night they shouldn't have a problem.

You guys keep saying Norway. One country is hardly a dip in the bucket.

Canada will never go for it, nor do I think Russia will etc...

Norway is a lot richer per capita than Canada and other countries. Give other examples other than just one country and then your argument will start to tip the scale...

Electric cars, Buses,trucks ,boats,planes,,, what a Joke    Where does one think the Electric power comes from Coal fired oil fired, Diesel fired Generators/Alternator.  And maybe a little Water and wind powered  Plants.Oh one more small thing ,How many electric cars are going to run out of power in Hours+ traffic Jams Running the Aircon/Fans in this Tropic Climate.

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I cant see the point with electric vehicles unless they are charged with solar/wind etc. Otherwise you are just moving the pollution etc from the car to the fossil fuel power station. 

True, but even if every kilowatt going into the EV is generated by burning fossil fuels, EV's are still 40% cleaner than regular cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Silence, seems to be the answer so far. ??

I live halfway near pranburi feel free to drop in I only have 1  phase , it  goes off and on most days can be 240 or 100v should be hilarious

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1