How to Restore Teak Outdoor Furniture etc

CNX69

Hello, 

I have no clue how to do it. There is plenty on google but i need real and practical Thai restoration. 

If you have done any projects big or small, would you please post step by step info including before and after pictures. 

Thanks 

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

youtube.com has many step by step vids it's not rocket science. ?

"There is plenty on google but i need real and practical Thai restoration"

How likely do you think it is that the OP found your response useful?

fast and easy. no sanding, etc. wet the furniture down with water. mix a solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate) in a 19 liter bucket of water. take a scotchbrite pad, dip it in the tsp and wipe down/scrub the entire piece of furniture. rinse with fresh water. let dry one day and then re coat with clean motor oil and diesel mix. 3 parts motor oil, one part diesel. put this on in the morning and check the furniture after a couple of hours. if there are some noticeably dry spots, recoat with the oil mixture. check it again in the late afternoon. if there are any wet spots , wipe them off with a clean cloth. let dry and you're good for another year. Sorry i don't have any photos . no reason to have any. i have been doing this to all types of wood furniture, door, lamps , etc. for over 30 years. if you don't know where to buy tsp, pin me and i will give you the address where i get mine in Chiang Mai. I live in Phuket so they mail it to me.

36 minutes ago, arby said:

fast and easy. no sanding, etc. wet the furniture down with water. mix a solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate) in a 19 liter bucket of water. take a scotchbrite pad, dip it in the tsp and wipe down/scrub the entire piece of furniture. rinse with fresh water. let dry one day and then re coat with clean motor oil and diesel mix. 3 parts motor oil, one part diesel. put this on in the morning and check the furniture after a couple of hours. if there are some noticeably dry spots, recoat with the oil mixture. check it again in the late afternoon. if there are any wet spots , wipe them off with a clean cloth. let dry and you're good for another year. Sorry i don't have any photos . no reason to have any. i have been doing this to all types of wood furniture, door, lamps , etc. for over 30 years. if you don't know where to buy tsp, pin me and i will give you the address where i get mine in Chiang Mai. I live in Phuket so they mail it to me.

Instead of TSP (you will get a blank stare when asked for it in your local hardware shop - Arby, a Thai name would be more useful) just use a brass brush that is widely and cheaply available. You will then only need your own elbow oil, just as with the scotch brute. 

Then after the Arby mixed oil work has dried, apply one or 2 or more coats of shellac, that will seal the oil work. Better not to have your furniture set in direct sunlight, otherwise you will have to redo this process in less than 6 month.

3 hours ago, Faikham said:

If you or OP watches the many vids on Teak wood restoration methods he could easily undertake the work.

Once OP has all the listed equipment to hand the task is mostly preparation.

Before and after video footage can be seen which is better than writing it down in a post IMO.

I have a house and garden full of teak furniture that I have collected over 30 years. I love teak and expect it to last my lifetime and several more.

How you treat it depends on what it is, whether new teak or old, and of course what kind of finish you want. There are many ways to do it and I have found that every craftsman I have discussed this question with has his own favourite method.

Must say I’ve never heard of using motor oil and wouldn’t try that personally on my prescious furniture.

Here’s what I do:

* Teak external doors, made new from mature teak wood.

Place on a ‘horse’ horizontally and do one side at a time. Sand thoroughly with at least two grades of sand paper from rough to fine. Then wipe off using a microfiber cloth.

Choose a colour of shellac that suits your taste (for example yellow teak). Shellac can be bought from Baan Tawai, local builders merchants and even Home Pro. Coat twice using a ‘rubber’ or rag. Learn how to do it online. This seals the wood and adds colour.

Brush on 3-5 coats of good quality external polyurethane, sanding lightly between coats (very important for adhesion and smooth finish). You can choose matt, semi-gloss or gloss finish. This should last for several years in full sun before recoating.

* Patio furniture that is not exposed to full sun or rain.

Clean out any bees and bugs. Sand down using at least two grades of sand paper from rough to fine. Then wipe off with a microfiber cloth. I also then rub down with a solution of 90% water and 10% white vinegar to make sure there is no lingering grease. Use a cloth and wring it well (it should be damp, not wet). Let it dry then rub down again with water only to remove any acidic residue.

Buy soft white wax from Baan Tawai or from some woodwork supplier shops (there’s one on Mahidol Raod for example). Mix this with a little TOA TYPE-P, T-8500 quick drying black gloss. This is a bitumen product used extensively for darkening wood. Mix only a little into the wax and test the colour before applying to the furniture. Best to apply it with a soft cloth quite thinly, then buff it up with a clean cloth. You can add several coats to build up a sheen. This will last only about six months before you need to apply a single thin coat of wax again. Very easy and quick to do. leaves a lustrous finish that you'll see on much of the furniture sold in Ban Tawai shops.

* Outdoor furnitute full exposure to the elements

Many people just leave teak wood without any treatment. It turns that characteristic grey colour and looks ‘classic’. But if you want a finish here’s what I do:

Clean out the bees and bugs.

Sand it down and wipe off.

Paint with an external wood stain of the desired colour. This seals and protects and of course adds colour.

Then paint 3-5 coats of yacht varnish with a brush. I use TOA T-9500, sanding lightly between coats. This should last for several years and will give a rich smooth beautiful finish.

Good luck with your project. It takes time but is very rewarding.

24 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Paint with an external wood stain of the desired colour. This seals and protects and of course adds colour.

All of your advice is good apart from the above, because in thailand products called wood stain are usually brown paint and completely cover any grain or natural beauty of the wood that you put them on.

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Many people just leave teak wood without any treatment. It turns that characteristic grey colour and looks ‘classic’.

Exactly, teak furniture is best left alone, our outdoor furniture is 8 years old and apart from cleaning mildew at the bottom of the legs we never touch it.

18 hours ago, Faikham said:

I've found the YouTube info on cleaning and restoring teak wood/furniture very helpful and practical.

• Like 1