Blue housebook - blue tabien baan

I have always heard that thai have blue housebook and falang have yellow housebook.... BUT from time to time it comes up that apartment (condo-owners) let say down in Pattaya mention to me that they have a blue book....

I try to ask them if that is really true, but it is hard to get an straight answer probably because they can not read the contents..

My question to you guys, is there anyone who can explain to me if condoowners actually are registrered in the blue book and consequently are an exception to the rule of falang yellow book etc..

Plse help me..

thanks

glegolo

• Like 1

If the foreigner is registered then they will have a yellow book and a blue book, their name being in the yellow book. 

If they only only have a blue book it means they’re not registered as residing there. 

For stuff like getting a driver’s license or getting a loan it’s very useful to be able to show one’s name in a yellow book. 

• Like 2

You automatically get a Blue Book when you purchase a condo, however, as mentioned, it does not, nor will it ever,  have your name, as a foreigner, in it.

as stated, you can apply for a Yellow Book, which will have your name in it. This is not automatically given, you have to apply for it. This can involve jumping through hoops depending on which area you happen to live in.

Someone said you get a Yellow Book “if registered “ I have no idea what this actually means, since it is highly unlikely  ( extremely difficult ) to be registered as a Thai resident .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I have neither a blue book, a yellow book nor a pink ID card and my life in Thailand runs very smoothly at all times, they are I believe much overhyped, an accessory to confirm to strangers that they live in Thailand and operate within the system and know everything about the country, nod nod wink wink.

I can’t see any negatives in having any of the above - but I agree, they are over-hyped.

• Like 2

hi,

my case in BKK:

i'm foreigner male and owner of my condo for several years

i'm married - thai wife -  (registered ) and have a son 

last year, i've got easily my yellow B (ket wangthonglang) with my name (only me)

my wife and my son are in the blue B (same adress of course)

you have to do blue B first

so, we have 2 B for one family in one adress

the end

• Like 2

I read these posts where people actually brag about NOT having a yellow book or a ID-card. EVEN if it is not life-threatening NOT to have a yellow house-book, it is so much easier to actually have one.

You prove you address at immigration, you prove your address at the bank when applying for new accounts, you prove your address when applying for driver-license and so on...

I can not see any bad in all that.... But I agree to live a life here with just walking around in Pattaya and other tourist-places and not actually doing anyting at all besides drinking beer, then I agree stay home, dont get a housebook or a ID-card.. You will probably survive anyhow....

Edited by glegolo
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I've been here for 16 years and have never bothered with them, I've not encountered anything yet that I can't do without one just as easily, apart from join in the bar room bragging contest about who's the most Thai farang in the group.:post-4641-1156694572:

it's not about being bothered with them.

Once you purchase a condo and given the title the Bluebook comes automatically - no bother, no charge, no paperwork.

it is a bother for the developer, that's why he gets the big bucks.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

A condo has a blue book, so if a foreigner owns a condo he also has a blue book. But the foreigner can not be registered as a resident in this blue book (unless he has permanent residency). So most foreigners who own a condo just have a blue book without any registered residents

What is this book? I've have a few condos, never a book, never a problem selling. So obviously it isn't necessary.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

What is this book? I've have a few condos, never a book, never a problem selling. So obviously it isn't necessary.

May not be necessary for some, my house Bluebook has my children and wife in it.

I have a condo Bluebook which has a friends child in it.

I use it regularly for Residence Certs.

Edited by VYCM

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

A condo has a blue book, so if a foreigner owns a condo he also has a blue book. But the foreigner can not be registered as a resident in this blue book (unless he has permanent residency). So most foreigners who own a condo just have a blue book without any registered residents

I am American, I own a condo in foreign name, in my name, I am not a permanent resident, and I have a yellow book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgarbo said:

In your case the book may have been lost but there definitely is a Tabien Baan (blue book) issued for all condos and houses before they are legally occupied.

Without it, you can't get electricity and water connected. 

I think condo developers give their customers a blue book in case the actually want to register themselves at that address but it is completely pointless and a waste of paper, since anyone who is entitled to a blue book can go and register at the district office, whether they have the blank blue book or not. I got one given a blank blue book when I bought a condo but I didn't want to register at that address and promptly lost the blue book without any consequences.  I got a blue book at another address without having a blank book beforehand when I got my permanent residence.  District offices are only allowed to register Thai citizens and permanent residents in blue books.  Yellow books are for temporary foreign residents and used to be hard to get depending on the district office.  But in 2008 an amendment to the Civil Registration Act made it compulsory for district offices to register all foreigners living in their districts, excluding tourists.  To sum up the blue book you get from condo developers is completely meaningless and useless unless you are Thai or a permanent resident or have Thai family who want to register at that address. In most cases you can just throw it in the bin.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I think condo developers give their customers a blue book in case the actually want to register themselves at that address but it is completely pointless and a waste of paper, since anyone who is entitled to a blue book can go and register at the district office, whether they have the blank blue book or not.

I assume when you build a house / condo and register the build at the amphoe to get for example a house number for it the amphoe produces the blue book in this process

On 9/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, jackdd said:

I have the Big Yellow Card with my name in it in Thai, I also have The Blue Book with the previous owners and her children name in it - they are not listed any longer but I have been told to keep the Blue Book as it is still an official document concerning the Condo, useless, but evidently important.  

9 hours ago, jackdd said:
9 hours ago, newnative said:

I am American, I own a condo in foreign name, in my name, I am not a permanent resident, and I have a yellow book.

And what does this have to do with the blue book now?

settles the argument  Blue vs Yellow books.  I think..............I have both

• Like 1

19 hours ago, anfh said:

Someone said you get a Yellow Book “if registered “ I have no idea what this actually means, since it is highly unlikely  ( extremely difficult ) to be registered as a Thai resident .

I was replying to the OP who said he met some foreigners who own a condo but only have a blue book. That means they’re not registered as it’s impossible for a foreigner to be registered in a blue book. If they are registered it would need to be in a yellow book. 

On 9/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

A condo owner can a have a blue house book and then obtain a yellow house book based upon the blue one so that they have proof of residence if needed. And a pink ID card as well. 

I have a condo and  yellow book for the past 3 yrs but never heard about the pink card, can you please, provide more details, where and how to apply, thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I have a condo and  yellow book for the past 3 yrs but never heard about the pink card, can you please, provide more details, where and how to apply, thanks

You apply for it at the Amphoe where you got your yellow house book. It should not require anything more than your house books and passport to apply for it. It can vary by Amphoe so best to ask them what they require.

Here is a pic of one.

image.png.b6cf1e8068dfdf6d1a7285789ceb88cc.png